Can Bills Draft Jarrett from USC?

truth on hold

First, WR IS a need for the Bills. Without a threat at TE and no true possession receiver on the roster, the offense is one dimensional. If you stop Lee, you stop the passing game. Simple as that. The Bills need another, big play WR. If not, they need a game changing TE. Do you think the Bills offense would suffer if they drafted Calvin Johnson? Of course, this won't happen unless the Bills trade up (which I am not advocating), but a big play WR is a position of dire need for this Offense.

In this draft there are no game breaking TE's, and only a handful of game breaking WRs. Jarrett would be a great fit for the offense. Is he the right pick? Maybe, maybe not. We won't be able to tell till we get closer to the draft and really get an idea of the OL and DL available.

Chances are, there wont be any huge talents at OL left at the 12th pick. There might be a few DL. But I am always an advocate of the best available player in round one regardless of position. Jarrett (if he comes out) will be one of the best available players if he's sitting there are 12.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after jarretts 200+ yards, 2 TD, offensive MVP performance in the rose bowl i just hope he doesn't go sooner than 12! good thing is the performance makes me that much more certain he would be great for the bills, bad news is his stock in the draft just went way up!

:)

while i agree jarret is exteremly talented he has whats know as flies on him,, his association with rapper snoop dog has some scouts nervous ,,,, snoops avowed usuage of "the blunt" has jarret in the" guilt by association " question,, texas tech has a receiver simiiliar size etc,, also very talented ,, and also likely available in 3rd or 4th rds. he has all the tools just not big press,,

Put me in the category O-line help as opposed drafting a big receiver with their 1st rd pick. Although, One guy i haven't heard mentioned on this Board is Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina although he is only a sophmore he is draft eligible this year and if he comes out this year he would be IMO the #2 wide reciever prospect ahead of Jarret and Ted Ginn jr. Lastly I would add that im not sure if Jarret's skills suit Fairchild's gameplan, aside from Lee Evans strechching the field Fairchild had the recievers running a lot of double move routes eg. Smash Outs or fake running the out spin back to the middle on a curl pattern. These routes require a lot of agility and elusiveness and i wonder if a big tall physical receiver would be mis-used by our system.

I think what Bills need though is just a Big Mauling Gaurd. Gandy got owned all year at the point of attack. If we could get someone in the mold of a Shawn Andrews (eagles) or Vince Manuwai (jags) just a big beast with a mean streak i think it could do wonders for the running game (mcgahee wouldn't have to kitty foot up the middle trying to use his vision to find a hole because mike gandy is pushed back 2 yards in the backfield - we could actually open up some legitimate holes for him). I find it difficult to evaluate interior lineman but i understand Justin Blalock is rated as the best interior O-lineman.

Its pretty Futile to declare who the team should draft prior to both FA and the Combine but if we could move down in the Draft and End up with some combination of Sidney Rice and a Run blocking gaurd and a defensive back who step in and play nickle position if asked i would be an ideal draft for me.

A first round receiver is the absolute last thing this team needs. Come on people! Is Matt Millen running this franchise????

If Marv were truly smart, he would do the following:

1. Wait for Jarrett to fall to #12

2. Call Tennessee (who picks at #19) and dangle the #12 pick. Norm Chow will do summersaults to get Jarret, I'm sure. Plus with Drew Bennett a free agent, receiver is a need.

3. Swap first round picks with Tennessee and grab an additional 2nd round pick.

4. At #19, pick a running back to push Willis or an impact defensive player.

Use the extra 2nd rounder to plug a hole left by the deparures of Fletch, Nate and/or Kelsay.

yeah just think where we would be without first round pick & WR pick Lee Evans and his 8 TDs and 1,000+ yards. without him we could be drafting #1!

:rolleyes:

love to see Bills get their hands on the big/tall receiver they desperately need. the current group of smurfs only shine when everything thing goes as perfectly planned. a tall/physical receiver like jarrett with good hands is ALWAYS open. rule of thumb is WRs don't get taken high in the draft so with the bills drafting somewhere near the middle this time, i wonder if anyone knows where jarrett falls. I mean just look at how important the 6'5" 230 rookie WR colston has been for saints this year. i say draft the receiver and build the line through free agency... WRs can have an impact right away and the road is littlered with first round OLine busts (tony mandarich, gallery, our own mike williams, etc etc). anyone see a projection of the 2007 draft? i know it's early but maybe someone like kiper has put something together.

Wide Receivers picked in the first round have not worked out well for many teams i.e. David Terrell, Mike Williams, Koren Robinson etc... I say build like the Patriots at Defensive Line. They have arguably the best line in the NFL. Seymour (perrenial All Pro), Ty Warren (Dec. Def. player of the month), Vince Wilfork. Look at the Patriots subpar receivers Reche Caldwell (#1 on the team) he would be a 2nd or maybe a 3rd on others, Pats #2 Troy Brown 35 years old, no speed, Pats 3rd receiver Gaffney- He was not on NFL team until Pats picked hime up in Nov.. My point is the Pats finished @ 12-4 and most people on this board thought they were not that good. The keys for the Patriots are the Dline and the depth at other positions because they do not overpay WR's (see Deion Branch and Givens) and now they have tons of cap space and a extra 1st round pick in 07 for Branch.

Jarrett would be a good pick, even though he has some behavior issues.

I hope that he's either gone when we draft or we have the common sense to just pass on this jerk. Did you see him in the Rose Bowl I think it was. He taunted that guy for the last 10 yards into the end zone. Then one time he caught a pass and then got tackled and then ceremoniously handed the ball to the DB, like, "hey, this is the only way you're gonna see it, sucker".

I mean, if we want to sell our soul for a few catches, why don't we just pick up TO. He's a free agent after this year.

The guy is a big time jerk and is trouble waiting to happen in the locker room and who knows where else.

I say NO.

I say pick the best athlete available that not's Jarett or someone else of his ilk.

Wide Receivers picked in the first round have not worked out well for many teams i.e. David Terrell, Mike Williams, Koren Robinson etc... overpay WR's (see Deion Branch and Givens) and now they have tons of cap space and a extra 1st round pick in 07 for Branch.

Michael Irvin

Tim Brown

A first round WR was a need THEN.

It's not a need now.

:blink:

yeah just think where we would be without first round pick & WR pick Lee Evans and his 8 TDs and 1,000+ yards. without him we could be drafting #1!

:blink:

First, WR IS a need for the Bills. Without a threat at TE and no true possession receiver on the roster, the offense is one dimensional. If you stop Lee, you stop the passing game. Simple as that. The Bills need another, big play WR. If not, they need a game changing TE. Do you think the Bills offense would suffer if they drafted Calvin Johnson? Of course, this won't happen unless the Bills trade up (which I am not advocating), but a big play WR is a position of dire need for this Offense.

In this draft there are no game breaking TE's, and only a handful of game breaking WRs. Jarrett would be a great fit for the offense. Is he the right pick? Maybe, maybe not. We won't be able to tell till we get closer to the draft and really get an idea of the OL and DL available.

Chances are, there wont be any huge talents at OL left at the 12th pick. There might be a few DL. But I am always an advocate of the best available player in round one regardless of position. Jarrett (if he comes out) will be one of the best available players if he's sitting there are 12.

Jarrett is a punk and is soft.

He may have talent, but he sure won't be displaying it in Buffalo.

He is exact opposite of the type of player that Jauron wants.

A first round WR was a need THEN.

It's not a need now.

:thumbdown:

you most likely said the same thing when they drafted evans. bills and many other teams have had plenty of 1st OPL busts, there's no gaurantees whatsoever ... far from it.... drafting Oline in 1st round will actually help. the #1 reason we are 31st in 3rd down conversions is when the blitz - pass or run - is on, JP has no tall/physical WR to go to. if you watched the giants game against philly you saw eli burn the eagles blitz several times by lobbing over to 6' 5" plaxico burress. that's something bills don't have and desperately need if they want to get to the next level.

I like Ernest Wilford who's a free agent- 6'4 225 good hands, good blocker, good special teams player- he's not fast but he could be a good #2.

Yet he's a RFA and likley cost at least a 4th Round pick to sign him. I still say go for Jattett as long as fill other needs through free agency.

Bigger holes to fill. DT, OL. LB, CB. He would be a nice pick if we had 2 #1s. It seems that theres a wr drafted later that makes an impact each year. Colston this yr.

Amen. We know Lee is not a weakness, and I don't think Price, Roscoe, Reed are that bad a group to round it out (especially how Roscoe plays when he is on...we need to get him in more). I would love to upgrade Price with a bigger possession receiver as our #2, but I think this is a luxury we can't afford until well after we have improved our lines and other areas.

I don't think he will fall to us. I don't know how good his character is. If you don't have character then you won't be as interested in studying the plays you need to study. Getting a guy that has a lot of talent but no character is bad. We drafted Whitner thinking Marv was crazy but Whitner has a lot of character and when you have character it doesn't matter how good you are. What you need to do is learn first and have a good work ethic. Jarret has a lot of talent but I'm not so sure on his character.

TRUST WHAT MARV IS DOING! He knows what's best for this team and it showed this season that getting guys with more character over talent first is key. With character they learn faster and will be better players in the future.