I don't wish to alarm you but....

Aaron Schobel leads the NFL in sacks.

London Fletcher is 3rd in the NFL in tackles (only 7 off 1st).

JP Losman (12th in NFL passer rating) has a better rating than Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Matt Hasselbeck, Steve McNair, Matt Leinart and Michael Vick.

Lee Evans is 8th of NFL recievers (5th AFC).

Terence McGee is 4th in NFL KO return yard avg (despite missing time).

Roscoe Parrish is 2nd in NFL punt return avg.

Brian Moorman leads the NFL in avg net punt yardage.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The Buffalo Bills have a league worst 189 first downs.

Only Oakland and Tampa Bay have fewer offensive yards than the Buffalo Bills.

In 2004, after beating the NY Jets in week 14 to get their 6th win of the season, the Buffalo Bills lost all three remaining games (including losses against Miami and Tennessee) to finish 6-10 on the year.

JP Losman (12th in NFL passer rating) has a better rating than Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Matt Hasselbeck, Steve McNair, Matt Leinart and Michael Vick.

In 2004, after beating the NY Jets in week 14 to get their 6th win of the season, the Buffalo Bills lost all three remaining games (including losses against Miami and Tennessee) to finish 6-10 on the year.

865285[/snapback]

Well Merry Christmas to you too! :w00t:

865285[/snapback]

That was 2003.

Nick,

Great data... but the year of 6-10 was 2003.

RJ

EDIT: I guess I should have read to the end of the thread first... oh well. :w00t:

865285[/snapback]

Well, you've given us the good and the bad but, curiously, end with a declaration of ominous portent.

However, the postitive is much more portentous of the emerging Bills dynasty next season and well beyond - so portentous, in fact, that I must revise my intial prognostication and say...

BuffTown Football Bills-- 37

Dick-less Sea Mammals- 0

GO BILLSSS!!!!

:w00t:

I think this has a lot to do with the Bills being TOO conservative. Think about the Indy game and how we marched down the field on the first drive of the game. We had 8 first downs on that drive alone. After that, we had 5 THE ENTIRE GAME. Why? Because we relied on the ball control style offense of running the ball.

Even though our offense has been futile at times, I think we are seeing some improvement in areas (ie Losman and the OLine since the bye week).

865285[/snapback]

I think this pretty much summarized every single post that's ever been written on TSW during the past five years.

I think this has a lot to do with the Bills being TOO conservative.  Think about the Indy game and how we marched down the field on the first drive of the game.  We had 8 first downs on that drive alone.  After that, we had 5 THE ENTIRE GAME.  Why?  Because we relied on the ball control style offense of running the ball. 

865317[/snapback]

It is a bit painful... :w00t:

But the team isn't a powerhouse yet, and have done the right thing...keeping most of their games close. Having a nearly even points for/against number is an impressive thing for a club that had a lot of question marks starting the season. I don't think the stronger opposing clubs are taking them for an easy win.

Other than the handful of blow-outs that all teams suffer, they've managed to keep the fans hopeful in the second half in most games. Good stuff.

It is a bit painful... :w00t:

But the team isn't a powerhouse yet, and have done the right thing...keeping most of their games close.  Having a nearly even points for/against number is an impressive thing for a club that had a lot of question marks starting the season.  I don't think the stronger opposing clubs are taking them for an easy win.

Other than the handful of blow-outs that all teams suffer, they've managed to keep the fans hopeful in the second half on most games.  Good stuff.

865350[/snapback]

Living here in NYC and having to deal with the NYC area football team blowhards, they all concur: The Bills are no slouch. They have won 4 of their last 6 and in their losses this season, they have faced the division leader in 5 of those games. At least it is good to hear the talking heads taking notice in the Bills improvement over the season.

Living here in NYC and having to deal with the NYC area football team blowhards, they all concur: The Bills are no slouch.  They have won 4 of their last 6 and in their losses this season, they have faced the division leader in 5 of those games.  At least it is good to hear the talking heads taking notice in the Bills improvement over the season.

865363[/snapback]

I find that the local n'paper beat reporters in the NFL cities have a more fair assessment of other teams - Bills included.

The national crowd tends towards grandiose (blowhard :w00t: ) statements...

865285[/snapback]

\

forgive my ignorance, but isn't this at least partly a function of the Bills success with "big plays" on offense? If you;re completing 50+ yard pass plays, and even a running play last week, that would limit the opportunity to pile up first down after first down on offense.

haha - good stuff. I like presenting the facts, juxtaposing some of the facts against other facts, without comment, and seeing the reaction.

FWIW - I think we are having a good season for what is ostensibly a rebuilding season. The first batch of stats are great news, that demonstrates we obviously have some very talented players on our team.

The middle stats demonstrate that we don't have a fully cohesive team yet, despite the very good players we have in places.

The end stat made me laugh - I came across it by accident when I was browsing the Jets results against us in past years. BUT tt's a strange coincidence that New England in 2003 (not 2004, my bad) was a lock for the playoffs as division winner and we played and lost to them on the last day of the year. This time we face Baltimore, who look to be a lock for the playoffs as division winners too. It's this kind of analysis that helps us understand football better. If only we knew what it means.

\

forgive my ignorance, but isn't this at least partly a function of the Bills success with "big plays" on offense?  If you;re completing 50+ yard pass plays, and even a running play last week, that would limit the opportunity to pile up first down after first down on offense.

865381[/snapback]

Agreed - that's why we've won games (or gone close) without getting loads of 1st Downs.

But it's not a good sign - and it indicates we've been too conservative so far. Some more industrious person than I might analyse the number of first downs over the first 6 games as compared to the last 7 to see how those 189 are spread out.

865285[/snapback]

But ESPN has him ranked behind all of those chuckleheads, and that's all that matters, really.