5 all-time best moments, 5 all-time worst

John Gianelli

Here's a hint, if you don't want to start a debate, stop bringing it up.  The reality is that what prevented the Bills 5th Super Bowl berth that season was very bad QB play on an otherwise stellar team during the regular season, which lead to the controversial decision to play the backup, which almost resulted in an incredible road playoff win for a team that couldn't beat scrub teams like the NYG or Oakland Raiders AT HOME with a struggling starting QB during the regular season which cost them the homefield advantage that their talent level indictated they deserved.  IMO, the most talented team the Bills had had since SB XXVI.

"Distraction" about the QB choice clearly didn't cost the team that playoff game though, lousy kick coverage did.  Not just "HR Throwback" either, ALL DAY.  The only real distractions were a good defense facing a suddenly banged up Bills offensive line, a loud, PA-system enhanced crowd and some unfortunate officiating from the Bills perspective.  The backup QB lead Bills offense outplayed the Titans offense.  Johnson outplayed Steve McNair.  The Bills defense outplayed the Titans defense.  So please enough with the QB debate and the nonsense about "distractions" and all the other mythology about that game.

868176[/snapback]

Nice post - don't forget the Giants had like 3 practice squad players starting in the secondary that game, and our vaunted offense scored more than 16 points on the road in an impressive two games all year; none of them against a defense the caliber of Tennessee's. I don't feel like re-visiting the pathetic 1-sided officiating in the last 2 minutes of the 1st half, but it was very reminiscent of USA vs. USSR '72 olympics in Munich.

To be fair to the midget though, part of the road wildcard game was just bad luck in that the Colts picked that year to win 13 games. Figures that whenever the Patsies go 11-5 they get a 1st round bye :thumbdown:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good one - and I never blamed Reed for doing that given the circumstances.

868516[/snapback]

Me either. I was screaming for Reed to hit the Ref with his helmet. Or at least take him out of the game with a shot to the knee on the next play.

I wanted to do this without looking at everyone elses answer first so here goes,

1)Going to 4 straight Super Bowls

2) The comeback win over Houstan

3)31-0 over the patriots

Worst

1) Losing 4 straight Super Bowls

2) The Homerun throwback

3) The loss to the patriots opening day this year.

Maybe,  but then again,  maybe not.  Lets not forget that the Bills lost on the final play against the Dolphins in the previous year in the playoffs.  Flutie committed several turnovers in that game himself,  including a fumble on the final play.

868441[/snapback]

Not to mention the Bills averaged 20 points a game that season, if take away RJ's performance against Indy it goes down to 18.13. As even if Flutie would have avoided the safety the Titans still would have had 20 points which was more then said average.

Best

1. The comeback against the oilers.

2. 51-3 rout of the Raiders giving theBills their first SB appearance.

3. Thurman Thomas and Kenneth Davis both rushing for over 100 Yds in the

same game. (although i forget when it was)

4. 34-31 win over the 49ers in SF in'92 or '93. First ever NFL game with no punts

by either team.

5. 31-0 over the Patriots on opening day.

Worst

1. Norwood's miss in SB XXV

2. Playoff loss to Tenn.

3. Release of Thurman, Bruce Smith, and Andre Reed.

4. Blowout loss to the Cowboys in SB XXVII

5. Loss to the Steelers in final regular season game of '03 keeping Buffalo out of

the playoffs.