For you metrosexuals out there...

Tux of Borg

Ok. So basically your saying this:

Nate has always done a GOOD job at his position and has shutdown wide receivers like Steve Smith, Johnson ... etc but it was not until he past 6 games that he became a true PLAYMAKER. One that can break a game open? Correct?

So now we are going to let him go to another team because we dont want to potentially "overpay" a GOOD player ALL the time and who is a PLAYMAKER some of the time? That is the type of thinking that has gotten us to no playoffs in the past 6 years. We need to stop getting rid of players because we dont want to overpay them. Think Pat Williams, Ted Washington, Antoine Winfield, Sam Cowart ... etc

:(  :P  Find me two other times I bragged about me being right about Nate.

863281[/snapback]

All I have ever said was not to overpay the guy. when you first started you Nate ballwashing he was playing well, but doing nothing special and didn't do anything to deserve the amount he wants. It would not have been that hard to find someone who cold play around that level for far less money.

Now he has shown he can be a playmaker, and deserving of being payed rather well. He has now shown that he is worth spending that little bit extra to keep.

You don't overpay a player who is good some of the time, it can get you in cap trouble very easily.

And as stated many time before, no one is saying to let him walk, they are just saying that because of how he was playing, don't overpay for the guy. But in the past couple weeks, he has become the playmaker that is deserving of what he is looking at getting payed.

I agree with you except for I think that he has been playing like a $35 mill corner the past few years and a $45 mill corner the past 6 weeks. You have to remember that Inflation is hitting the NFL hard.

863313[/snapback]

I don't know, he was playing more like a $29.65 mil corner before, and is now plaing like a $43.81 mil corner, and that is with inflation

All I have ever said was not to overpay the guy. when you first started you Nate ballwashing he was playing well, but doing nothing special and didn't do anything to deserve the amount he wants. It would not have been that hard to find someone who cold play around that level for far less money.

Now he has shown he can be a playmaker, and deserving of being payed rather well. He has now shown that he is worth spending that little bit extra to keep.

You don't overpay a player who is good some of the time, it can get you in cap trouble very easily.

And as stated many time before, no one is saying to let him walk, they are just saying that because of how he was playing, don't overpay for the guy. But in the past couple weeks, he has become the playmaker that is deserving of what he is looking at getting payed.

863345[/snapback]

Right. You can find CB's who can consistantly shutdown big game WR's consistantly like Clements has done. :(

Everytime I hear other fan talk they speak of how they "need a CB", "need secondary" , their teams "pass defense sucks" ... we finally have a darn good one and were willing to let him go.

We will have one thing working in our favor, Asante Samuel. He is having a career year and he is younger than Nate. If Asante (who is younger) takes less to go back to the Pats Nates market value should decline slightly.

We will have one thing working in our favor, Asante Samuel. He is having a career year and he is younger than Nate. If Asante (who is younger) takes less to go back to the Pats Nates market value should decline slightly.

863413[/snapback]

Not as long as there are Dan Snyders out in the world. I was just talking to a redskin fan this weekend, about how come the 1st day of FA, Dan Snyder is going to have to send out three planes to Buffalo, Chicago and Indy to pick up Nate Clements, Lance Briggs and Dwight Freeney to sign all three to lucrative contracts and how no one can stop him from doing that.

So now we are going to let him go to another team because we dont want to potentially "overpay" a GOOD player ALL the time and who is a PLAYMAKER some of the time? That is the type of thinking that has gotten us to no playoffs in the past 6 years. We need to stop getting rid of players because we dont want to overpay them. Think Pat Williams, Ted Washington, Antoine Winfield, Sam Cowart ... etc

863281[/snapback]

But were any of those guys bad decisions? Excluding Antoine Winfield, each of those guys' performance went down a level around when they left Buffalo. Donahoe cut ties with those guys just in time, in my view. Especially Sam Adams, Teddy and Cowart. These players didn't prove to be worth the contracts that we would've had to show them in order to keep them around.

I would expect we'll slap the 'non-exclusive' franchise tag on Clements, allowing him to test the market but still allowing the Bills to match any offers or receive 2 first round picks - or the 'transition' tag, which still allows us to match any offer w/in 7 days.

I fully expect Nate to be a Buffalo Bill next season and beyond - well into the imminent Bills' dynasty that will be known as Levy Era II.

863345[/snapback]

Granted i agree with a lot of what you have to say in terms of Nate's performance early in the season and his pay, but daquix was right. I don't think we can lose Clements and say that this team is better off or even as good if he is gone.

Granted i agree with a lot of what you have to say in terms of Nate's performance early in the season and his pay, but daquix was right. I don't think we can lose Clements and say that this team is better off or even as good if he is gone.

863891[/snapback]

Start of the season, we probably could have found a cheaper alternative, now, yes he is right, we won't find a cheap replacement and the team will be worse without him. Now, after he has shown he is a playmaker again.

Hopefully if he gets re-signed he keeps this up instead of going back to his pre bye week play after getting payed