Losman's stats

I just crunched these numbers to show some nitwit on the Dolphins board who won't admit the Bills have gotten any better since the early weeks of the season. I figured since I have them in front of me, I may as well post 'em here. For those who are interested:

Losman's first 7 games

78.9 QB rating, 61.9% comp (122 for 197), 6.7 ypa, 187.6 ypg, 6 TDs, 6 INTs, 21 sacks taken, 8 fumbles (5 lost)

Losman's last 6 games

92.7 QB rating, 64.8% comp (94 for 145), 7.1 ypa, 172.5 ypg, 8 TDs, 4 INTs, 17 sacks taken, 4 fumbles (1 lost)

It's great to see the improved TD/INT ratio and the cutback on turnovers in general. And his passer rating really shot up, for what its worth. The comparison would work better after his 14th game to even it out, but what the hey... :lol:

I just crunched these numbers to show some nitwit on the Dolphins board who won't admit the Bills have gotten any better since the early weeks of the season. I figured since I have them in front of me, I may as well post 'em here. For those who are interested:

Losman's first 7 games

78.9 QB rating, 61.9% comp (122 for 197), 6.7 ypa, 187.6 ypg, 6 TDs, 6 INTs, 21 sacks taken, 8 fumbles (5 lost)

Losman's last 6 games

92.7 QB rating, 64.8% comp (94 for 145), 7.1 ypa, 172.5 ypg, 8 TDs, 4 INTs, 17 sacks taken, 4 fumbles (1 lost)

It's great to see the improved TD/INT ratio and the cutback on turnovers in general. And his passer rating really shot up, for what its worth. The comparison would work better after his 14th game to even it out, but what the hey...  :lol:

868323[/snapback]

the thing i like most about those numbers is the amount of tunrovers has gotten lower. that was his biggest problem at the start of the season

I haven't posted in a while but hey - I can't let this one go by :lol: Is holcombs_arm still calling for Nall to start??

Once and for all this reminds me of 1987. Kelly was a "drunken bum" according to all the pontificators - but then we went to the AFC championship in 1998. My uncle hooked my brother and I up with his tickets at the JAX game this year - afterwards I met Jim for the first time in that little bar on Abbot road - outside and then upstairs(for the usual suspects who bust balls) - I met Lee Evans too - he is tiny!!! I can't imagine how small Parrish is now. For five minutes it was small talk but I asked about JP(couldn't help it) in relation to his first couple of seasons.

He laughed and said he wouldn't talk about it - but - the answer was in his eyes. Well, (disclaimer) from what I could tell being 13 drinks into it :lol: I have to say that my call is Jim thinks he's very good. That half a second was quite something - or I was just smashed. Either way, he didn't laugh at all. In fact, I got the impression that he was almost jealous in the sense that he wished he was still out there. You don't get jealous of a tool. :doh: Jim is a great guy - and now I get to bust my Dad's balls for ever talking smack about him:0

I have no idea if this means anything at all. And maybe it doesn't. But, I am pretty sure that Jim's reaction speaks volumes. I think that most of us who have supported JP since May have been vindicated. We have already improved on last year's record. This is a real team, with a real set of goals, leadership they can finally believe in, and perhaps most importantly a set of coaches who know how to use their players' strengths - finally. Now, if we can finally, finally, finally, do what BillNYC - and JAthur and his group - have been asking for and draft solid OL and DL we are gonna get back to being good.

Merry Christmas(or Insert holiday here) and Happy New Year. :lol:

Apart from the fumbles, I don't see any substantial improvement (in his stats). A couple of % in completion isn't much, the 0.4 ypa can be almost exactly explained by a single 83 yard bomb, the sacks & INTs are almost the same in %age. His TDs have improved, but the #s aren't so substantial that they can't be explained by typical deviation.

That said, I think that he (along w/ the rest of the offense) are playing better, which IMO is attributable mostly to an Oline that's more capable in pass blocking.

Apart from the fumbles, I don't see any substantial improvement (in his stats).  A couple of % in completion isn't much, the 0.4 ypa can be almost exactly explained by a single 83 yard bomb, the sacks & INTs are almost the same in %age.  His TDs have improved, but the #s aren't so substantial that they can't be explained by typical deviation.

That said, I think that he (along w/ the rest of the offense) are playing better, which IMO is attributable mostly to an Oline that's more capable in pass blocking.

868466[/snapback]

and 8 touchdowns to 4 interceptions is no better than 6 touchdowns to 6 interceptions? There is improvement in every single stat and some of it is minimal like as you mentioned the YPA and completion %, but the most important ones have improved.

and 8 touchdowns to 4 interceptions is no better than 6 touchdowns to 6 interceptions

QB Ratings are based on %age of TDs & %age of INTs. His INT %age went down from 3.0 to 2.8%, hardly statistically relevent. If just one of those dropped potential INTs gets caught, it makes the %age worse.

I conceded that his TD #s did improve, but again, I think the discrepancy could easily be explained by typical small samplings varying from the norm.

no he's got a new crusade going on PPP

868487[/snapback]

I suppose that's one way of putting it. If someone doesn't understand me the first time I say something, I have a tendency to explain it again. I happened to come across a relatively counter-intuitive statistical phenomenon, which I mentioned in passing over on the PPP boards. I thought--wrongly--that others would quickly and clearly grasp what this phenomenon was all about. Most people didn't, so I had to explain it again. It was rather annoying to have been ridiculed for making objectively true statements. To remove any doubt, I provided links to a number of independent, credible websites which supported what I'd been saying. These links were generally misunderstood or ignored.

I tried so hard to teach people about that phenomenon, and most still don't understand it. I've never been a teacher, but I feel I now have a better understanding of some of the frustrations they must endure.

Now, if we can finally, finally, finally, do what BillNYC has been asking for and draft solid OL and DL we are gonna get back to being good.

Merry Christmas(or Insert holiday here) and Happy New Year.  :rolleyes:

868341[/snapback]

A select few of us have been clamoring for a good line for 3 years now. We have been ostracized and called idiots because most members here thought it was solely a QB problem.

A select few of us have been clamoring for a good line for 3 years now.  We have been ostracized and called idiots because most members here thought it was solely a QB problem.

870376[/snapback]

My apologies Jarthur I have corrected my post ^see above^

I suppose that's one way of putting it. If someone doesn't understand me the first time I say something, I have a tendency to explain it again.

I've never been a teacher, but I feel I now have a better understanding of some of the frustrations they must endure.

870361[/snapback]

Teaching is one part of my job. To be brutally honest your problem is the first bolded statement. When someone doesn't understand something the last thing you want to do is repeat yourself(as though they are idiots). It puts them in a "one-down" position and causes them to start blocking out what u are saying. This isn't about u - it's human nature. Rather - at that point it's time to listen - not talk. Try to figure out how they learn, and re-approach them with a new angle that specifically addresses their, not your, needs; and make sure you figure out what parts they understood and what they didn't. Tailor your next attempt based on these factors and you will see results.

The second bolded statement is therefore obvious. So perhaps you feel the frustrations of BAD teachers, not good ones. I doubt anyone on this board thinks you are dumb - wrong perhaps :rolleyes: - but not dumb. But, dont' forget that we aren't dumb either and however well formed your argument is to you - if you can't convince anyone of its merits - it's merely a waste of time. :nana:

Teaching is one part of my job. To be brutally honest your problem is the first bolded statement. When someone doesn't understand something the last thing you want to do is repeat yourself(as though they are idiots). It puts them in a "one-down" position and causes them to start blocking out what u are saying. This isn't about u - it's human nature. Rather - at that point it's time to listen - not talk. Try to figure out how they learn, and re-approach them with a new angle that specifically addresses their, not your, needs; and make sure you figure out what parts they understood and what they didn't. Tailor your next attempt based on these factors and you will see results.

The second bolded statement is therefore obvious. So perhaps you feel the frustrations of BAD teachers, not good ones. I doubt anyone on this board thinks you are dumb - wrong perhaps  :nana: - but not dumb. But, dont' forget that we aren't dumb either and however well formed your argument is to you - if you can't convince anyone of its merits - it's merely a waste of time.  :nana:

870391[/snapback]

I've got no idea about the argument since I didn't follow it at all but......what happens when you are trying to explain something to somebody who either simply hasn't the cognitive capacity to comprehend.....or has an emotional issue involved so as to be unable to see what you are putting across clearly?

I'm not saying that was the case here....as I said I wouldn't have a clue since I didn't follow it but......when faced with that sort of situation, you can only dumb down or re-approach a subject in so many ways before frustration(or humour) sets in.

There's also the concept of people arguing simply for the sake of opposing......nit-picking side issues so as to (purposefully) never see/acknowledge the original points being made.

Not that I've ever encountered that sort of behaviour on this board. :rolleyes:

I've got no idea about the argument since I didn't follow it at all but......what happens when you are trying to explain something to somebody who either simply hasn't the cognitive capacity to comprehend.....or has an emotional issue involved so as to be unable to see what you are putting across clearly? 

I'm not saying that was the case here....as I said I wouldn't have a clue since I didn't follow it but......when faced with that sort of situation, you can only dumb down or re-approach a subject in so many ways before frustration(or humour) sets in.

There's also the concept of people arguing simply for the sake of opposing......nit-picking side issues so as to (purposefully) never see/acknowledge the original points being made.

Not that I've ever encountered that sort of behaviour on this board. :rolleyes:

870393[/snapback]

First of all I am trying to make HA feel better - I thought that was obvious. Or perhaps you are lacking in "cognitive capacity to comprehend"(alliteration even). HAHA! Just Kidding.

But seriously, all the points you have raised happen every day. So what? You still have to get the job done. If anything, you are reinforcing my point. If any of the things you have listed are happening, you won't know if you are not listening for them. Right? It's not enough to lay out information the way you like to hear it - because you ain't the one being taught jack! Moreover, if a guy doesn't have the skills to deal with these road blocks - then the problem lies with that guy - not the people he is trying to inform. The answer is: go get the skills - don't blame the students/audience/client.

In fact, it starts with caring enough about the other person to be willing to do what I am suggesting. If you start with a mindset that you will be "Dumbing Things Down" for the "clown" you are trying to work with - you have already failed. So don't waste time - fix yourself before you attempt to fix others. You might find it surprising what even a small change in a mindset can do in the situations you have laid out.

As far as nit-picking goes - everyone can see that for what it is - so who cares? Nitpicking only becomes relevant depending upon how the guy getting nit-picked responds to it. A simple "Please explain how that point is relevant to this subject/issue" does the trick nicely. It forces them to either explain(you never know maybe it's actually important) - or shut up - because you control the subject and now they have to speak directly to your issue - or, if their real intention is to do damage - they now get to look dumb in front of others=nitpicking will end soon. In all cases, mission accomplished.

Hope that helps :nana: And I don't want to Highjack this thread any more than it already is :nana: so PM me if you still have any interest in this stuff.

Not that I've ever encountered that sort of behaviour on this board. :unsure:

870393[/snapback]

If I had a dime for each time I encountered the behaviors you described, I'd be Bill Gates.

I think Losman would be alot better if we could sure up the interior line....the sacks are still high, but....I will take it for now. JP has come along ways, and I couldnt be happier for him.

I was one of those people saying get rid of JP, but the kid has come along ways and now, I really do think hes our future!

I think we can credit alot of his success 2nd half of the year to the staff believing JP can do it.....but its also nice to see JP have a TE he can throw the ball to aswell....

The second bolded statement is therefore obvious. So perhaps you feel the frustrations of BAD teachers, not good ones. I doubt anyone on this board thinks you are dumb - wrong perhaps  :unsure: - but not dumb. But, dont' forget that we aren't dumb either and however well formed your argument is to you - if you can't convince anyone of its merits - it's merely a waste of time.  :lol:

870391[/snapback]

I appreciate the advice, but I'm not sure how well even you could do with this particular crowd. You're welcome to take a crack at it though. The underlying phenomenon is described here. If you're able to get that particular message through the barriers of extremely aggressive ignorance people have set up, I'll think of you as the teacher of the year.