Bills in ESPN TMQ

muggins

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...ht&lid=tab2pos1

Stat of the Week No. 1: Buffalo and Tennessee opened a combined 4-12 and since have gone a combined 10-2.

In other news, what's the best thing to happen to the Buffalo Bills since Jim Kelly and Bruce Smith? Their former coach Mike Mularkey went to work for the Miami Dolphins; see below.

Sweet 'N' Sour Play: Game scoreless, Buffalo faced second-and-16 on the Miami 33. Blocking tight end Robert Royal, who has poor hands and rarely runs anything more than a short turn-out, took off deep downfield on a fly. He was supposed to lure a safety away from the intended receiver. J.P. Losman looked, looked left and seeing no one open, snapped back right and threw a 33-yard touchdown to Royal for the longest reception of the tight end's five-year career. Sending a guy who's never caught a long pass straight up the field on a fly pattern was sweet. Sour: Miami's defense totally ignored Royal, the corner on that side just watching him go by and covering no one, both safeties ignoring him. Hey, he's got bad hands, but nobody is that bad! Ignoring a deep receiver was sour. And we don't wish to alarm you, but Buffalo has won five of its past seven games -- with the only losses to Indianapolis and San Diego by a combined margin of four points.

The Football Gods Chortled: When bumbling coach Mike Mularkey quit the Bills last winter and went to Miami as offensive coordinator, Neil Easterbrook, an Official Brother of TMQ and a diehard Bills' fan, immediately pronounced: "This is great, now Mularkey will coach against Buffalo twice a year and do just as bad for the Dolphins as he did for us." And yea, verily, it came to pass. The Bills swept the Dolphins this season and outscored them 37-6, the sole Miami touchdown coming with a minute remaining in a rout. Hey, Wayne Huizenga -- don't ever fire Mike Mularkey!

And we don't wish to alarm you, but Buffalo has won five of its past seven games -- with the only losses to Indianapolis and San Diego by a combined margin of four points.

And we don't wish to alarm you...it sounds like...we don't wish to dissapoint you.

He also complains that Miami didn't go for it on 4th down enough.

872263[/snapback]

Those decisions to punt struck me as the kinds of decisions that make a coach lose his team. Down 21 with 8 minutes left and a makeable 4th down, how do you not go for it?

Easterbrook beats the "preposterous punt" drum too often but he's dead-on here. Fortunately it's the Dolphins' coach doing it, so I'm happy. :(

Those decisions to punt struck me as the kinds of decisions that make a coach lose his team.  Down 21 with 8 minutes left and a makeable 4th down, how do you not go for it?

Easterbrook beats the "preposterous punt" drum too often but he's dead-on here.  Fortunately it's the Dolphins' coach doing it, so I'm happy.  :(

872320[/snapback]

That was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. I agreed with it because I'm a BILLS' fan and it gave us the best chance to win.

"Buffalo has won five of its past seven games -- with the only losses to Indianapolis and San Diego by a combined margin of four points."

It's spine-tingling to see this in print.

872301[/snapback]

I have a tingling sensation too, though not in the spine, after seeing the Saints cheerleader on page 2. :(

Those decisions to punt struck me as the kinds of decisions that make a coach lose his team.  Down 21 with 8 minutes left and a makeable 4th down, how do you not go for it?

Easterbrook beats the "preposterous punt" drum too often but he's dead-on here.  Fortunately it's the Dolphins' coach doing it, so I'm happy.  :(

872320[/snapback]

The only issue was that Roscoe picked that time to have a total brain fart....and almost made it work for them...

That was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen.

872322[/snapback]

What made it all the more moronic was when they decided to suddenly call time out to preserve time on the clock so we could kick the ball back to where they had it when they didn't want to go for it on fourth down.

I'm so glad our coaching staff is not longer a laughing stock.