Mike Schopp: biggest joke in Buffalo radio

Buffalo may currently be a hockey town, this could be true.

But if the Bills start out next season wining games like the Sabres are, the Sabres will become the step child once again.

I say this even if the Sabres win the cup.

Myself, I enjoy the Sabres, and hope they do well, but given a choice between the two, I'd watch a Bills preseason game over a Sabres playoff game any day.

(Note: this is all based on personal opinion and not on some stat. from a paper, so take it for what it's worth.) :o

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up in Buffalo but live in the Midwest for 30 years. I brag about the Bills and the Sabres to friends and co-workers. They all know about the Bills but they honestly say "the Sabres" I say ya, the Buffalo Sabres in the NHL. They say oh ya. I love both teams but the Bills are the team the are nationally known among the average midwest residents. The NFL is much larger than the NHL. Very few people have NHL Stanley cup final parties. Very few newspapers have shrimp rings on sale for the Stanley cup finals. Its the Super Bowl. Buffalo needs the Bills and the attention they receive. Again I support both and its not right to have to say which you like more. Just cheer for them both.

How about according to the Fans? The Bills had what? 25,000 - 30,000 empty seats? In what could be described as a unofficial playoff game.

The Sabres are taking advantage of the fact that the NHL is a better product than the NFL right now. Right now the NFL is not even the best football product. That goes to college football.

WNY fans relate more to the Sabres. Not just because they are winning. It's because the NHL is more "neighborhood". The NFL is 100% corporate. The NHL and Sabres are our dirty little secret. The NHL shut down for a year so that teams like the Sabres can exist. The NHL is tailored so a team like the Sabres can win it all. The NFL would rather forget small markets like WNY even exist. They would rather see teams in Mexico, Canada and Europe.

I've got nothing against Hockey. I enjoy a game now and then and watch playoffs more regularly but to say that "The Sabres are taking advantage of the fact that the NHL is a better product than the NFL right now." is pushing the limits of credulity. NBC, CBS, ABC, ESPN fight hard and pay big dollars to show NFL games. Last years NHL playoffs? Media giant OLN gets the games. Try breaking the Prozac in half next time.

A few things:

1) I'm not a huge fan of Schoop because he's rude (can't even answer callers who ask him how's he doing) and readily admits he doesn't really like football (why have a guy like that hosting a radio show in Buffalo boogles my mind), but he is doing the job he is paid to do. He is job is to create topics that generate interest and perhaps some controversy. And as evidence by this topic, he is doing a good job at that.

2) My buddy was in town for the holiday and wanted to go to the Sabres game on Thursday. So we get down to the arena and try and find some scalpers. We finally one and but he just sold the tixs. For $110. So we go to Pearl Street (great time by the way :o ) and place is packed (and a lot of chicks :( ). So Sabres fever is well alive in Buffalo.

3) That said hockey will never touch pro football. Yes are there too many commericals and is a greedy business. But football is the king. You honestly think the Sabres could ever draw the 54,000 the Bills drew on Sunday? I doubt this seriously. I love hockey and grew up playing it. It is a great sport. But it right now on the level of arena football in most places, including well-established hockey cities like Boston, Philly, and Chicago. A sport can't be taken as serious when it's games are broadcast on the Versus network.

4) The biggest thing this shows and I hate to admit it, it that Buffalo is a bandwagon sports town like most every place in America. I thought we were die hards but apparentely we aren't. And I can't blame people after the crap the Bills had put on the field. But while Sabres fever has swept Buffalo, let's not forget that at the beginning of last year, the arena was half full. People hopped on the bandwagon and I hate it. But it is good for Buffalo. Trust me, the Bills will be a hot ticket once again next year. People like winners. End of story. :thumbsup:

go walk around the mall...every 5th person has a Sabres fleece, shirt or Hat on....I saw ZERo Bills stuff

The Sabres are the hot team in town. They are winning plus have new colors and a logo. You honestly don't think most people in town don't have a bunch of Bills stuff in the closet?

Also, the mall is the suburbs. I'm sure if you went to the Main Place mall, you would find much more Bills stuff. The fact of the matter is that you probably didn't find many minorities wearing Sabres stuff. And not to turn this into a racial matter, but until the NHL can figure out a way to market the game more, hockey will be a step behind most mainstream American sports.

It is sports talk radio. Don't believe for a moment that they believe half the things they say,

they are trying to touch nerves to create a reaction.

Which seems to be going swimmingly.

Preeee-cisely.

Preeee-cisely.

If the Bills were to leave Buffalo - it would be the absolute worst thing to hit WNY - it would tear the heart and soul right out of this region.

With a show like Schoops - it could and would give the impression that people would be OK if the Bills left because the Sabres are "King."

I'm sorry (and this is coming from a huge football AND hockey fan) - but the NHL is nothing more than a mickey mouse league.

Give the impression that the we've moved on from the Bills; I worry that we enable the team and new ownership to push for a move.

WGR is joke ... I don't care that their "not the voice of the Bills - without the Bills - that station would be MORE a joke than it already is... Bring on the sports radio COMPETITION - nOw!

Preeee-cisely.

What's so funny is how many people get taken in by the scripted points of view. Its nothing more than professional wrestling with "heros" and "villians" taking opposing sides to suck listeners in. A consultant-driven format that negates the need for folks who are actually interesting, informed and worth listening to.

I miss the old One-On-One Sports days...

Why do you think Ontario listeners turn on WGR??? Hint it is not to do with High School sports, Baseball, Basketball or Hockey.... Only one reason and it is the Bills...

I run and always have headphones on... Like to listen and laugh at the post game and Monday shows.... Otherwise I and most listeners from Southern Ontario do not tune in to listen to talk about Briere, Afinigenov, Miller, Connely....

Probably the reason Shoop dislikes Southern Ontario callers too..

A few things:

1) I'm not a huge fan of Schoop because he's rude (can't even answer callers who ask him how's he doing) and readily admits he doesn't really like football (why have a guy like that hosting a radio show in Buffalo boogles my mind), but he is doing the job he is paid to do. He is job is to create topics that generate interest and perhaps some controversy. And as evidence by this topic, he is doing a good job at that.

2) My buddy was in town for the holiday and wanted to go to the Sabres game on Thursday. So we get down to the arena and try and find some scalpers. We finally one and but he just sold the tixs. For $110. So we go to Pearl Street (great time by the way :lol: ) and place is packed (and a lot of chicks :thumbsup: ). So Sabres fever is well alive in Buffalo.

3) That said hockey will never touch pro football. Yes are there too many commericals and is a greedy business. But football is the king. You honestly think the Sabres could ever draw the 54,000 the Bills drew on Sunday? I doubt this seriously. I love hockey and grew up playing it. It is a great sport. But it right now on the level of arena football in most places, including well-established hockey cities like Boston, Philly, and Chicago. A sport can't be taken as serious when it's games are broadcast on the Versus network.

4) The biggest thing this shows and I hate to admit it, it that Buffalo is a bandwagon sports town like most every place in America. I thought we were die hards but apparentely we aren't. And I can't blame people after the crap the Bills had put on the field. But while Sabres fever has swept Buffalo, let's not forget that at the beginning of last year, the arena was half full. People hopped on the bandwagon and I hate it. But it is good for Buffalo. Trust me, the Bills will be a hot ticket once again next year. People like winners. End of story. :worthy:

I have boiled over with the Homer attitude towards the Sabres. I hope they win the Cup, but people are taking it WAY too far. I threw together a 1 page website as a venting place. Some of the attempted humor is warped and I wouldn't suggest children or anyone who is easily offended to go there.

NSFW Soupy & Pommers

Please don't stop with Schoop. That dead weight Bulldog deserves slaps too. How bad does WGR suck?.....listen to Brad Riter sometime. But thats beside the point.

GR is top to bottom a below average station that doesn't try and create anything new. They just tread the same stagnant waters year after year.

many of you are right........another station is not only welcome but needed.

I have boiled over with the Homer attitude towards the Sabres. I hope they win the Cup, but people are taking it WAY too far. I threw together a 1 page website as a venting place. Some of the attempted humor is warped and I wouldn't suggest children or anyone who is easily offended to go there.

NSFW Soupy & Pommers

Lame.

NSFW Soupy & Pommers

Seriously?

I never said or implied he is a jerk--overall I like him. But taking one point in history and saying the tide has turned is ridiculous. The Bills are and always will be numero uno in this town by sheer numbers. Like I stated earlier---nobody around the country cares about hockey. It was beaten badly in the ratings by bowling and poker!!!! Bowling and poker! http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6060400897.html

Yes, all is not rosy with the NHL. They made it a lot more fun to watch, but their puny TV contract with that goofy VS channel hurts. Hockey, IMO, was the sport that had the most to gain by having games broadcast in HD and they aren't getting enough of that coverage, which they would be getting every night if they could have landed an ESPN deal again.

• 4 weeks later...