Hall of Fame Finalists Announced Wednesday...

I don't know if Reed can get in ahead of Art Monk and Michael Irvin.

Irvin played great in the big games, though he does not have the stats in the regular season.

Art Monk had the great stats but did not make game changing big plays.....

Reed is somewhere in between those guys....neither here nor there....

I agree that Reed will have to wait until after Monk... However, Reed is one player who may be unfairly maligned for the Super Bowls. Indeed, he actually put up some pretty good stats in those 4 contests, although everyone seems to only remember the infamous helmet slinging incident in SB XXVI. Compare his overall stats to Irvin's, for example.

why is Tags eligible one year removed from his retirement?????

No waiting period for Grand High Poobahs. In fact, Pete Rozelle was still the commish when he was inducted in 1985.

Davis, no

Dent, yes

Hayes, yes

Guy, yes, ST players are very important

Matthews, yes

Modell, no. Wilson not making this list while Modell does is embarrassing.

Tags, no way, undid much of what PR accomplished

Reed, probably not. He a hard worker, and was bread and butter across the middle, at least until he got popped. He also did his best when Lofton and Beebe and Thomas were on the field, too.

Thomas got robbed last year IMHO. He really made the no huddle click.

Hate to disillusion you, KR, but as much as I dislike Tags, he grew the NFL into a multi-billion dollar global enterprise, the most popular spectator sport by a 2-1 margin over MLB, and the only league without a work stoppage in the last twenty years. He's a lock; the only question is what year he goes in.

BTW, for anyone who might have missed it, here's the top of the official release. (The whole thing includes each finalist's bio and extends to 12 pages in .pdf form, so I won't burn that much server space...)

17 FINALISTS FOR HALL OF FAME ELECTION

Paul Tagliabue, Thurman Thomas, Michael Irvin, and Bruce Matthews are among the 17 finalists that will be considered for election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame when the Hall’s Board of Selectors meets in Miami, Florida on Saturday, February 3, 2007.

Joining these four finalists, are 11 other modern-era players and two players nominated earlier by the Hall of Fame’s Senior Committee. The Senior Committee nominees, announced in August 2006, are former Cleveland Browns guard Gene Hickerson and Detroit Lions tight end Charlie Sanders. The other modern-era player finalists include defensive ends Fred Dean and Richard Dent; guards Russ Grimm and Bob Kuechenberg; punter Ray Guy; wide receivers Art Monk and Andre Reed; linebackers Derrick Thomas and Andre Tippett; cornerback Roger Wehrli; and tackle Gary Zimmerman.

To be elected, a finalist must receive a minimum positive vote of 80 percent.

Listed alphabetically, the 17 finalists with their positions, teams, and years active follow:

• Fred Dean – Defensive End – 1975-1981 San Diego Chargers, 1981-1985 San Francisco 49ers
  • Richard Dent – Defensive End – 1983-1993, 1995 Chicago Bears, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1996 Indianapolis Colts, 1997 Philadelphia Eagles
  • Russ Grimm – Guard – 1981-1991 Washington Redskins
  • Ray Guy – Punter – 1973-1986 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders
  • Gene Hickerson – Guard – 1958-1973 Cleveland Browns
  • Michael Irvin – Wide Receiver – 1988-1999 Dallas Cowboys
  • Bob Kuechenberg – Guard – 1970-1984 Miami Dolphins
  • Bruce Matthews – Guard, Tackle, Center – 1983-2001 Houston Oilers/Tennessee Oilers/Titans
  • Art Monk – Wide Receiver – 1980-1993 Washington Redskins, 1994 New York Jets, 1995 Philadelphia Eagles
  • Andre Reed – Wide Receiver – 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins
  • Charlie Sanders – Tight End – 1968-1977 Detroit Lions
  • Paul Tagliabue – NFL Commissioner – 1989-2006
  • Derrick Thomas – Linebacker – 1989-1999 Kansas City Chiefs
  • Thurman Thomas – Running Back – 1988-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Miami Dolphins
  • Andre Tippett – Linebacker – 1982-1993 New England Patriots
  • Roger Wehrli – Cornerback – 1969-1982 St. Louis Cardinals
  • Gary Zimmerman – Tackle – 1986-1992 Minnesota Vikings, 1993-1997 Denver Broncos

Dent, Grimm, Guy, Hickerson, Irvin, Kuechenberg, Monk, Derrick Thomas, Thurman Thomas, Wehrli, and Zimmerman have all been finalists in previous years. From this year’s list, 10 nominees – Grimm, Guy, Hickerson, Irvin, Kuechenberg, Matthews, Sanders, Derrick Thomas, Tippett, and Wehrli – spent their entire NFL career with just one team.

Hickerson and Sanders were selected as senior candidates by the Hall of Fame’s Seniors Committee at their August 2006 meeting. The Seniors Committee reviews the qualifications of those players whose careers took place more than 25 years ago. The remaining 15 modern-era finalists were determined by a vote of the Hall’s 40-member Board of Selectors from a list of 111 preliminary nominees that earlier was reduced to a list of 25 semifinalists.

To be eligible for election, modern-era players must be retired at least five years while a contributor need not be retired. The Board of Selectors will meet in Miami, Florida, on Saturday, February 3, 2007, to elect the Hall of Fame Class of 2007. At the 2007 election meeting, the selectors will thoroughly discuss the careers of each finalist before narrowing the field to six candidates. At least three candidates must be elected but the total class cannot number more than six.

Of the 2007 finalists, Hickerson has been eligible for 29 years, Sanders 25 years, Wehrli 20, Kuechenberg 18, Dean 17 years, Guy 16, Grimm 11, Tippett nine, Monk seven years, Dent and Zimmerman five years, Irvin and Derrick Thomas three years, Reed and Thurman Thomas two years, and Matthews is in his first year of eligibility. Contributors, such as Tagliabue, need not to be retired to be considered for Hall of Fame election. Therefore there is no specific year at which he first became “eligible” for consideration.

The Class of 2007 will be announced at a press conference at 2:30 p.m. (ET) on Saturday, February 3, at the Super Bowl media center in the Miami Beach Convention Center. Representatives of the accounting firm Deloitte & Touche will tabulate all votes during the meeting. At the press conference, they will present Hall of Fame President/Executive Director Steve Perry with an envelope containing the names of the nominees elected. The Hall will contact each new member immediately after the announcement. Members of the Class of 2007 in Miami for the Super Bowl will be asked to join the press conference. Those not able to attend will be asked to join via teleconference.

Enshrinement of the Class of 2007 will take place at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, on the weekend of August 4-5, 2007.

Hate to disillusion you, KR, but as much as I dislike Tags, he grew the NFL into a multi-billion dollar global enterprise, the most popular spectator sport by a 2-1 margin over MLB, and the only league without a work stoppage in the last twenty years. He's a lock; the only question is what year he goes in.

BTW, for anyone who might have missed it, here's the top of the official release. (The whole thing includes each finalist's bio and extends to 12 pages in .pdf form, so I won't burn that much server space...)

I'd be inclined to wait a couple of years on Tags to see how this latest CBA works out. It sure seemed like he tried to force it down the owners' throats so that it could be done in time for his retirement. If it works out, kudos to him for going out in style -- and continuing his legacy of labor peace.

Oh, I know he'll get in, and probably this year. That doesn't make it right though. I think of him as the reaper of Roselle's efforts, went from the merger to instituting drug testing. I find it somewhat sad that Congress had hearings on MLB steroid use nearly 20 years. It was already a multi-billion dollar enterprise when he took over and had overtaken MLB. I guess it is always true when you are at the top, but it seems like there is nowhere to go but down right now. Tags started NFLE, implemented the 2pt conversion, and basically caved in to the players when maybe a work stoppage might have been the better course of action for the overall health of the sport. He allowed the Oilers, Browns and both LA teams to move. The number one thing though that I dislike about him is his inability to make some very rich people understand is that within the league, there must be ownership cooperation. To let a guy like Wilson, who made sure Davis would not lose the Raiders early on and fought to keep teams like Cleveland from moving, get hung out to dry by the media, is inexcusable.

I wish Kemp had had less presidential aspirations. He'd likely have done a better job.