How many pushups can you do without arching your back?

Tux of Borg

I can probably do 100 staight up. I do pushups after bench and I modify them. My pushups are done on a swiss exercise ball and I do a 4-2-2 count- that is 4 seconds on the negative, pause at the bottom for 2 seconds, then 2 seconds to push up- all on a ball. I usually do 50- incredible pump!

I've never been in a situation where I've fallen flat on my face and the easiest option wasn't just to roll over and stand up. And as many times as I've considered it, I don't think as hard as I push I'll get the world to move.

My answer is 0, simply because I think pushups are a pointless exercise. There are MUCH better alternatives for every muscle group. Push ups are a good way to put unneeded stress on your shoulders.

I'm training to do a triatholon this summer. I've been spending 4 to 5 hours a day at Bally's in Orchard Park training. My body fat is down 9% and I'm down 15 lbs since October. I usually work out pretty regularly but I'm in overdrive since this latest ambition.

I win :D

T_R

I've never been in a situation where I've fallen flat on my face and the easiest option wasn't just to roll over and stand up. And as many times as I've considered it, I don't think as hard as I push I'll get the world to move.

My answer is 0, simply because I think pushups are a pointless exercise. There are MUCH better alternatives for every muscle group. Push ups are a good way to put unneeded stress on your shoulders.

Only if you do them with your shoulders and not line up your arms correctly to use your chest. It's a chest excercise more than a shoulder excercise. They help you to be able control your own body weight. I'll admit they aren't exactly the best excercise but they are nice if you can't get to the gym.

t_r

It's a chest excercise more than a shoulder excercise.

I agree 100%, IF they are done perfectly. Most people don't do them correctly, or do the first handful correctly and that's it.

And then they wonder why their shoulders hurt.

And most people that don't "have time for the gym" just aren't trying.

Good luck with the triathlon!!

I agree 100%, IF they are done perfectly. Most people don't do them correctly, or do the first handful correctly and that's it.

I agree, blind ambition is like none at all IMO. Thanks for the wishes but man let me tell you this training is much harder than anything I've ever done. 15 mile bike rides, 100 length swims and 5 mile runs 3 times a week. That's nearly 2 1/2 hours of cardio. I'm starting to really see alot of definition in my body but man... it really will get ya. That's only those three days. The other 2 or 3 I do specific muscle group training. I'm built like a Brick sh-- house.... lol

If anyone is a member at Bally's out here let me know. I'd love to have another work out buddy. I can only shuffle my 400 songs on my Ipod so many times....

T_R

I'm training to do a triatholon this summer. I've been spending 4 to 5 hours a day at Bally's in Orchard Park training. My body fat is down 9% and I'm down 15 lbs since October. I usually work out pretty regularly but I'm in overdrive since this latest ambition.

I win :D

T_R

BTW The Real-I am 37 years old, 10% body fat, I weigh 210- not bad for an old man. Thats great you are training for a triatholon. Is it an Ironman? Props to you- way to go!

Actually most people don't do most exercises correctly whether it be in the gym or body weight exercises. Push-ups are effective as is the bench press.

I don't have time for the gym, I do martial arts and I don't really have the time to hit the gym as well and a lot of the people I know that come to my classes are ripped and yet don't touch weights.

Only if you do them with your shoulders and not line up your arms correctly to use your chest. It's a chest excercise more than a shoulder excercise. They help you to be able control your own body weight. I'll admit they aren't exactly the best excercise but they are nice if you can't get to the gym.

t_r

Well there are a different set of push up exercises you can do. Dive bomber push ups ( or better known as chinese push ups), close grip for the tricep, ballistic push ups ( pushing yourself off the ground) , etc. They are as effective, and sometimes more (in some cases) than weights.

Meazza's right. For usable strength (this may not apply to those who have to regularly lift 300 lbs off their chest or often find hundreds of pounds on the shoulders and suddenly feel the need to dip down), body weight exercises are often much better than what most people do in the gym.

Meazza's right. For usable strength (this may not apply to those who have to regularly lift 300 lbs off their chest or often find hundreds of pounds on the shoulders and suddenly feel the need to dip down), body weight exercises are often much better than what most people do in the gym.

Like I said, it all depends on your goal/needs. If you're in football, most likely the weights is the best thing for you, but a lot of boxers and other types of athletes stick to body weight as well. Applied properly, both are effective.