Where are those people who thought.....

Garranimal

getting rid of Travis Henry in favor of Wills McGahee was a good idea?? I never bought it.....McGahee was the flavor of the month choice. :lol:

I was one of those people who liked Travis H. as a player and defended the hated TD for his initial decision to keep Travis and talk about making it work with both of them and stuck to his guns and kept him until the deal he wanted came through rather than cutting him.

However, as much as I like Travis as a player, I did (and actually still do since i do not think the last chapter is written yet regarding assessing these two players) support the idea of the surprise drafting of WM and the decision to go with WM rather than Travis as our future back.

Knowing what we knew at the time, the upside of going with WM was pretty clear once our docs made the judgments they made (and again still seems to offer more in terms of WMs prospects and potential as a player than TH IMHO despite an inspired TH being the better back last Sunday.

Specifically.

1. Once the docs made an assessment that WM with solid rehab and the effort he made to present himself as still a viable #1 pick, the upside of getting a talent once thought to be among the top 5 players with a #18 pick was a smart thing for the Bills to do.

2. My sense is that the handwriting was on the wall for Bills insiders that TH was a great player who was a taco short of a combination plate mentally as apparently was reflected in the article which featured his tricked out SUV with rap tunes playing at supersonic levels. This in itself is no problem for me as long as a player remains productive on the field (for example I would never sleep with WM given his baby momma comments if I were a gal, but I do not care as long as he performs activities like being the fastest Bill RB to gain 2000 yards on the ground or is successful today in pulling off 3 consecutive 1000 yard campaigns).

However, it was likely clear to TD and those who knew TH personally that activities like the mismanagement of a significant chunk of chamge which forced him to delay his FA time by a year in return for chump change from the Bills was an even better indicator of a level of immaturity which got him suspended for four games when he went to TN. Its good that he seems to have wised up and can play, but I am glad we did not have to live through this behavior by our #1 RB.

Its great Travis is putting up very good numbers again, but people seem to be panicking to me to even decide he is a better back than WM for sure (WM has had a better two years than Travis overall since the trade and a much better last three years in total even though Travis had a better year this year).

Quite frankly given we have had such a struggling QB last season and the first half of this one, and OL issues which are still only getting better just now, I think it really has been quite impressive that WM is on the verge of his 3rd straight 1000 yard rushing campaign even though he missed significant game time in both of those campaigns.

I doubt he will ever prove to be the best RB in the NFL as he credibly was threatening to do prior to his injury. However, IF:

1. Given a full season with a the capable JP who has developed.

2. Given that the OL is finally shaping up into a stable productive unit,

3. Given that Fairchild has yet to actually demonstrate he is capable of running his O properly yet and if he does he will utilize WM at least somewhat as a receiving threat which will help his run game alot.

I think it is premature to declare this trade a mistake. If one chooses to restrict this judgment to one weekend or even one season i agree with this conclusion, however if you compare the production of these two mem over the three years they both could play then i think there is little question WM was more productive.

As far as the future goes, who can predict it but all in all I would rather face it with WM as my RB than Travis.

keeping both of them and having the dual attack wouldve been my first choice. but since we couldnt do that getting rid of henry was the right move.

just like getting rid of willis for a younger RB will be the right move this year

Yes to the 1st part. No to the 2nd. Keeping willis and getting a younger rb to have that dual threat would be the right move this year.

I liked Travis, and I like Willis more. We lost a first round pick on Willis and got a second rounder for Travis, so not a huge downgrade considering Willis's performance advantage the last couple years and his younger age.

I'm pleased Travis is doing well, but I don't think this was a no brainer bonehead move by the Bills.

Especially if we can keep Willis over the next couple years, because neither of them would have had us in the playoffs through this season, so where it really matters is what they mean to us 2007 and beyond. I'd bet on Willis to have a better 2007, and if we can keep him a better 2008 and 2009.

Edit: But more props to Travis, as he has 105 yards in the 3rd quarter against the Pats. Let's hope Willis hits Ray-Ray in the mouf and does even better.

Yes to the 1st part. No to the 2nd. Keeping willis and getting a younger rb to have that dual threat would be the right move this year.

a. the SECOND another RB is brought in to split time with Willis he will pull a Henry and pout and demand a trade and be a cancer. its just the swell type of guy he is.

b. he (and his great agent) will soon be in talks for a new contract. expect him to hold out this preseason if he isnt looking at top player compensation since he THINKS he's the best RB in the league but wont hit a hole. Willis' best career move would be going on Dancing with the Stars.

i thought willis was going to be great. even bought a mcgahee throwback jersey last year. he's been nothing short of disappointing.

henry has had played well for the second half of the season..thats it...give me a goddam break...I am so glad that 2 plus years after we let henry go that you knew all along that it was a bad move....hindsight is so friggin convenient.... :lol::thumbsup:

getting rid of Travis Henry in favor of Wills McGahee was a good idea?? I never bought it.....McGahee was the flavor of the month choice. :worthy: