Anybody get Panic Attacks?

Mikie2times

For about 4 years I thought I had something physically wrong with my body. It didn't make much sense, I'm 24, very low body fat, good diet etc. I could be doing nothing then all off a sudden I couldn't catch my breath. I would get dizzy, cold sweats, tingling fingers, and my heart sounded like it was going to explode. These things just seemed to come out of nowhere. I haven't had health insurance so it took until today for me to say I've had enough and get checked out. Turns out I'm having Panic Attacks.

It's a relief to hear I have nothing physically wrong, but I still don't understand this enough to control it. In my case they almost always happen when I'm alone, or with my girlfriend. I can't recall a time I got one in a public setting. Without insurance I need to look at ways to improve this condition without medication. I've done some reading online but was wondering if anybody else has experienced this and if they could recommend books, behaviors, or anything else to either reduce the frequency or strength of these attacks.

Thank you so much for anything you can share.

For about 4 years I thought I had something physically wrong with my body. It didn't make much sense, I'm 24, very low body fat, good diet etc. I could be doing nothing  then all off a sudden I couldn't catch my breath. I would get dizzy, cold sweats, tingling fingers, and my heart sounded like it was going to explode. These things just seemed to come out of nowhere. I haven't had health insurance so it took until today for me to say I've had enough and get checked out. Turns out I'm having Panic Attacks.

It's a relief to hear I have nothing physically wrong, but I still don't understand this enough to control it. In my case they almost always happen when I'm alone, or with my girlfriend. I can't recall a time I got one in a public setting. Without insurance I need to look at ways to improve this condition without medication. I've done some reading online but was wondering if anybody else has experienced this and if they could recommend books, behaviors, or anything else to either reduce the frequency or strength of these attacks.

878538[/snapback]

'

Mike,

You are not along friend; I had them for about 4-5 years. Yoga classes can help you but the best bet is just to try and relax. One thing to implant in your mind is life is life and every problem has a solution. One of my problems was sleep apnea. I’m in great shape and this is something that overweight people developed but I had to have surgery to remove most of the skin in my mouth and throat. This contributed to my panic attacks. You need to get a sleep study done. If you need any advice or help man, pm me and Id be more than happy to help you out.

For about 4 years I thought I had something physically wrong with my body. It didn't make much sense, I'm 24, very low body fat, good diet etc. I could be doing nothing  then all off a sudden I couldn't catch my breath. I would get dizzy, cold sweats, tingling fingers, and my heart sounded like it was going to explode. These things just seemed to come out of nowhere. I haven't had health insurance so it took until today for me to say I've had enough and get checked out. Turns out I'm having Panic Attacks.

878538[/snapback]

Tell ya what, I had them bout 5 years ago. Long story short, had a quick episode with heart where it was beating out of order and I thought I was having a heart attack. Go to hospital, they shock it back into its normal beating rythm, and I think all is good.

But for the next two months, I get this feeling bout once a week of the symptoms you desribe, and on two occasions I go back to emergency just convinced I'm having heart problems again.

Third time in , Doc says prolly panic attacks, and no chit suggests when they come on have a beer and relax. Also prescribes Zolof or something like that and syas when I feel them coming on, take a pill if a beer not available.

Never had one again. A couple times felt them coming on, pooped the pill, and I was good to go. Once I realized it was a panic attack and not ny heart, they went away.

Navy- It's interesting you mentioned sleep issues being connected to your problem. I don't have apnea (at least I don't believe I do). I do have a very difficult time going to sleep, and don't sleep enough as a result (probably 5-6 hours a night). I will look into a sleep study.

Plenzmd- I'm thinking just knowing what it is will help a lot. You know what can be running threw your mind as this is happening. You can almost convince yourself you’re going to drop dead on the spot. Just knowing that my vitals aren't in jeopardy should reduce the frequency and strength.

Chef- The freeway can also be a trigger for me.

I figured I wasn't alone; I just wasn't sure how many Men experience this. The doctor said it's genetics (My Mom also has these), stress and anxiety. He said the explanation for them right now is that your mind will become overwhelmed with these issues even if you’re not consciously aware of it. For some people the mind will incorrectly send off defense signals. The result is the Panic Attack, which mirrors the feelings of a life threaning situation to the person going threw it.

I never thought of Panic Attacks because I've never felt like this when I was younger. As the Doctor pointed out, I didn't have adult responsibilities until around the time these started. He made a lot of sense. I'm probably going to look into ways at reducing stress. Navy mentioned Yoga; anything along those lines can't be a bad idea. I used to work out a lot, getting back into that couldn’t hurt either. If my own self help methods aren't sufficient I could maybe look into generic drug alternatives until I get insurance.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Therapy is an important part of this equation.

See a doctor about this. Panic attacks could be indicative of underlying emotional issues that need to be addressed.

878538[/snapback]

Therapy is an important part of this equation.

See a doctor about  this. Panic attacks could be indicative of underlying emotional issues that need to be addressed.

878615[/snapback]

Therapy can help many people; it helped my Mom deal with the same issues. I believe often times people are too quick to turn to medicine or a therapist, especially when it's related to mental issues. I still feel like I can do a lot for myself right now. I'm very into understanding the mind, and I feel like I understand my mind very clearly. I just don't deal with stress well at all. Circular thinking, hindsight, and obsessive thought patterns play into that. That way of thinking didn't create many problems when I was younger because you just don't get stressed out when you’re a kid or a teenager. As I'm learning stress slips further away from your control as you get older, and I haven't been doing anything to change my thought patterns in relation to this stress. I'm slowly learning how to avoid these pitfalls. Now I realize I must be more proactive in dealing with these issues because they very well could be the underlying cause of these attacks. If I can't make any progress on my own I will turn to other options like therapy or medicine.

I have gotten panic attacks before- they suck! I thought I had lung cancer or something. I too am in great shape- but sometimes in the past I have gasped for air or had a hard time speaking. I was releived they were anxiety related. If you get one remember to expell all the breath from your lungs. The reason for shortness of breath is you are trying to inhale too much while forgetting to exhale, hence the breathing into a paper bag. I took buspar for a little while and no longer need it. Just remember to breathe out and not to get too worked up, good luck to you!

Kick your gambling habit. :doh:

Haaa! I was going the same route.

Actually, I had the same thing happen to me just about your age..23-24. Went to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack. One thing that I have found to possibly add to the feelings is if I have had oil in my food. It could be a gall bladder response that mimicks the same symptoms. I get the onset with me having to take deep breaths and I get slight numbness in my limbs. For some reason I end up burping a bunch. Doctor said panic attack and it makes sense as I am one to operate cool under crisis and pressure, but then get the attack when on my own and out of harms way. When I tell my doctors I get stressed out like that, they laugh because I am outgoing and handle the obvious effects of pressure well.

I agree with with the Brett Favre prescription.....painkillers and booze. It is the only thing that lets me keep my personality and edge, while generally relieves symptoms and unneccessary worry. It may not be PC to say, but it works.

Kick your gambling habit. :doh:
Gambling is an extremely stressful activity for most. I've just spent so much time on research that I don't get affected by the issues most people do. I don't follow the games I bet on or deviate from my strategies. To do so would make me an addict more then an investor. I started my research 6 years ago with the long term goals and a business like approach. Each year my income and investment levels have increased. Without the additional income it brings I feel I would be worse off, both personally and financially.

Haaa! I was going the same route.

Actually, I had the same thing happen to me just about your age..23-24. Went to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack. One thing that I have found to possibly add to the feelings is if I have had oil in my food. It could be a gall bladder response that mimicks the same symptoms. I get the onset with me having to take deep breaths and I get slight numbness in my limbs. For some reason I end up burping a bunch. Doctor said panic attack and it makes sense as I am one to operate cool under crisis and pressure, but then get the attack when on my own and out of harms way. When I tell my doctors I get stressed out like that, they laugh because I am outgoing and handle the obvious effects of pressure well.

I agree with with the Brett Favre prescription.....painkillers and booze. It is the only thing that lets me keep my personality and edge, while generally relieves symptoms and unneccessary worry. It may not be PC to say, but it works.

I'm the exact same way. I handle pressure in the moment well, and I’m very outgoing. It seems like these only happen when the stress or pressures aren't right in front of my face. It builds over time, eventually culminating in one of these attacks.

Are you being funny?

Why not channel it in a positive way?...

I recommend the good old German way... Hard work.

Channel it into cleaning... Like scrubbing the kitchen floor! You gotta realize when you go overboard and start acting OCD though!

:thumbsup:

Go to a doctor.

Worst case it could be undiagnosed schizophrenia, early symptoms of Alzheimers, or maybe something worse

May just be stress or depression or stress.

Only way to know for sure is to go to a doctor. Between my mom's breast cancer and the health problems of my grandmother (father's mother who had frequent panic attacks) i have learned not to hide your problems and GO TO A DOCTOR