Do any young women cook anymore?

Mikie2times

Had to read that post a second time to make sure you weren't joking.  I've met several people who have the kind of job they can't really discuss so when asked where they work they say the Culinary Institute of America :ph34r:

867296[/snapback]

I usually hear engineer from the people i know.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that, it was friggin funny!  It was on college campuses nationwide.

866684[/snapback]

Even funnier was the one hippie, man-hating, psyco chick who DID actually know what sufferage was and stood there tying to warn all the women about how they were being made looks stupid by Jimmy and Adam...

My girl could never cook because she never tried. She is an *extremely* picky eater and therefore (a) had no desire to touch gross foods (raw meat, etc.) and (b) no desire to cook something that she wasn't going to eat.

Additionally, she is a very smart and capable girl but she would say ridiculous things like she didn't know how to boil water. Like what is that sht about?? Like JSP said, she is a GREAT baker...muffins, cookies, cupcakes, cakes, etc...ALL on point. But cooking was a different story.

So what I did was encourage her to try some new foods, and start cooking some simple things. I think she also wanted to impress her parents when they came over for dinner. So she started going to the Kraft website and making meals from there. Obviously nothing there is going to end up on the menu of a four star restaurant, but there are some decent enough, easy recipies to make. Plus everything is user-rated so she would just pick things that had the highest ratings.

So she started making things and I would help her with the prep. Before I knew it, she was cooking something very good once a week with plenty of leftovers to snack on. Like I said, she isn't cooking Thanksgiving dinner or a gourmet meal, but she makes a mean lasagna, an amazing peanut butter pie and several other things that I look forward too.

As she becomes more comfortable, she is trying harder (and hopefully more delicious) recipies. But I feel like as long as I let her go at her own pace, she will want to do it herself.

Encourage her to give easy things a try so that she can get a few under her belt. If she balks at that, I'd hint at the idea that sucking at anything is not something to proud of. I mean I told Katie, I don't know why she thought it was okay to be shtty at something. She should have pride in developing a new talent.

My take is, one is either a good baker or cook...

My grandmother liked baking...  My mother liked cooking... And my wife likes baking...

Figures?  I am a "meat an potato" person... Bake goods and sweets, I could live without...

:lol:  :lol:

868318[/snapback]

i beg to differ

my mom, grandmother, and great aunt were great at both

my grandmother (father's mother) and great aunt (sister of grandmother) taught my mother.

so i guess its a tradition passed down thru the ages. unfortunately my grandmother and great aunt have passed on. and my hopefully my mom (well see my sad thread on breast cancer :doh:) can teach whatever unlucky young lady i end up marrying

i beg to differ

my mom, grandmother, and great aunt were great at both

my grandmother (father's mother) and great aunt (sister of grandmother) taught my mother.

so i guess its a tradition passed down thru the ages.  unfortunately my grandmother and great aunt have passed on.  and my hopefully my mom (well see my sad thread on breast cancer :lol:) can teach whatever unlucky young lady i end up marrying

868320[/snapback]

I probably phrased it wrong... It is what you like to do better...

Some are truly blessed without any skills dropoff between both...

My grandmother cooked fine, my mother baked good too... It is my wife that perfers to "outsource" the cooking when the mood suits her... :lol::doh:

Here is a good book we read to our kids... Not for you "scratch-scratch" purists or uptight traditionalist/conservative:

Cherry Pies and Lullabies

My young ladies since they were old enough worked with their mom and learned to cook and care for home. Their Mother did the same and her Mother before her the same.

Mother and all six girls cook and care for their homes plus knit and sew making their own dresses just as generations before them did and I am most thankful for that. :thumbdown: