Your opinion on the President's State of the Union Address

I always watch. Guess I enjoy the pomp and circumstance of the whole affair, seeing our entire government in one place, watching the President carry out his duty, that sort of thing.

The speech itself was pretty good, but outside of announcing some new initiatives, its usually mostly rhetoric.

Fox News did something interesting. While Bush was walking out, Brit Hume turned off his microphone so we could all hear what all the banter between Bush and the staff members and members of Congress was about. Nothing Earth shattering, but an interesting look behind the curtains, sp to speak.

BTW...Jim Webb? Very impressive. Guy was still a jerkoff for threateneing to punch the President, but his "response" was very, very good. It actually had some sobstance behind it instead of the usual "hes wrong, we are right" nonsense that Reid and/or Pelosi puked up year after year.

I always watch. Guess I enjoy the pomp and circumstance of the whole affair, seeing our entire government in one place, watching the President carry out his duty, that sort of thing.

The speech itself was pretty good, but outside of announcing some new initiatives, its usually mostly rhetoric.

Fox News did something interesting. While Bush was walking out, Brit Hume turned off his microphone so we could all hear what all the banter between Bush and the staff members and members of Congress was about. Nothing Earth shattering, but an interesting look behind the curtains, sp to speak.

BTW...Jim Webb? Very impressive. Guy was still a jerkoff for threateneing to punch the President, but his "response" was very, very good. It actually had some sobstance behind it instead of the usual "hes wrong, we are right" nonsense that Reid and/or Pelosi puked up year after year.

A good speech....rather subdued but nothing like his State of the Union address after 9/11 (I think one of the greatest in history but that's just me). Webb's response was pretty good. Worth watching.

I don't watch Fox a lot but sometimes they do great stuff. Thought their 2004 election night coverage was the best on. It was especially great when the all believed Kerry was going to win.

Webb, wow! He was great. Speaking about inequality first then pulling out that pic of his dad. Very moving. Loved what he said but his and the Democrats 'plan' for Iraq is silly. "We are not going to just pull out but we are leaving." Can't have it both ways, either we leave or we don't.

Agreed about the pomp and circumstance. It also gives you a good idea of what issues are at the fore for the coming year. That kind of direction (not that Congress has to give a whit, but they generally do) is the reason for the SotU.

I'm intrigued about the plan for health insurance deductability. Need to read what the plan is exactly, but it would sure be a step in the right direction. Way too many people w/o insurance (myself included) b/c after everything else, we just. can't. afford. it.

Jim Webb impressed a lot of people last night. That reported dialogue b/w him and Bush was a little uncouth, on both sides. It's understandable that he'd be emotional re: the man who sent his son in harm's way for what he thinks (and bear in mind, he being a former Sec't of the Navy) is "the wrong war." It seemed like Bush wanted/expected Webb to put his fingers to his dimples, grin and say, "My son is doing just plum fine, sir!" Civility is in short supply, and this admin sure hasn't done much to cool the fire.

Agreed about the pomp and circumstance. It also gives you a good idea of what issues are at the fore for the coming year. That kind of direction (not that Congress has to give a whit, but they generally do) is the reason for the SotU.

I'm intrigued about the plan for health insurance deductability. Need to read what the plan is exactly, but it would sure be a step in the right direction. Way too many people w/o insurance (myself included) b/c after everything else, we just. can't. afford. it.

Jim Webb impressed a lot of people last night. That reported dialogue b/w him and Bush was a little uncouth, on both sides. It's understandable that he'd be emotional re: the man who sent his son in harm's way for what he thinks (and bear in mind, he being a former Sec't of the Navy) is "the wrong war." It seemed like Bush wanted/expected Webb to put his fingers to his dimples, grin and say, "My son is doing just plum fine, sir!" Civility is in short supply, and this admin sure hasn't done much to cool the fire.

I thought it was a good speech, but im done with listening to empty rhetoric on either side of the isle. Go do what needs to be done. Cut taxes. Privatize social security. Get Iraqis to protect their own country and get out of there. Find Bin Laden. Secure our borders. Balance the budget. Develop alternative energy. Foster strong international relationships. Stop arguing with each other, and SHUT UP. With the exception of social security privatization, there shouldn't be an objectionable item on that list! Talk is okay, but results matter. Git'R'Done

I found the first part very funny. All of a sudden he's found the religion of balanced budgets and oil conservation. I laughed out loud when he said that sh-- with a straight face. The rest basically confirmed he may be the worst president in history.

I loved the typical political BS: balance the budget; without tax increases; but, at least a half dozen new spending programs...

I found the first part very funny. All of a sudden he's found the religion of balanced budgets and oil conservation. I laughed out loud when he said that sh-- with a straight face. The rest basically confirmed he may be the worst president in history.

I loved the typical political BS: balance the budget; without tax increases; but, at least a half dozen new spending programs...

Thats my point. Actually, Bush has been TALKING about oil conservation for years. Has ANYTHING actually been done about it? I personally feel conservation is the wrong way to go, but rather development of economical alternatives to oil...but thats a reasonable debate that reasonable people can have.

On your other point. Cutting taxes does NOT mean cutting revenue to the government. In fact, it often does the exact opposite. That doesnt mean we should spend MORE money...but rather further cut taxes to establish an equilibrium lower tax rate. Im against most new spending programs, as I think they cause an over-reliance on the government and degradation of personal responsibility. The federal government is just too big and too intrusive, and as a result is unable to adapt to the quickly changing world we are now in.