New Kiper Big Board

Kuile

Man, Amobi Okoye would be such a gusty pick, but I sort of like it. He is so young, so that means he could really be molded by precise coaching.

While I really don't follow this line of thinking (he's young, but he's still played the same number of years of college ball as the other seniors), but I would pretty excited with that pick.

more amazing than anything is Okoye play college football at 16, at 16!!! right now he sould be a soph, his best days have not even come. He is done growing either, in 2 years he will be a dominating force. However at the same time we might not see his best days, since we can't re-sign players anymore.

12. Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville (6-1½, 298) | previous: 5

A four-year veteran, and he is only 19 years old. Okoye is quick and explosive and goes all-out on every play. He is not only good at eating up space but also gets good penetration into the backfield. He's second on the Cardinals in both sacks and tackles for loss.

For my money this would be the pick....

He isn't just good now.....he is young and has room to improve....

This looks like the type of player that the bills would covet.....he gets penetration so they dont have to go away from their tampa 2 concept...but he is also a run clogger......

Get our OG through free agency....and the team has been improved dramatically....

The following summary from above of McShay's mock describes exactly why I think Okoye may well be our pick in the crapshoot known as the NFL draft.

Here, by request, is Espn's McShay's mock Draft:

Much will change in the coming months, as underclassmen officially declare and players take part in postseason all-star games, individual workouts and the scouting combine, but here is our initial first-round mock for the 2007 NFL draft:

x -- Still to be determined by coin flip

y -- Still to be determined by playoffs

+ -- Underclassman

1. Oakland Raiders (2-14)

Projected pick: +JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU

Russell vs. Brady Quinn? Let the great debate begin. Most teams have Quinn ahead of Russell, but Raiders owner Al Davis could fall in love with Russell's size and deep arm.

2. Detroit (3-13)

Projected pick: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame

The Lions will be stoked if Quinn falls to them at No. 2. Wouldn't it be great, though, if Matt Millen takes another wide receiver (Calvin Johnson) with this pick?

3t. x-Cleveland (4-12)

Projected pick: +Alan Branch, DT, Michigan

The Browns want Russell with this pick, but they'll settle for a 330-pound playmaker to help solidify Romeo Crennel's three-man defensive front.

3t. x-Tampa Bay (4-12)

Projected pick: +Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech

The Bucs have other more pressing needs, but coach Jon Gruden can't pass on the draft's most dynamic offensive weapon.

5. Arizona (5-11)

Projected pick: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin

As usual, the Cardinals are a prime candidate to trade down. They should get lots of bidders if Thomas -- the only elite offensive lineman in this class -- is still available.

6. Washington (5-11)

Projected pick: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson

Adams is a no-brainer for a Redskins defense that set a team record for the fewest sacks in a season (19) in 2006.

7. Minnesota (6-10)

Projected pick: +Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas

It's hard to believe the Vikings still need defensive end help, but Erasmus James suffered a season-ending injury in the opener and Kenechi Udeze failed to notch a sack. Anderson is the complete package physically and he should capitalize on 13.5 sacks as a junior in 2006.

8. Houston (6-10)

Projected pick: +Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma

Peterson is expected to make his decision to bolt for the NFL in the next few days. Drafting Peterson here would help to overshadow the Texans' colossal mistake of passing on Reggie Bush with the top overall pick last year.

9. Miami (6-10)

Projected pick: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan

The Dolphins could consider QB Brian Brohm with this pick, but they also could go the free-agency route in order to get short-term relief. Hall would be a good value here and would help upgrade a patchwork secondary.

10. Atlanta (7-9)

Projected pick: LaRon Landry, S, LSU

Landry is a ball-hawk free safety who would instantly upgrade the athleticism of the Falcons secondary.

11. San Francisco (7-9)

Projected pick: +Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

Dorsey might not fall this far, but the 49ers certainly wouldn't protest such a scenario. Dorsey is a disruptive force as a one-gap penetrating interior lineman.

12. Buffalo (7-9)

Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville

Projected pick: The Bills have more pressing needs, including cornerback and middle linebacker. However, Okoye is a fast-rising 19-year-old with great potential.

I think that we do have additional pressing needs which all things being equal might have us looking elsewhere, and given the D focus last draft it would be the Os turn, but Marv seems to be a best player available kind of guy and given tha Okoye is not only described in a way that deescribes the archetype Cover 2 DT but his youth may well make him pretty moldable and give him a leg up as a BPA.

His interview may make all the difference if he fits our mold for character guys.

The following summary from above of McShay's mock describes exactly why I think Okoye may well be our pick in the crapshoot known as the NFL draft.

Here, by request, is Espn's McShay's mock Draft:

Much will change in the coming months, as underclassmen officially declare and players take part in postseason all-star games, individual workouts and the scouting combine, but here is our initial first-round mock for the 2007 NFL draft:

x -- Still to be determined by coin flip

y -- Still to be determined by playoffs

+ -- Underclassman

1. Oakland Raiders (2-14)

Projected pick: +JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU

Russell vs. Brady Quinn? Let the great debate begin. Most teams have Quinn ahead of Russell, but Raiders owner Al Davis could fall in love with Russell's size and deep arm.

2. Detroit (3-13)

Projected pick: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame

The Lions will be stoked if Quinn falls to them at No. 2. Wouldn't it be great, though, if Matt Millen takes another wide receiver (Calvin Johnson) with this pick?

3t. x-Cleveland (4-12)

Projected pick: +Alan Branch, DT, Michigan

The Browns want Russell with this pick, but they'll settle for a 330-pound playmaker to help solidify Romeo Crennel's three-man defensive front.

3t. x-Tampa Bay (4-12)

Projected pick: +Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech

The Bucs have other more pressing needs, but coach Jon Gruden can't pass on the draft's most dynamic offensive weapon.

5. Arizona (5-11)

Projected pick: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin

As usual, the Cardinals are a prime candidate to trade down. They should get lots of bidders if Thomas -- the only elite offensive lineman in this class -- is still available.

6. Washington (5-11)

Projected pick: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson

Adams is a no-brainer for a Redskins defense that set a team record for the fewest sacks in a season (19) in 2006.

7. Minnesota (6-10)

Projected pick: +Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas

It's hard to believe the Vikings still need defensive end help, but Erasmus James suffered a season-ending injury in the opener and Kenechi Udeze failed to notch a sack. Anderson is the complete package physically and he should capitalize on 13.5 sacks as a junior in 2006.

8. Houston (6-10)

Projected pick: +Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma

Peterson is expected to make his decision to bolt for the NFL in the next few days. Drafting Peterson here would help to overshadow the Texans' colossal mistake of passing on Reggie Bush with the top overall pick last year.

9. Miami (6-10)

Projected pick: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan

The Dolphins could consider QB Brian Brohm with this pick, but they also could go the free-agency route in order to get short-term relief. Hall would be a good value here and would help upgrade a patchwork secondary.

10. Atlanta (7-9)

Projected pick: LaRon Landry, S, LSU

Landry is a ball-hawk free safety who would instantly upgrade the athleticism of the Falcons secondary.

11. San Francisco (7-9)

Projected pick: +Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

Dorsey might not fall this far, but the 49ers certainly wouldn't protest such a scenario. Dorsey is a disruptive force as a one-gap penetrating interior lineman.

12. Buffalo (7-9)

Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville

Projected pick: The Bills have more pressing needs, including cornerback and middle linebacker. However, Okoye is a fast-rising 19-year-old with great potential.

I think that we do have additional pressing needs which all things being equal might have us looking elsewhere, and given the D focus last draft it would be the Os turn, but Marv seems to be a best player available kind of guy and given tha Okoye is not only described in a way that deescribes the archetype Cover 2 DT but his youth may well make him pretty moldable and give him a leg up as a BPA.

His interview may make all the difference if he fits our mold for character guys.

Draft Okoye if he is there!

No question there is plenty to get excited about when picturing Okoye in a Bills Uni...

Problem is 11 Teams Pick before the Bills and Okoye looks to be the #2 DT in the 07 Draft...If you're hoping for Okoye, those 1st 11 Picks are gonna seem like an eternity... :pirate:

Okoye's is an amazing story: All-State at 14. Starting for a D-1 team at 17. Unanimous first-team All-Big East selection at 19. Yeah, okay, maybe a few other kids have done that. But after moving to the States at 12, and learning about this sport called football from Playstation?

Check out a few of these links, and I think you'll have your answer about 'character', as well. Defensive co-captain; originally a biology major with ideas of going pre-med, ended up graduating in 3 1/2 years with a degree in psych...

Lexington Herald-Leader: 19-year-old senior always a quick study

Football friendship is strong medicine

Louisville Courier-Journal: The Cards' chapter of Okoye's story ends

Palm Beach Post: Louisville early bird graduates at just 19

Miami Herald: Quick study lineman is on a fast track

Winston-Salem Journal:Okoye will try to stare down Deacs in Orange Bowl

Orange Bowl player profile

NFLDraftCountdown.com scouting report

FootballsFuture.com profile

He'll be playing in the Senior Bowl, so we can get a better on-field read then. For now? I'm trying not to fall for this kid, but I don't think it's working...

Though the general expectation is that a 1st rounder will start immediately for a team, many teams seem to depart from the frothing at the mouth that many draft gurus have and view almost alll draftees as young men who need to be developed into NFL talents. There is some logic to this in the high pressure big bucks ever more complext world of the NFL, that if one has the ability to bring along a player slowly then you do it.

Most folks, (particularly the ESPN inspired pundits) take this view and thus they were shocked when TD took WM figuring that the Bills had no need at RB with Henry in place. However, the team realized that it was actually the fact that they had Henry which allowed them to take the risk (the important part of part of the info the Bills had which outsiders did not was that the Bills docs upon reviewing WM's medical info judged his multiple injuries to be clean tears he could recover from if he showed the commitment to rehab he did putting on a dog and pony show prior to the draft) and draft an RB who could sit for a year.

Henry did not make the pick senseless, in fact it was his presence that made the pick make any sense for the Bills.

Th other factor which none of us outsiders (and in fact none of the rest of the NFL knew was how nuts Henry was and his fiscal idiocy which bought the Bills an extra year of ownership for chump change was a clear indicator that Henry was headed for problems. This actually proved true when Henry rather quickly was suspended for substance abuse, but fortunately he seems to have righted the ship of play and had a far better year than WM (though WM has certainly outperformed him over the years thet both have been in the NFL.

As I think about this, I generally have been of the mind that the Bills sitting on the recent draft pick McCargo at DT and the FA acquisition Triplett along with the surprising nice development of Williams makes DT an area the Bills need to improve, but likely would want to do this by hoping that the preliminary better signs McCargo may well have shown just prior to his injury will allow them to get away with merely a cheap vet DT acquisition or increased DT reliance on Hargrove as a swingman.

However, it may simply be the case that the prescence of all this potential (though pretty unrealized given our problems against the run) at DT actually liberates the Bills to draft Okoye and bring him along slowly in the rotation and create a lot of competition at DT.

Certainly at position like RB the trend is to not fear but in fact to seek out two players capable of starting and to draft a Mulroney even though you have Dillon and to use this to great benefit.

Perhaps a D minded guy like Jauron particularly since they are committed to using waves of DTs might use the same logic to draft a youngster like Okoye and fill up on DTs.

Okoye seems to be the hot pick and I do like him, but if the Bills sign Ian Scott or a Terdell Sands, then there's no need to take a DT in the first round, at least from the perspective of filling as many holes as possible with limited resources.

Agreed....it will all depend on what they do in free agency......

It is my hope that the bills go into free agency for a corner (because we cannot afford nate), a middle linbacker like Lance Briggs, and a OG like Steinbach (resigning Gandy and moving him to RG to pair up with Terrance Pennington

This would allow us to take Okoye with the first pick and the best available big receiver OR the best available running back with our second pick.....

Agreed....it will all depend on what they do in free agency......

It is my hope that the bills go into free agency for a corner (because we cannot afford nate), a middle linbacker like Lance Briggs, and a OG like Steinbach (resigning Gandy and moving him to RG to pair up with Terrance Pennington

This would allow us to take Okoye with the first pick and the best available big receiver OR the best available running back with our second pick.....

A few small problems 1 being the 2 best corners available are Nate Clements and Asante Samuel. Realisticaly if ralph isn't willing to shell out money for Clements he wont be for Samuel either. There's real garbage in the free agent pool here.

2nd Lance Briggs is not a middle lb he's 6'1 240 lbs. I've called in the past Keith Ellison a young lance briggs, because of their style of play, and similar size. Would I like briggs hell yes but then you still have the problem of fielding a mlb. That and giving up draft picks to chicago. I highly doubt they just let briggs walk.

I can see the bengals letting Steinbach walk, but like nate would ralph be willing to shell out the money. He'd definitely be worth it, but I dont have my hopes up. Some other free agent guards I like are Kris Dielman/David Diehl/Derrick Dockery/Toniu Fonoti/Floyd Womack/Leander Jordan. You could probably get 2 of them for the price of one steinbach.

Okoye was a monster in the Orange Bowl. Granted, none of Wake's interior linemen should become NFL players, but still.

Now way do the Bills draft Amobi Okoye. He's 19. He's got probably 3 more years growing to do, and will not have the weight room time that his opponents will have. He'd be a project for the NFL, no matter how much he shined in the Orange Bowl/College season. We could use a DT for sure, but not a kid who would almost certainly not be fully developed for another 3-4 years minimum.

Now way do the Bills draft Amobi Okoye. He's 19. He's got probably 3 more years growing to do, and will not have the weight room time that his opponents will have. He'd be a project for the NFL, no matter how much he shined in the Orange Bowl/College season. We could use a DT for sure, but not a kid who would almost certainly not be fully developed for another 3-4 years minimum.

If you're theory is true, then he'll be ready to shine ... just as he becomes an unrestricted free agent. Isn't that a lovely thought !!

How the hell do you play 4 years of college ball and only be 19 years old?

Samardawhatever will fall into the 2nd round after the combine. I don't have anything to back that up, it's just a feeling.

From what I have heard, hes is a VERY bright kid! Graduated highschool early and went to college. If this kid can be that good in the NFL, he has a long bright future!

Yet, there is a degree to which almost all draftees (even 1st round choices) should be considered projects. It certainly is not one size fits all so I am not saying they all are projects.

Though consider, how many NFL draftees really do start and star (the important thing here) right away. Really very few start and star and some of the immediates starters (Williams and Simpson for example) are actually later picks.

Thus, there is a degree to which it would not be surprising if the Bills drafted a duy in the first who though he did contribute did not start immediately and quite frankly the Moulds path which saw him fail to even contribute his first couple of years, but he became a star who even made the Pro Bowl a few times is at least a possibility for a player.

I do not agree that it is certain at all that Okoye is 3 years away from contributing to a team and even if he was, this does not immediately disqualify him from being a 1st round pick.

Of course you hope your first round choice starts and stars immediately, but if he does not it does not necessarily mean you picked a bust or a bad player.

Just because you could have done better does not necessarily mean you did a bad thing.