Carmelo Anthony receives 15 game suspension

Absolutely not. Race has NOTHING to do with it. Last I checked, all men were created equal. And therefore bad behavior by one person is not more acceptable than the same bad behavior by another.

The majority of players in the NBA are black. It then stands to reason that the majority of the bad guys in the NBA are also black. Thats not racism. Thats reality. If Carmelo was any other race, my outrage would be the same. This fight is a microcasm of what is wrong with the NBA.  The tip of the iceberg.

Kobe Bryant - Accused of Rape

Jayson Wiliams - Manslaughter

A.I. - Gun and Assault charges

Jason Kidd - Domestic Abuse

The list goes on and on....and this carries over to the court.  The whole culture of the NBA is a disaster.  There needs to be a culture shift before the NBA can again be a sport i'll watch.  But its worth saying.  Show me the white rapist in the NBA.  Show me the white guy accused of domestic abuse.  Show me the white murder. Show me the white guy who gets arrested on gun charges.  I'm sure there is some you can name, because its THE NBA CULTURE, but I cant think of any off the top of my head.

The NFL...better get its act in gear. Ray Lewis, Rae Carruth, Terrell Owens, Marcus Vick, Sean Taylor, and now possibly Tank Johnson. Yes. I know. All Black. Is this racism? No. Show me a white guy in the NFL who has been brought up on murder charges, spit in someones face or pointed a gun at someone in public and I will deplore those acts as vigorously as I do the above list.  I cant think of any off the top of my head.

Now, the NHL is a little different story. Fighting is accepted by the league. It is part of the leagues history. Its part of every game. And it is very often done between two players who are friends and respect each other. Now, there are thugs in the NHL as well. Bertuzzi and McSorley come to mind. And there are players out there TRYING to injure players. Thats no more respectable than Collins on the Knicks yesterday. But again, show me the murder. Show me the spitter. Show me the public displays of firearms. 

Making the argument that Fighting is acceptable in Hockey therefore it should be acceptable in all sports, is like saying that since fighting is acceptable in Boxing, then its acceptable in WalMart over a PS3. 

So to reiterate one more time. Bad behavior is bad behavior. I dont care what race you are. If you kill someone. If you spit in someones face. If you irresponsibly use firearms. You are a bad person. Period.

What carmello did was wrong.  What all 10 guys on the court did was wrong.  Its not murder or gun charges, but its still wrong.  But in the case of the NBA, it represents a bigger problem.

868875[/snapback]

Bill Romanowski

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems reasonable...very ugly and i am very dissapointed by Melo, but like what I heard him say yesterday...can't wait to see how Isiah Thomas escapes this....

Melo suspended 15 games per ESPNews.

Both organizations fined $500,000.

Other players recieved multiple game suspensions.  Nate Robinson got 10 games.

870848[/snapback]

Isiah Thomas continues to embarrass himself and the Knicks. Here is how I would have handled it:

Isiah: 10 games + serious fine

- He basically admitted that he ordered his player to make a hard foul on anyone who "went in the lane" at that point in the game. He told Carmelo exactly this right before it happened. I mean, John Cheney anyone? How Isiah managed to escape unpunished is beyond ridiculous to me. His actions were the proximate cause of the resulting melee.

Carmelo Anthony: 10 games

- Let's stop with the sucker punch sht. This wasn't Kermit Washington/Rudy T. Collins was staring right at him when Carmelo swung and he barely hit him. It was a cowardly, inexcusable act, but let's not make Mardy Collins into some innocent victim.

Mardy Collins: 6-10 games.

- His excuse about not trying to hurt JR Smith is lame. What he did could have resulted in serious injury. Had Smith gotten injured, this becomes a huge deal. The situation shouldn't change too much just because he didn't get hurt. Fouling someone like that, despite frustration, is a cowardly act. JR Smith was in a more vulnerable situation when Collins hit him than Collins was when Anthony hit him,

Nate Robinson: 6-10 games

- There was no need for lil' Nate to come running in and start pushing JR Smith. Smith had just been horse-collared and getting in Collins' face is reasonable and expected. Nothing may have come from the whole situation had Nate not come flying in to repeatedly shove Smith away.

JR Smith: 5 games

- Attacking Nate Robinson was not the right thing to do. However, I can understand him snapping like he did. He was already heated over being fouled and immediately after he steps to Collins, Nate comes out of nowhere to rile him up more. I might have hit Robinson too, but regardless, 5 games is fine for that.

Jared Jeffries: 2-4 games

- Running after and swinging at Melo when he backpeddled like a sissy was the wrong move, but not anywhere equal to the other infractions.

seems reasonable...very ugly and i am very dissapointed by Melo, but like what I heard him say yesterday...can't wait to see how Isiah Thomas escapes this....

870888[/snapback]

He escaped it like a snake, wriggling through the grass. The league fined both teams, but nothing specific for the guy that instigated the whole thing. If he had a decent GM who gave him decent players he would still suck as a coach.

Isiah is a thug.

871132[/snapback]

Yes but those of us who hate the NBA love him. Isiah ensures that the Knicks won't be anywhere near the playoffs, thus ending the NY Media coverage of basketball that much sooner in the spring so the focus can be on baseball and hockey.

Go Isiah!

Give me a break. He sucker punched the guy. It was wrong, but dont make it into something its not. He didnt kill, rape, abuse ... etc anyone. The person who was hit wasn't exactly innocent either as he was taking part in the fight.

He lost his temper ... Im sure we all have at one point or may in the future. Those who judge should be judged the hardest IMO.

He should be suspended without pay for the rest of the season.  What a uncalled for sucker punch. And just when thing were calming down.  He threw that punch on purpose.  He's a disgrace to the NBA. :(

868686[/snapback]

and then runs away like a little girl, what a :bag:

cheap shotted?

871805[/snapback]

It was only a cheap shot because Melo ran away like a girl. If he stood there and rumbled, everyone would've had a lot more respect for him. I agree with tater, when a brawl is going on, you can't run your mouth and then act surprised when you get tagged.

George Karl in the locker room after the game (drinking a Miller High Life):

George Karl: Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast.

J.R. Smith: It jumped up a notch.

George Karl: It did, didn't it?

Carmelo Anthony: Yeah, I stabbed a man in the heart.

George Karl: I saw that. Melo killed a guy. Did you throw a trident?

Carmelo Anthony: Yeah, there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident.

George Karl: Melo, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder.

Geroge Karl: I'm proud of you fellas. You all kept your head on a swivel, and that's what you gotta do when you find yourself in a vicious rooster fight.

HAHAHAHA!! Awesome

It was only a cheap shot because Melo ran away like a girl.  If he stood there and rumbled, everyone would've had a lot more respect for him.  I agree with tater, when a brawl is going on, you can't run your mouth and then act surprised when you get tagged.

George Karl in the locker room after the game (drinking a Miller High Life):

George Karl: Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast.

J.R. Smith: It jumped up a notch.

George Karl: It did, didn't it?

Carmelo Anthony: Yeah, I stabbed a man in the heart.

George Karl: I saw that. Melo killed a guy. Did you throw a trident?

Carmelo Anthony: Yeah, there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident.

George Karl: Melo, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder.

Geroge Karl: I'm proud of you fellas. You all kept your head on a swivel, and that's what you gotta do when you find yourself in a vicious rooster fight.

871829[/snapback]