One thing is clear

Dan

Watching today's 2 games, one thing is clear: In the playoffs you have to be able to run the ball when you want to and stop the run when you need to. Both the Colts and Saints had huge, time eating drives in the 4th quarter when they needed to protect their lead.

The one glaring thing from this season was that when the Bills needed it most, they couldn't... run or stop the run. That, above all else should be our goal. And in my opinion, that means the lines and LBs need to be the priority. Everyone considering WRs, CBs or worried about Willis need to look at how the Colts and Saints won these games today. It's clear, we have to control the line of scrimmage.

If we don't give Nate the $20 million bonus, I hope we at least make a run at Kris Dielman for a $12 to $15 million bonus. Realistically, he's out of our price range as well, though.

Why? We both know how much cap room exists?

Do you think it to be etched in stone that Mr. Wilson will refuse to spend any money and keep this team 35-40 million dollars under the cap, because if you are right, this really sucks.

I was never one to advocate throwing big money away on bad football players, but if a guy can really help us (Clements, Steinbach, etc.) and the money is there, this can be a playoff team, and I am taklking about next season.

Watching today's 2 games, one thing is clear: In the playoffs you have to be able to run the ball when you want to and stop the run when you need to. Both the Colts and Saints had huge, time eating drives in the 4th quarter when they needed to protect their lead.

The one glaring thing from this season was that when the Bills needed it most, they couldn't... run or stop the run. That, above all else should be our goal. And in my opinion, that means the lines and LBs need to be the priority. Everyone considering WRs, CBs or worried about Willis need to look at how the Colts and Saints won these games today. It's clear, we have to control the line of scrimmage.

Going back to the OP subject, I do agree with part of your post. We absolutely need to be able to run and stop the run to be successful. We do need a great defensive line. However, you then tell us about huge time-eating drives the winning teams accomplished and that we don't have to worry about Willis. When was the last time (excluding Jets game) when we had huge time-eating drives. Whether it be Wills (but I am not holding my breath) or someone else, we need a dominant RB. And I really don't care about Willis's stupid comments - he is not geting the job done on the field. We need him to improve or get an upgrade. Or, get another force in addition to Willis - like the Saints have.

Another thing is also clear, Deuce McAllister's a runningback that runs with heart and refuses to go down without a fight. Willis is not that type of runningback.

Going back to the OP subject, I do agree with part of your post. We absolutely need to be able to run and stop the run to be successful. We do need a great defensive line. However, you then tell us about huge time-eating drives the winning teams accomplished and that we don't have to worry about Willis. When was the last time (excluding Jets game) when we had huge time-eating drives. Whether it be Wills (but I am not holding my breath) or someone else, we need a dominant RB. And I really don't care about Willis's stupid comments - he is not geting the job done on the field. We need him to improve or get an upgrade. Or, get another force in addition to Willis - like the Saints have.

Absolutely agree with the original post and the above post. Good DL is the basis, then LB and OL...CB and DB are secondary. RB is also in need of immediate upgrade...I'm thinking more along lines of 3 or 4th round pick...there's still good value in those rounds for RB. I'm not totally sold on Willis either, as a long term- 4-5 yeears out- solution to RB.

My thought on Willis is that he'll be good enough (perhaps not great) with a great OL. However, even a great back is not going to do much with our OL. So, I think the priority is clear. Why waste time and resources attending to the RB position, when the OL is much more critical? If we get a great line, we can address Willis and all that surrounds him next off season. We all know you can't fixthe entire team, so what I'm talking about is priority, OL over RB. DL over RB. LB over RB. Get the core solid, then worry about the flashy little things like RB.

My thought on Willis is that he'll be good enough (perhaps not great) with a great OL. However, even a great back is not going to do much with our OL. So, I think the priority is clear. Why waste time and resources attending to the RB position, when the OL is much more critical? If we get a great line, we can address Willis and all that surrounds him next off season. We all know you can't fixthe entire team, so what I'm talking about is priority, OL over RB. DL over RB. LB over RB. Get the core solid, then worry about the flashy little things like RB.

So true.

With an extremely promising LT in place, the OL should be easy to address.

I fully believe that if the Bills go after, and land some OGs, LBs, and DTs, they will be a solid enough team to make the playoffs in 07, despite a schedule that appears to be tough. We need to get these teams into RWS and kick their asses in the elements.

There are even enough talented yet unsung players on the Bills for the 07 squad to be one with a reasonable amount of depth. I hope that Marv is capable of addressing the obvious needs of this team.

Great post!!!

So true.

I fully believe that if the Bills go after, and land some OGs, LBs, and DTs, they will be a solid enough team to make the playoffs in 07, despite a schedule that appears to be tough. We need to get these teams into RWS and kick their asses in the elements.

There are even enough talented yet unsung players on the Bills for the 07 squad to be one with a reasonable amount of depth. I hope that Marv is capable of addressing the obvious needs of this team.

Great post!!!

Thanks. And I completely agree. We're really close to being a solid, yearly playoff team. But to do that, we need to get and keep that core. DT, OG, LB - solid players there, along with Peters and Pennington and JP on offense and the upgrades on defense and we'll compete for years.

So true.

Great post!!!

Agree 100 % with both this and previous post.

I am a big Marv Levy fan, read his book, think he's great: However, what IF Marv does not

address the obvious O-line and D-line positions and goes "TD" on us?

Will he get the same treatment as Donahoe?

:w00t:

Agree 100 % with both this and previous post.

I am a big Marv Levy fan, read his book, think he's great: However, what IF Marv does not

address the obvious O-line and D-line positions and goes "TD" on us?

Will he get the same treatment as Donahoe?

:w00t:

In my opinion, it depends upon what happens on the field. He could adress the lines (ala Mike Williams) and do it with the wrong players. By the same token, he may not address any of these positions because he and the coaches may realize something about our current players that we don't yet see. Either way, what's most important is wins and losses and how the team looks on the field.

Marv, for me at least, gets a few years to put a winning team on the field that is consistently in the playoffs. After 1 year, I'm encouraged. But, I'm certainly prepared to say Marv was a great coach but totally blows as a GM, if it comes to that.

Not that I disagree with your point, but you're argument has a glaring weakness, namely...

The Colts and Saints both spent their first round picks on running backs!!!!

Indy hasn't spent a first day pick on an offensive lineman since 1999.

Not that I disagree with your point, but you're argument has a glaring weakness, namely...

The Colts are a good model. They built around Tarik Glenn (1st round 1997) and Jeff Saturday (a free agent in 1999) and added Ryan Diem to that core (4th round 2001) The guard positions have been interchangeable parts -- letting guys lke DeMulling go and developing guys like Scott and Lilja..(By the way--Demulling hasn't been a full-time starter in Detroit--played in 14 games the last two years and started only 5 the first year and 7 this year--)

I think the Bills are on the right path with the OL..you need a strong T and one strong interior Lineman to build around--the Colts chose LT and C -- last night on the final drive the Colts ran to the left about 80% of the time (behind Glenn, with Saturday and Lilja doubling the DT)...we have Peters--what a fantastic find as a FA and now locked up smartly at a reasonable price for the next 5 years and now can spend on a great G without blowing the cap for this position. I think the line will be a strength next year with both depth and quality starters by re-signing Gandy and ponying up for a good larger G who is strong in the run and can handle the bull rush...There are 4 targets--Steinbach (little more finesse than I would like); Davis; Dockery and Dielman...We have been trying to get a gaurd the last two years and spent bucks on Anderson and Reyes---neither worked--lets spend some real cash on a proven commodity instead of the after Christmas aisle at Wal-Mart. Combining what we spent on Anderson and Reyes -- would probably net us Davis...for example...

That's actually exactly what my point is... build the lines and you'll be in the playoffs for years to come. The Colts are just one a couple of teams that have solid lines and are in the playoffs every year, while losing RBs or WRs or whatever.

That's actually exactly what my point is... build the lines and you'll be in the playoffs for years to come. The Colts are just one a couple of teams that have solid lines and are in the playoffs every year, while losing RBs or WRs or whatever.

The Colts' line is one first round pick a decade ago and a bunch of late picks and street free agents. Is that what you propose we do?