Pass Interference on last play

BuffalOhio

OK, I've been away a few days enjoying Christmas and I haven't had time to read all the game threads (I'll do that promptly), but this was my biggest pisser after the game. There was serious PI on #24 of the Titans, clearly blocking Reed and knocking him down. I know they never call PI on Hail Mary's, but that's because typically PI in that situation is of the everyone jumping up for the ball and shoving each other around variety. This was a defender not looking at the ball in any way and taking out an offensive receiver as the ball was coming down. Definite PI in any situation!

I know there were plenty of other circumstances during the game such that it should have never come down to that single play. But, still, that was blatant PI and should have been called. We were hosed by a tremendous non call.

Being at my parents house in TN, all the local stations were calling it another Miracle finish for the Titans. Which begged my question. Why do the Titans always have to beat us with some miracle play that, by its name, implies some sort of divine intervention that you just have to take on faith was legitimate even though all reason tells you otherwise?

Why do the Titans always have to beat us with some miracle play that, by its name, implies some sort of divine intervention that you just have to take on faith was legitimate even though all reason tells you otherwise?

878656[/snapback]

The refs are gods.

Actually, the more that I look at that play, if it weren't for the pass interference, then Reed almost certainly would have come up with that ball. Thus, I don't even think it was a wing and a prayer (i.e. a Hail Mary) so to speak. It certainly was not an attempt to draw a flag -- but a valid attempt at making a big play. It's all moot now, but I really think the Bills got hosed there.

OK, I've been away a few days enjoying Christmas and I haven't had time to read all the game threads (I'll do that promptly), but this was my biggest pisser after the game. There was serious PI on #24 of the Titans, clearly blocking Reed and knocking him down. I know they never call PI on Hail Mary's, but that's because typically PI in that situation is of the everyone jumping up for the ball and shoving each other around variety. This was a defender not looking at the ball in any way and taking out an offensive receiver as the ball was coming down. Definite PI in any situation!

I know there were plenty of other circumstances during the game such that it should have never come down to that single play. But, still, that was blatant PI and should have been called. We were hosed by a tremendous non call.

Being at my parents house in TN, all the local stations were calling it another Miracle finish for the Titans. Which begged my question. Why do the Titans always have to beat us with some miracle play that, by its name, implies some sort of divine intervention that you just have to take on faith was legitimate even though all reason tells you otherwise?

Because TN is in the "Bible Belt" and BFLO up is in the heathen north... Those damn :doh:'s up there!

There are a few different concerns from what I have read. The QB moving out of the pocket has no impact on PI calls. Just because the QB moves out of the pocket doesnt mean that the CB can do whatever they want. The rule is the same for PI regardless of where the QB is on the field, and the only exception to PI is if the ball is tipped previously.

The reason why PI is never called on hail marys is because generally both the receivers and defensive backs are all going for the ball. They are all standing in a crowd waiting for it to come down. In any situation, the defender has just as much right to go after the ball as the receiver, and PI is never called if both have a legitimate shot at it.

Im not saying I agree with the no call on sunday. I was at the game but I couldnt see clearly since I was on the opposite side of the field. Just trying to clear up any confusion.

The reason why PI is never called on hail marys is because generally both the receivers and defensive backs are all going for the ball. They are all standing in a crowd waiting for it to come down. In any situation, the defender has just as much right to go after the ball as the receiver, and PI is never called if both have a legitimate shot at it.

Right, but our situation was completely different. Reed was trying to run towards the ball, and the defender just pushed him to the ground. Never made an attempt for the ball -- heck, he didn't even turn around to know where the ball was. I agree about incidental contact in the endzone on a hail mary, but that's not what happened on this play.

Right, but our situation was completely different. Reed was trying to run towards the ball, and the defender just pushed him to the ground. Never made an attempt for the ball -- heck, he didn't even turn around to know where the ball was. I agree about incidental contact in the endzone on a hail mary, but that's not what happened on this play.

Here's the real reason PI is never called on Hail Marys. It's because there is PI on almost every one of them, whether offensive or defensive. A Hail Mary is one of the most exciting play in football, could you imagine if a flag was thrown almost everytime....it would ruin the excitement. Let them fight for it I say. Hell break out the battel axes and sledgehammers. Make it a death match down there. I WANNA SEE SOME FRIGGIN' BLOOD!!! :doh:

To this day I can't stand Pete Carroll. Remember he went for 2 after the Bills left the field

I was at that game. Got arrested going in for selling a ticket(at face no less!!??!!).....then had to watch that fricking ending...then had to listen to two Patsy fans all the way back to Albany. What a beautiful day.