Mel's big board updated

Beerball

His rankings...not a mock...fwiw

1. Calvin Johnson*, WR, Georgia Tech (6-4, 225) | previous: Same

He's not only a tremendous athlete, but he's a hard worker and very team oriented. Based on the needs of the Raiders and Lions, Johnson might not be the No. 1 overall pick, but he won't fall out of the top five.

2. Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin (6-6½, 313) | previous: Same

Huge, quick and athletic with a long wingspan.

3. Adrian Peterson*, RB, Oklahoma (6-1½, 218) | previous: 5

The most talented running back in the draft with an excellent burst to the outside for his size. The concern with Peterson is his durability.

4. Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame (6-3½, 225) | previous: 3

Poised, smart and at his best in pressure situations. Quinn did throw two interceptions in the Sugar Bowl after throwing just one INT in his previous eight games.

5. JaMarcus Russell*, QB, LSU (6-6, 260) | previous: 4

Big, strong signal caller with a powerful arm, and his decision-making improved significantly in 2006.

6. Jamaal Anderson*, DE, Arkansas (6-5, 270) | previous: Same

A gifted athlete who is coming off an exceptional 2006 season. Anderson is a complete player, equally solid against the run and as a pass rusher.

7. Alan Branch*, DT, Michigan (6-5½, 328) | previous: 8

Huge and athletic, Branch is a true space-eater along the interior. Once his technique improves, watch out!

8. Ted Ginn Jr.*, WR, Ohio State (5-11, 175) | previous: 9

Takes a backseat to no one in the speed department, brings a big-play dimension to the wide receiver position and also the return game.

9. Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville (6-1½, 298) | previous: 13

A four-year veteran, and he is only 19 years old. Okoye is quick and explosive and goes all-out on every play. He is not only good at eating up space but also gets good penetration into the backfield.

10. Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson (6-4½, 260) | previous: Same

Flashes dominating ability with his athleticism and quickness. Adams led the Tigers with 10½ sacks and 15½ tackles for loss.

11. LaRon Landry, DB, LSU (6-1½, 205) | previous: 12

Four-year starter who has proven to be Mr. Reliable throughout his career.

12. Reggie Nelson*, S, Florida (5-11½ 198) | previous: 7

Outstanding player who can hit like a safety and excel in coverage like a cornerback. That unique combination makes him a highly regarded prospect.

13. Dwayne Jarrett*, WR, USC (6-4, 210) | previous: 14

Has the size and natural receiving skills to create mismatches against smaller cornerbacks. Jarrett also has better quickness out of his break than people give him credit for.

14. Levi Brown, OT, Penn St. (6-4½, 325) | previous: 19

Steady and reliable at protecting the quarterback's blind side.

15. Charles Johnson*, DE, Georgia (6-2, 280) | previous: 17

Not only gifted from a pure talent standpoint, but he also has the work ethic to match. Johnson is active, alert and extremely productive.

16. Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska (6-6, 298) | previous: 24

You don't see many defensive ends carrying 300 pounds who can move as well as Carriker.

17. Leon Hall, CB, Michigan (5-11, 193) | previous: 11

Tough customer who also shows very good anticipation and awareness in coverage.

18. Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU (6-2, 217) | previous: Unranked

Big and productive, Bowe runs excellent routes and has the toughness to catch the ball in traffic.

19. Robert Meachem*, WR, Tennessee (6-2½, 210) | previous: 15

Came through with a number of highlight-film plays in 2006. If he runs well at the combine, Meachem could elevate his status in the weeks leading up to the draft.

20. Sidney Rice*, WR, South Carolina (6-3, 200) | previous: 21

An angular wide-out with a nice burst out of his break and above-average hands. The key for Rice will be how well he runs at the combine workouts.

21. Lawrence Timmons*, LB, Florida St. (6-2¼, 233) | previous: 23

Moves right to the top of a very subpar linebacking group, particularly from the senior class. Timmons' production and consistency from game to game are what jumps out at you.

22. Anthony Spencer, DE, Purdue (6-2½, 261) | previous: 25

He became a much more effective pass rusher in 2006 for the Boilermakers. The key at the next level will be his athleticism and versatility, because I project he'll be an ideal outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

23. Tim Crowder, DE, Texas (6-3¼, 273) | previous: Unranked

Consistent and reliable in his career, but became more of a playmaker for the Longhorns in 2006.

24. Marshawn Lynch*, RB, California (5-11, 224) | previous: 18

Complete big back, right on the heels of Adrian Peterson when it comes to who will be the top RB in the draft.

25. Aaron Ross, CB, Texas (6-0½, 196) | previous: Unranked

An instinctive tackler who has excellent ball skills. Ross led the Longhorns in 2006 with six interceptions and broke up 19 passes. He also finished third on the team in tackles with 80.

Willis still isn't up there? I love Mel, but that's a major mistake.

Willis looked bad in pass coverage during Senior Bowl week, I mean really bad. Any player you pick in the 1st round you expect that player to be on the field for more than the first two downs. Plus if the Bills ever drafted him, I could only imagine how Brady and Pennington would be able to take serious advantage of a player like Willis. Can someone be taught good coverage skills?

Willis looked bad in pass coverage during Senior Bowl week, I mean really bad. Any player you pick in the 1st round you expect that player to be on the field for more than the first two downs. Plus if the Bills ever drafted him, I could only imagine how Brady and Pennington would be able to take serious advantage of a player like Willis. Can someone be taught good coverage skills?

This is particularly true given the importance of the MLB in the Tampa 2 and this player having the versatility to both tackle like a DT and pass cover like a safety.

Even if he can pass cover in man to man well, this does not mean he necessarily has the skills to perform zone coverage at a sufficient level to be our starting MLB in a Cover 2.

If in fact he even has trouble doing man to man coverage well, an already bad choice for us to start at MLB just got ranked worse.

This is particularly true given the importance of the MLB in the Tampa 2 and this player having the versatility to both tackle like a DT and pass cover like a safety.

Even if he can pass cover in man to man well, this does not mean he necessarily has the skills to perform zone coverage at a sufficient level to be our starting MLB in a Cover 2.

If in fact he even has trouble doing man to man coverage well, an already bad choice for us to start at MLB just got ranked worse.

Good Point.....Timmons may be the only choice.....

I'd have a hard time passing up Ted Ginn or Jarrett in our spot, regardless of "need".

i wouldnt touch Jarrett unless Marv and Dick are ready to put a LOT of time and energy into keeping him sane and happy. and unfortunately, the forces that keep him happy are opposite from the ones that will help him mature.

if we draft Jarrett, i guarantee that he will be the next player run out of town Henry/McGahee-style

Ginn Jr on the other hand seems like an upstanding individual. a lot of good mentoring/coaching/parenting. used to small/great lakes towns. i want us to address defensive needs at 12, but i wouldnt cry too much if we snagged Ginn Jr.

12. Reggie Nelson*, S, Florida (5-11½ 198) | previous: 7

Outstanding player who can hit like a safety and excel in coverage like a cornerback. That unique combination makes him a highly regarded prospect.

He can't seriously have us taking ANOTHER safety. No way.

I have as much or more respect for old people than anyone but if Marv does that we are in big trouble.

I would think any player at this level would have to have the ability to learn pretty quickly. The difference between a college

playbook and a pro playbook is night and day. So I would think that being "coachable" is probably what separates the really good players from the guys with all the strength and speed but can't put it together on the field. I'm not for Willis one way or the other, but I think the Senior Bowl is more about basic playing ability since I don't think the coaches bother with putting any real playbook together for one game. Seems to me like a glorified Combine.

I would think any player at this level would have to have the ability to learn pretty quickly. The difference between a college

playbook and a pro playbook is night and day. So I would think that being "coachable" is probably what separates the really good players from the guys with all the strength and speed but can't put it together on the field. I'm not for Willis one way or the other, but I think the Senior Bowl is more about basic playing ability since I don't think the coaches bother with putting any real playbook together for one game. Seems to me like a glorified Combine.

yeah- the only minor difference is at the combine they run around in their underwear and at the Senioir Bowl they strap on pads and actually perform in game conditons - :worthy:

yeah- the only minor difference is at the combine they run around in their underwear and at the Senioir Bowl they strap on pads and actually perform in game conditons - :worthy:

...to an extent. Hard to say they mimic the game conditions they'll find themselves in if/once they're drafted if there's no motion offensively nor any dogs (blitzes) defensively.