to Brandon: The drafting of DB's

SoCal

For one thing, you left out the most recent draft in which we drafted 500 defensive backs, and gave up a 2nd round pick in the process.

Care to explain how we gave up a second round pick during last draft or how we gave that pick up to draft a DB? Last time i checked, we gave up a 3rdrounder, and we gave up that pick to select a DEFENSIVE LINEMAN.

Care to explain how we gave up a second round pick during last draft or how we gave that pick up to draft a DB? Last time i checked, we gave up a 3rdrounder, and we gave up that pick to select a DEFENSIVE LINEMAN.

But you see, somehow the stars would have come into alignment and the planets would line up correctly to allow the Bills to trade down and accumulate 100's of extra picks and still be able to draft Whitner and every linemen available in the draft fixing every problem the team had this year and making us contenders for the Super Bowl in this one offseason

We also could have had a better defensive Linemen if we traded the pick and still got the player they coveted in Whitner

I did a quick hand count of the players taken in the draft since 1990, and here's what I came up with. First day picks are in parenthesis:

DBs--31 (13)

LBs--13 (7)

DEs--9 (6)

DTs--12 (6)

OL--27 (7)

TE--10 (2)

WR--23 (6)

RBs--14 (5)

QBs--6 (5)

P--1

They've taken more DBs in the draft than any other position, including TWICE as many DBs on the first day of the draft as they have at any other position. This really shows the team's neglect of their OLs over the years. They've picked enough DBs on the first day of the draft to turn over the starting backfield 3 times. They've barely picked enough OL to do it ONCE in 17 YEARS.

I'm sorry but your "quick hand count" is wrong. I dont know where you get these numbers from. I will put a rest to this whole argument right now.

Since 2000, on the first day of the draft the Bills have drafted 4 DB's and 7 DLman. That is almost the complete opposite of what you are saying. That's an emphasis of almost twice the amount of DLman as DB's.

If you want to go back a ways, since 1990 on the first day of the draft the Bills have taken exactly 11 DB's to 11 DLman. I'm no math genius, but I believe those numbers are equal.

A better argument would be the front office not signing their top draft picks when their contracts are up.

I'm sorry but your "quick hand count" is wrong. I dont know where you get these numbers from. I will put a rest to this whole argument right now.

Since 2000, on the first day of the draft the Bills have drafted 4 DB's and 7 DLman. That is almost the complete opposite of what you are saying. That's an emphasis of almost twice the amount of DLman as DB's.

If you want to go back a ways, since 1990 on the first day of the draft the Bills have taken exactly 11 DB's to 11 DLman. I'm no math genius, but I believe those numbers are equal.

A better argument would be the front office not signing their top draft picks when their contracts are up.

I've already said that I was in a hurry when I posted that and made a mistake concerning the DL and DB comparison. I counted one extra DL, which I believe was Gabe Northern, who played mostly LB for the Bills. I stand by my count of 13 DBs from 1990 until the present.

http://www.drafthistory.com/teams/bills.html

This isnt really a "bills not re-signing their DBs" problem, this is a "bills not re-signing their players" problem. When was the last time a big(ish) name bill hit the FA market and we kept him?

Actually to be fair the Bills have re-signed some of their top players without letting them test the FA market......like Schoebel, McGee, Peters, Lindell, Moorman etc.

They did give Moulds the 40M contract when he was ready for FA.