Fletcher needs to be resigned

billsevans

London Fletcher-Baker needs to be resigned. If you think about it he has been a positive play maker on the defense. With Spikes always out and the other linebacker position up for grabs he has been a leader. This year may have been his best season ever for him since he has entered Buffalo. With a young defensive, but much improving keeping him would make the linebacking crew tha much stronger. But they'll be a typical Buffalo Bills team and release their good playersand say that their in a rebuilding process.

I like Fletch, but his position is due for an upgrade. He's on the wrong side of 30, isn't particularly fast, and cannot shed blockers to make a tackle. Sure he's made some plays, (especially this past year) but I want a MLB that's going to blow through a blocker and make a tackle near the line of scrimmage not 5-8 yards downfield. Sorry London, you've been a good hard player for the team, a leader, and an asset to the community but it's time to get younger and more athletic at that position.

London Fletcher-Baker needs to be resigned. If you think about it he has been a positive play maker on the defense. With Spikes always out and the other linebacker position up for grabs he has been a leader. This year may have been his best season ever for him since he has entered Buffalo. With a young defensive, but much improving keeping him would make the linebacking crew tha much stronger. But they'll be a typical Buffalo Bills team and release their good playersand say that their in a rebuilding process.

The problem isn't the Bills making an attempt (they will if he fits their plans next season) but it seems he does not want back here anymore. If thats the case, let him go, he can be replaced.

This is a 7-9 team, everyone should know, all of them can be replaced

I love Fletch, but he is undersized and his tackle numbers hide his deficiencies. We need to upgrade our size in the middle and I vote for a Robaire Smith free agent signing and Patrick Willis in the first round to address this.

agree, another option is to have spikes or Crowell move inside and getting a OLB later in round 2.

Fletcher was a great leader and an extremely durible player but I want an attacking MLB for this defense.

London, thanks for your time in Buffalo but it is time to move in a new direction. I hope you have great success somewhere in the NFC and retire a wealthy, and heathy man.

I like Fletch, but his position is due for an upgrade. He's on the wrong side of 30, isn't particularly fast, and cannot shed blockers to make a tackle. Sure he's made some plays, (especially this past year) but I want a MLB that's going to blow through a blocker and make a tackle near the line of scrimmage not 5-8 yards downfield. Sorry London, you've been a good hard player for the team, a leader, and an asset to the community but it's time to get younger and more athletic at that position.

How many MLBs meet your standards? Urlacher and...?

I love Fletch, but he is undersized and his tackle numbers hide his deficiencies. We need to upgrade our size in the middle and I vote for a Robaire Smith free agent signing and Patrick Willis in the first round to address this.

I also agree with the fact that he is undersized as far as height is concerned. Now London has good speed still, instincts, heart but he is just a bit short to be in the middle covering some of today's tight ends.

agree, another option is to have spikes or Crowell move inside and getting a OLB later in round 2.

I think the idea of Crowell moving back to MLB where he was drafted, played a coouple of years behind Fletcher, did a nice jog at MLB when called upon in a couple of pre-season games, and was by far our best LB sub overall and injuries forced him into the starting lineup out of position is our best alternative for finding another MLB when/if Fletch goes.

Willis looks like a great player, (though most pundits rank him as below the 12th best player in the draft so perhaps we can trade down if we want him and interestingly some pundits have him behind a couple of OLBs Poluszny and Timmons) but as he does not bring several things to the table that F-B brings (things no rookie can replace such as him being D captain and 10 years of seeing NFL plays which he uses to play the MLN deep zone in the Tampa 2 we use and other factors he would simply have be one of the best LBs in football as a rookie to lead all LBs in INTs as F-B did this- and I am not saying Fletch is one of the best LBs in the NFL since he is not but does anyone seriously expect Willis to get the highest number of INTs among NFL LBs next year) I suspect the Bills D will take a step back in production next year unless we have a vet manning the MLB role.

I think it makes far more sense in terms of producing a better producing D next year to:

1. Move Crowell to MLB (his recovery from injury allowing) and get a quality OLB from FA (my first choice if we want to be more certain to get better) or potentially draft one of the better OLBs.

2. Get a vet replacement whom we know what he can do (he should be familiar with the Tampa 2 and excelled at diagnosing plays as the MLB is called upon to both cover like a safety and plug holes in our D.

TKO does not seem like an option to me to move to be starting MLB. His comeback in the 1st game was quite impressive (for a couple of series) but the hammy injury that sidelined him for 4 games and seemed to slow him for much of the season leaves an even bigger injury recovery question mark with him than with Crowell.

He alreatdt was shifted by us to SLB from WLB in an attempt seemed designed to lower the running he needed to do last year and the idea we are now going to shift him to a position requiring him to cover sideline to sideline seems quite unlikely and a bad idea even if he is a vet).

The best choice of these options would actually seem to me to be to resign Fletch. It is unfortunate in that the team has simply not be able to win consistently with him at MLB and D captain so no one should be under the illusion that this D would not need serious improvement even if he were resigned.

However, it is not that I am saying the D would be great if Fletch would be resigned, but simply that I think it will be worse than last year without some far better play from the DTs (the prime source of our D weakness last year) and actually is likely to be quite worse with even a talented rookie starting at MLB as the rest of the team would need to be called upon to replace a number of Fletcher skills (like it or not he did lead NFL LBs in INTs and this team in INTs last year and like it or not the question for the MLB is not simply whether he has good one on one coverage skills which Willis seems to have, but how well his play diagnosis and zone coverage skills are as the MLB plays the deep zone more like a safety in the Tampa 2).

It is both true that Willis can play some of the best LB by a rookie next year and also that the D will take a step back as our rookie MLB learns how to become an NFL vet by making a bunch of mistakes playing starting MLB in our Jauron/Fewell MLB driven version of the Tampa 2.

Whereas one could make an arguement that London Fletcher-Baker needs to be re-signed, methinks Mr. Fletcher-Baker and his fan base in WNY need to be resigned to the fact that Marv will probably no re-sign him. London will likely need to pursue his options elsewhere by signing with another team - or else resign from the team and retire from the league entirely.

There are few options for him and The Bills. Their rebuilding process is only beginning. They're not likely to re-sign him.

Two roads met in a wood. To be or not to be. Too many to count. Our hour is nearer than the ewe thinks - are you then?

I am with you. They need a player who can be more physical around the line of scrimmage, which Fletcher can't do with his undersized frame.

Unfortunately, it's not a bumper crop of FA MLBs this year. But, Marv had no reluctance in offering deals to RFAs last season, so maybe he can make some hay there.

How many MLBs meet your standards? Urlacher and...?

Is it really too much to ask for a starting MLB to shed some blockers and be more of a force near the line of scrimmage? I think there are a lot of NFL MLBs other than Urlacher that satisfy these lofty standards.

Whereas one could make an arguement that London Fletcher-Baker needs to be re-signed, methinks Mr. Fletcher-Baker and his fan base in WNY need to be resigned to the fact that Marv will probably no re-sign him. London will likely need to pursue his options elsewhere by signing with another team - or else resign from the team and retire from the league entirely.

There are few options for him and The Bills. Their rebuilding process is only beginning. They're not likely to re-sign him.

Two roads met in a wood. To be or not to be. Too many to count. Our hour is nearer than the ewe thinks - are you then?

Well put.

Signed,

billsfanm.d. :blink:

Is it really too much to ask for a starting MLB to shed some blockers and be more of a force near the line of scrimmage? I think there are a lot of NFL MLBs other than Urlacher that satisfy these lofty standards.

Granted it is not to much to ask for an MLB to be powerful and big enough to shed blockers and plug the line if not simply power through it to make the tackle. However, it is asking quite a bit (and generally contradictory things) for this powerful backer to also be quick enough to not only tackle from sideline to sideline as MLBs are called to do AND be fast enough to play the deep zones required of the MLB in our Tampa 2 version of the Cover 2 (if you do not recognize that this was the role MLB was asked to play then ask yourself why he led all LBs in the NFL in INTS and actually led the Bills outdoing both the CBs in INTs).

Some are offering the idea that Willis the draft choice with somelihood to be there at #12 has the speed and hitting ability to both plug the gaps on the run and do the coverage.

Maybe as who knows as the draft is often a crapshoot even among the professionals. However, guaranteed that Willis even if he does turn out to be as good as some hope (some pundits have him at about the 20th best pick which coincides with the idea he will be there at #12 but also have him ranked behind OLBs like Poluszny and Timmons) will be a rookie and not have the 10 years or so of seeing pro offenses that Fletcher-Baker brings to the table.

It seems quite doubtful that Willis can be a good replacement for F-B without the MLB performance losing some production.

F-B can certainly be replaced, but probably not well by a rookie and when he is replaced one needs not only to replace his on field skills, but also find a new team leader who can be team captain, find a new leader in INTs that produces at least 4 INTs, a defensive player who scored 2 TDs. a very capable ballhandler not simply as a D player but a player who once has short kickoff return responsibility on the ST.

Folks seem to rag on F-B calling him slow (odd since he is an LB who has shown the capability to cover downfield even against WRs to the tune of getting more INTs than any other LB in the NFL), a weak player (he ain't perfect by any means as he is shorter and smaller than the prototype LB, but he racked up more tackles than any other player in the NFL the last 5 seasons and I assume 6 with this one, and he was credited with twice as many solo tackles as assists so he seems to bring folks down alone).

The complaint about him bringing folks down well past the line seems far more like an indictment of the DL and how the coaches use him than an indictment of him. These complaints would be more credible if they coincided with some acknowledgement of the things he does well or with some objective support but mostly they simply seem to be the usual fact free opinion.

By all means I would love to replace him with a player who helps the team do better, but the whining about him seems fairly devoid of these additions.

Granted it is not to much to ask for an MLB to be powerful and big enough to shed blockers and plug the line if not simply power through it to make the tackle. However, it is asking quite a bit (and generally contradictory things) for this powerful backer to also be quick enough to not only tackle from sideline to sideline as MLBs are called to do AND be fast enough to play the deep zones required of the MLB in our Tampa 2 version of the Cover 2 (if you do not recognize that this was the role MLB was asked to play then ask yourself why he led all LBs in the NFL in INTS and actually led the Bills outdoing both the CBs in INTs).

Some are offering the idea that Willis the draft choice with somelihood to be there at #12 has the speed and hitting ability to both plug the gaps on the run and do the coverage.

Maybe as who knows as the draft is often a crapshoot even among the professionals. However, guaranteed that Willis even if he does turn out to be as good as some hope (some pundits have him at about the 20th best pick which coincides with the idea he will be there at #12 but also have him ranked behind OLBs like Poluszny and Timmons) will be a rookie and not have the 10 years or so of seeing pro offenses that Fletcher-Baker brings to the table.

It seems quite doubtful that Willis can be a good replacement for F-B without the MLB performance losing some production.

F-B can certainly be replaced, but probably not well by a rookie and when he is replaced one needs not only to replace his on field skills, but also find a new team leader who can be team captain, find a new leader in INTs that produces at least 4 INTs, a defensive player who scored 2 TDs. a very capable ballhandler not simply as a D player but a player who once has short kickoff return responsibility on the ST.

Folks seem to rag on F-B calling him slow (odd since he is an LB who has shown the capability to cover downfield even against WRs to the tune of getting more INTs than any other LB in the NFL), a weak player (he ain't perfect by any means as he is shorter and smaller than the prototype LB, but he racked up more tackles than any other player in the NFL the last 5 seasons and I assume 6 with this one, and he was credited with twice as many solo tackles as assists so he seems to bring folks down alone).

The complaint about him bringing folks down well past the line seems far more like an indictment of the DL and how the coaches use him than an indictment of him. These complaints would be more credible if they coincided with some acknowledgement of the things he does well or with some objective support but mostly they simply seem to be the usual fact free opinion.

By all means I would love to replace him with a player who helps the team do better, but the whining about him seems fairly devoid of these additions.

Because he has gotten almost no verbal support or assurances from Bills management, I think it safe to assume that losing F-B would not be a serious hit to the Bills' future. So he makes a few interceptions. So what? How many times does he first contact an opposing RB 4 or 5 yards pass the LOS? How many times has he stopped a RB in his tracks in the backfield? Close to never. This is why it will be adios Fletcher.

In fact I've changed the order of the Bills' needs list to DT and MLB to 1, 2 or 2,1 and OG 3rd.

So he makes a few interceptions. So what? How many times does he first contact an opposing RB 4 or 5 yards pass the LOS? How many times has he stopped a RB in his tracks in the backfield? Close to never. This is why it will be adios Fletcher.

In fact I've changed the order of the Bills' needs list to DT and MLB to 1, 2 or 2,1 and OG 3rd.

Does the Tampa 2 really call for the middle linebacker to be charging into the backfield? I believe our system relies on the defensive line to be the attackers against the run, and Fletch is given the task of getting to the ball carrier if he gets to the second level, which happened quite a bit this year. His tackle numbers show he's handling that task just about as well as we could hope for. Add to that his coverage skills which are important in this system, and he seems like a good option, at least for a couple more seasons.

Correct me if I'm wrong with my understanding of the system as I'm no expert.

Because he has gotten almost no verbal support or assurances from Bills management, I think it safe to assume that losing F-B would not be a serious hit to the Bills' future. So he makes a few interceptions. So what? How many times does he first contact an opposing RB 4 or 5 yards pass the LOS? How many times has he stopped a RB in his tracks in the backfield? Close to never. This is why it will be adios Fletcher.

I am not arguing that Fletcher is so great, what I am arguing is that getting a better LB than Fletcher (I'm not sure who that is because the only firm suggestion I have heard from folks is that he be replaced by draftee Willis and I think folks are whistling in the dark at best if they believe that a rookie MLB is actually going to replace what Fletcher brought to the table for the Bills. Regardless of whether Willis is a far superior athlete to F-B, production by an MLB in our cover is much enhanced by a players ability to make reads and diagnose plays like an NFL vet and it likely will be a painful learning process this team lives through while Willis makes the mistakes necessary for any rookie to become a vet particularly with the MLB zone coverag duties of the Tampa 2 style we run).

While talented rookies can if fact step into the MLB playcalling role, he best analogy for understanding what life with Willis as MLB may well be like is the same thing we just went through with JP calling the offensive signals. While the MLB signal calling and reading is not as complex as the QBs, there is still some added responsibility and reliance on this player in the Jauron/Fewell D which is going to be a long slog for us next year if in fact Willis is our choice as F-Bs replacement.

The other issue for us to note of is that folks make complaints about F-B not being big enough to plug the run gaps well and about his making tackles well beyond the LOS, I think it misses the focus to claim that this is happening because of F-B shortcomings and will be solved by getting a bigger hitter in at F-B.

My sense is that two of the leading issues which would create this problem are:

1. How well is the DL playing, and

2. How are the coaches using the MLB.

My sense is that folks should see and be willing to acknowledge that part of the reason why the MLB may be making his first hit several yards beyond the LOS is that a little thing called our DL and particularly our DTs for runs up the middle. Getting in a faster bigger DL would certainly help with the run stopping but I have yet to see anyone provide any reasons beyond their hopes and wishes that we are not going to merely see a bigger MLB make stops 2- 1/2 yards downfield rather than 3 yards downfield.

Folks may want to claim that F-B is so bad he actually does not make hits until 6 yards downfield or that Willis is so good he will hit the runner 2 yards in the backfield, but their is no objective evidence that this is more than wishful fantasy (for example F-B's tackles weigh toward being solo tackles and not assisted tackles which he would produce more of if this weak player was routinely hanging on for dear life to players he could bring down because he is so light or weak, in addition Willis is impressive as he was the Butkus winner but few pundits have him as being so outstanding a player that he rates as highly relative to the other draftees as a certain top 10 pick such as AJ Hawk was and in fact some pundits have OLBs such as Poluszny and Timmons ranked higher than Willis.

There simply has been no supported argument of Fletcher being that bad or Willis being that good that the problem they site would certainly or even likely be solved by this solution.

Of even greater note is that in many ways these downfield tackles may well be occuring specifically because of how we use the MLB in the Tampa 2. Definitely someone will be the leading Bills INT guy next year even if F-B is gone, but folks needs to recognize that at least part of the reason F-B led NFL LBs in INTs is because the Jauron/Fewell system actually tends to use our MLB in downfield pass coverage more than the norm.

Part of the reason why Fletcher got more INTs than a far more talented LB like a Ray Lewis is that Lewis actually plays more like a DT at time in a 3-4 D which only has one DT while Fletcher plays more like a safety as our MLB divides the field in 3 with our two safeties and plays the deep zone on passing downs.

F-B not only got more INTs than any other LB in the league but also led our team in LBs (more than NC or McGee) and this indicates exactly how we use our MLB. Folks may be wishing that we get a run stuffing MLB but if this player is routinely used in our D to cover the deep zone it does not matter how big he is he still will be making his first hit downfield. If instead he pinches the LOS then we likely will be seeing receivers scampering free with the ball as they catch passes behind Willis who is up at the LOS.

Folks may want to claim (hope/wish) that Willis is so good he will in fact make read to figure out whether he should pinch in for run support or drop back in pass coverage. However, if one is going to rely on this argument they should acknowledge that they are expecting Willis to read plays like a ten year veteran (lets see which MLB on our team at the moment is a 10 year veteran?) and not like a rookie.

I have seen little to indicate that folks attractions to Willis are much more than their love of the new color and the latest fad.

Does the Tampa 2 really call for the middle linebacker to be charging into the backfield? I believe our system relies on the defensive line to be the attackers against the run, and Fletch is given the task of getting to the ball carrier if he gets to the second level, which happened quite a bit this year. His tackle numbers show he's handling that task just about as well as we could hope for. Add to that his coverage skills which are important in this system, and he seems like a good option, at least for a couple more seasons.

Correct me if I'm wrong with my understanding of the system as I'm no expert.

Exactly