Do any young women cook anymore?

Mikie2times

I'm 24, fairly traditional background. My Mom handled most of the cooking duties which probably could be said for most in my demographic. I'm not one to think it's a woman's job to cook, but I'm just shocked at how few actually can. I'm talking complete cooking incompetence. In my last two relationships hot pockets would have been a challenge to what were otherwise intelligent women. You would think some degree of competency would be important for survival. It is after all, eating.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm talking complete cooking incompetence.

You need to find one whose mom (and possibly dad or grandparent) showed her the ropes. My wife can pretty much make anything. As she likes to tell me, "if you can read, you can cook".

Very few people cook these days.  Take a look around.  Why do you think there is a restaurant of some sort on every street corner.  If I were your age I would be taking some cooking lessons.  Chicks dig guys who can cook.  :thumbsup:

865913[/snapback]

Absolutely on this. They way I look at it, if you can read - you can cook.

Very few people cook these days.  Take a look around.  Why do you think there is a restaurant of some sort on every street corner.  If I were your age I would be taking some cooking lessons.  Chicks dig guys who can cook.  :thumbsup:

865913[/snapback]

I cook like a crazy person, and usually love doing it so long as it's on my terms. But when I have to do it all the time because my significant other doesn't know how to. Well it's frustrating. Sometimes you wan’t to be cooked a meal you know?

Just to be clear it's not just her, I see it with former friends and other people I've dated. I really can’t think of more then two or three women I’ve met that actually know how to cook.

You need to find one whose mom (and possibly dad or grandparent) showed her the ropes.  My wife can pretty much make anything.  As she likes to tell me, "if you can read, you can cook".

865920[/snapback]

Funny thing is her Mom's a great cook. The type that practically force feeds you, real old school. I think in my girls case she might have gotten it so overdone she never felt the need to learn. But still this shouldn't change the rest of the young women in this country.

Or as meazza says:  "if they can read, they can breed."

865935[/snapback]

YEAH!

And if they can't, Hooked on Phonics here they come.

*Edit: I was in no way seriously stating that meazza is a pediphile and in no way am i claiming to be one either. Strictly for entertainment.

Funny thing is her Mom's a great cook. The type that practically force feeds you, real old school. I think in my girls case she might have gotten it so overdone she never felt the need to learn. But still this shouldn't change the rest of the young women in this country.

865936[/snapback]

Did her mom actually show her how to cook? My mom did all of the cooking while I was a kid but she also had us help her once and a while. That's the only way I learned. I'm too lazy to learn on my own. :thumbsup:

Absolutely not.  My ex-girlfriend could not cook for the life of her.  For dinner, she would put a ham sandwich on a plate and call it "ham sandwich casserole".  I ended up making breakfast, lunch and dinner for the girl.

865947[/snapback]

So did your grandmother pass gingerly?

Absolutely not.  My ex-girlfriend could not cook for the life of her.  For dinner, she would put a ham sandwich on a plate and call it "ham sandwich casserole".  I ended up making breakfast, lunch and dinner for the girl.

865947[/snapback]

My brothers wife can cook. For a Jewish Moroccan girl, she can make a great meal but it's not for nothing that my brother "visits" on Sunday and asks my mom to make him some pasta :thumbsup:

Did her mom actually show her how to cook?  My mom did all of the cooking while I was a kid but she also had us help her once and a while.  That's the only way I learned.  I'm too lazy to learn on my own.  :thumbsup:

865944[/snapback]

My guess would be no, if so she has the patience of a saint. I've tried showing her a few things and it was no different then when she brought home math from college. My Mom did the same thing with me that's how I learned.

I'm trying to cut back on my GD's from 50 a day to 25. So how about please?

865962[/snapback]

I've settled for worse. Like that one cross eyed mary down in Myrtle Beach...

But seriously, the females that i hang around with do know how to cook certain things. The fact of the matter is that women are no longer restricted to certain things like Home Ec. class in high school, and there is going to be a slight decline in women knowing how to cook as time goes on in this country.

In every sector of the household now, men and women are sharing a mutual role in child rearing, bill payments, cleaning, and even cooking.

I guess that sad truth is that it is going to have to be that men cook somethings well for the family or couple, and women cook things well for the family or couple.

I guess that sad truth is that it is going to have to be that men cook somethings well for the family or couple, and women cook things well for the family or couple.

865968[/snapback]

What I'm asking for is the split in cooking duties. Problem is most the women I've met can't hold up that end of the bargain. I've seen several couples and friends, who have shared my experiences. This all leads me to believe this trend is stronger then it should be.

Gender changes in society have played a roll in the amount of women that know how to cook. But to me that's not an excuse. It's a fundamental part of life that everybody should at least have some knowledge about. Your group of friends appears different which is what I'm looking for. Maybe it's just the people I know more then it actually being true.