Anybody ever drive on Rt. 13 through Cortland?

Tux of Borg

I was driving through Cortland for the 1st time and came across the local fraternity/sorority section of town. Then I saw two sorority chicks on a teeter totter going up and down. I almost jumped my car up on the curb I was so distracted. Far be it, that I would ever deny these girls the right to have a teeter totter in their front yard, or a trampoline in back. However, I wish they would put up a sign so the easily distracted drivers like myself know in advance. Or perhaps one of those blinking school speed limit signs. :doh:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh* yes. I went to Cortland. Every sorority stereotype you've ever heard is true. Fellas, go and enjoy yourselves... it's a hell of a party school. And not good for ANYTHING else.

As for directions... 90 to Syracuse, 81 towards Binghamton. Exit 11, follow the skeevy Townies and the Dave Matthews music wafting through the windows.

Cortland? i knew i should have go there in an other season! Only time i've been there i went out of the road sliding on snow about 2 miles before the town coming from 'Cuse (and i was going quite fast i could have died that day!). The snow banks were so high my car was intact after the Rosen and the local policeman who helped me was the coolest policemen i ever met!

*sigh* yes. I went to Cortland. Every sorority stereotype you've ever heard is true. Fellas, go and enjoy yourselves... it's a hell of a party school. And not good for ANYTHING else.

As for directions... 90 to Syracuse, 81 towards Binghamton. Exit 11, follow the skeevy Townies and the Dave Matthews music wafting through the windows.

64510[/snapback]

according to my buddy who ran there, it's a good place to go if you want to play d3 sports...as most of their teams are very good.

but get this, they have a renowned track/xc coach on their staff who has a ph.d. in exercise physiology, has written several books, and has worked as a consutant for the united states olympic training center. the guy was featured once in an issue of runners world in an article entitled "world's greatest coach." his name? DR. JACK DANIELS.

now THAT, my friends, is a PARTY SCHOOL. <_<

I was driving through Cortland for the 1st time and came across the local fraternity/sorority section of town.  Then I saw two sorority chicks on a teeter totter going up and down.    I almost jumped my car up on the curb I was so distracted.  Far be it, that I would ever deny these girls the right to have a teeter totter in their front yard, or a trampoline in back.  However, I wish they would put up a sign so the easily distracted drivers like myself know in advance.  Or perhaps one of those blinking school speed limit signs.  :doh:

64488[/snapback]

God, I miss college <_<

Wow...Cortland! In the early 90s, I was just out of school and one of my audit clients was Smith Corona, once the biggest employer in Cortland and the surrounding area. (I was actually there when they announced they were closing the plant and moving all the manufacturing jobs to Mexico. Not a good day). It was a June year end company, so we spent most of July and August working in Cortland. Of course, there was absolutly nothing of interest in that half breed town, so we would spend our nights at the Dark Horse Tavern (amazing wings) or Woodman's Pub, and yes, there were plenty of college cuties hanging around for the summer. I remember there was an annual New Years' Eve bash in August....kinda fun. It was like having an extention college, only with earning a paycheck between 9-5. Ahhh, the good old days.

Hell of a party school and not good for anything else?

What did you do, flunk out of Cortland??

I graduated from there 12 years ago and got a Physical Education job in Northern Virginia immediately after graduation to go along with a Nomination for Fairfax County Teacher of the Year in 1996.  Cortland State had EVERYTHING to do with where I am today.  I also have fellow alumni's teaching in this same county and they would share my views.  Its too bad you had a poor experience with nothing to show for it except getting drunk.  Your in the minority in your views, not majority!!

66817[/snapback]

Teacher of the Year? With a college degree one ought to know the difference between "you're" and "your".

Teacher of the Year?  With a college degree one ought to know the difference between "you're" and "your".

67486[/snapback]

His use of the apostrophe leaves a bit to be desired as well.

“Alumni” is already plural, thus "alumni's teaching" is not correct.

Also, "Its too bad you had a poor experience" Should be "It is..." or "It's..."

:doh:

His use of the apostrophe leaves a bit to be desired as well.

“Alumni” is already plural, thus "alumni's teaching" is not correct.

Also, "Its too bad you had a poor experience" Should be "It is..." or "It's..."

:doh:

67673[/snapback]

I left those alone because I wanted to see what our TOY would come back with. Thanks for piling on!

Hell of a party school and not good for anything else?

What did you do, flunk out of Cortland??

I graduated from there 12 years ago and got a Physical Education job in Northern Virginia immediately after graduation to go along with a Nomination for Fairfax County Teacher of the Year in 1996.  Cortland State had EVERYTHING to do with where I am today.  I also have fellow alumni's teaching in this same county and they would share my views.  Its too bad you had a poor experience with nothing to show for it except getting drunk.  Your in the minority in your views, not majority!!

66817[/snapback]

congratulations coach85. i have a really good friend who graduated from fairfax county schools (chantilly, i believe)and she had only good things to say about them. she graduated in'96, and just finished her ph.d. at jmu last spring.

anyone (or should i say, everyone?)can make grammar mistakes tapping out informal notes on an internet message boards...but hardly anyone can deal with roomfuls of hyperactive adolescents!

and regarding cortland, education is what you make of it. it's possible to get a world class education just about anywhere if you are willing to work hard enough. but really, it's not even an issue at cortland...i happen to know their phys. ed. program is top-notch. jack daniels aside, a ton of p.e. research comes out of cortland every year...i'm sure you had some excellent profs. we had some fantastic ones at temple as well...another "party" school.

Well, no. Actually I did graduate from there, in 4 years, with a BA in Communications. (Easy major... I almost felt guilty.) And no, I didn't spend my college experience getting drunk. In fact, I never got drunk once. I only went out to the local bars twice, and drank Cokes. Yes, I know, not your typical college experience. But it didn't appeal to me. Did I have fun? At times, yes. I had some cool teachers, some interesting classes, my own sports column in the Dragon Chronicle, and some wonderful friends. But on the whole, I felt trapped. Maybe that's not so much Cortland as it is the college experience as a whole, but I felt like there were too many stereotypical people doing too many stereotypical things. Not to mention the fact that there were many times I didn't feel safe (during my Orientation weekend, we went downtown and as soon as we got out of the car, the cops showed up and arrested some mullet-head with a baby for drug possession).

Congratulations for your experience with Cortland. I regret to say I didn't have the same. Maybe it's because Cortland is primarily a school for teachers and physical education, and I went for journalism. My major was thrown by the wayside, quite often. Just remember, not everyone can have the same experience as you.

*P.S.... the Cortaca Jug was fabulous my senior year!*