Wilson's flea infested

oregonbbfan

I have heard so much about Wilson being cheap, frugal or just a good businessman. And yes, he is all of them but does he want to go out without a Super Bowl win? How he acts this free agency will tell us.

Don't get me wrong on this, I like wilson for what he has done in Buffalo. I was there in Buffalo when he bought the team for the franchise fee of $25K. He has taken a franchise and made a load of money over these 46 years in addition to his other business. So he has plenty of money that he has drawn from Buffalo. It is time for him to give back!

First, how much money is enough to leave to family? I know all will say it's not my money but I and all of you have contributed to his wealth and there are ways to be competitive with the big boys. Wilson is very conservative, almost like he's afraid he'll go broke. Again, he has a limited time left and he needs to spend as follows:

Give stadium naming rights

Take a portion of the value of the franchise ( $600+ mil) borrowing $50 or $100 mil for a big FA splash. So only leaves his family $500+ mil less taxes. Really tough. Does he want to win or not!

Sell a portion of the franchise to a partner for whatever % he's comfortable with for $50-100 mil.

And there are plenty of other ways he can utilize some of the assets that BUFFALOIANS gave him.

So, we all know he cannot compete with the Snyders and Jones long term, but he can short term, which is all he has.

So, I don't want to hear he doesn't have the money , he does! Now, is he stubborn , insecure , not creative or as some say, CHEAP.

I hope he is willing to spend some of the many dollars the fans have given him and use it wisely for the bonuses required to be compelitivein the FA market. The Jones and Snyders will not sit idly by so Marv and the rest of the staff must be wise, but get the needed free agents even if we must overpay a couple years. We need to show a committment. Just be sure they are long term and cap friendly.

This all seems pie in the shy but Wilson needs to go out with a splash and a Super Bowl! Spend it Ralph, you can't take it with you!

I think history has shown that you can't buy a Super Bowl. It helps, but $$$ are no guarentee. Ask Daniel Snyder.

PTR

Agreed, but is he willing to pay a couple of key contracts out in free agency to maintain the growth that we have seen in this team, or are we going to go with more rookies and free agent cast-offs

Agree, that's why I said the staff needs to be wise in the decisions. If we don't spend the money, we may, I say may put a great team together. In todays NFL you cannot take 5-8 years to build a team. All the players you've drafted become free agents and are picked off by the rich teams. We need to find the way and money to make a big splash this year in FA and the draft. In the draft it may be smart to trade second day draft picks to nmove up to 3 or 4 higher first day picks that will be impact types. Again, we cannot miss on these picks but along with a good FA will put this team over the top.

Its true you cant buy a Super Bowl like the Redskins have been trying to do, however, there are plenty of guys that would fit very well with the Bills.

For example.....Nate Clemets fits well with the Bills, being 40 Million under the cap there is NO reason NOT to be able to resign Clements. Honestly we could could resign Clements, Fletcher, Denny, Thomas, ect.. and then some.

If they let Clements walk to me it dont make any sense. And if they let Clements walk it wont give me the impression they are THAT serious about making a run at a championship. You cant let your big players always get away. Once in a while you have to open the checkbook to keep them.

So honestly, I see no reasons as to why we cant keep Clements, but im sure we will hear several excuses.......

Yes we CAN sign Nate. We can fit it under the newer, inflated salary cap. Just because we can, does not mean we should.

Signing Nate means HUGE a upfront signing bonus (that's real cash folks), and a significant dent into our salary cap for the future. We've had Nate for what 5-6 years now? He's a good to very good corner, but he's not as good as he thinks he is. "Playmaker?" please. There were 32 players with more interceptions than Nate. THIRTY-TWO. Not counting the eight others tied with him. It's a trend with him. He's only got 9 interceptions for the last 4 years. Two CB's (Samuel & Bailey) had 10 this year alone. two interceptions a year.... Not worth Top money.

If JP makes another step forward next year along with Lee Evens, I'd rather have that money to give to them. Or allow us to overpay some big mauling guards. I'd much rather grab the biggest and best Olinemen available than one self-inflated CB.

There's trade-offs to keeping Nate, and I don't like them. He wants too much money. I'd rather get better value out of my money.

Y'all may be surprised to hear this, but...

I've seen in the Boston media that NE was about $10M under the cap this year (and/or in recent years) too. They're in the AFC Championship. Does this make Bob Kraft cheap? It's a business decision based on the facts on the ground, and the state of the current personnel and who they could reasonably add to make an impact, and the value/opportunity cost of such.

I actually agree with the above stadium naming rights qualm, tho. Ralph severely under-values it in his public statements.... but then again I think the real reason he refuses to sell it is an 'overcommercialization of the game' principle. Until he does sell naming, people like Snyder, Jones et al. can lord it over him with a valid business point that Ralph doesn't maximize his profits, so why should they be forced to share their revenues with him?

Yes we CAN sign Nate. We can fit it under the newer, inflated salary cap. Just because we can, does not mean we should.

Signing Nate means HUGE a upfront signing bonus (that's real cash folks), and a significant dent into our salary cap for the future. We've had Nate for what 5-6 years now? He's a good to very good corner, but he's not as good as he thinks he is. "Playmaker?" please. There were 32 players with more interceptions than Nate. THIRTY-TWO. Not counting the eight others tied with him. It's a trend with him. He's only got 9 interceptions for the last 4 years. Two CB's (Samuel & Bailey) had 10 this year alone. two interceptions a year.... Not worth Top money.

If JP makes another step forward next year along with Lee Evens, I'd rather have that money to give to them. Or allow us to overpay some big mauling guards. I'd much rather grab the biggest and best Olinemen available than one self-inflated CB.

There's trade-offs to keeping Nate, and I don't like them. He wants too much money. I'd rather get better value out of my money.

Clements had 3 picks in 03

6 picks in 04

2 picks in 05

3 picks in 06

How does that equate to 9 in 4 years? And yes, he is worth the money. Ask Perry Fewell if he thinks Nate is worth re-signing.

One would think Ralph would want to see his team win the big one while he was still breathing...I hope so.