Guess Who Has Two Mommies?

Actually, her newborn child will only have one parent, according to VA law.

Mary Cheney and her partner (of 15 years) Heather Poe live in Virginia, a state which has the most restrictive, anti-gay marriage laws in the nation. VA prohibits same-sex marriage, same-sex civil unions and same-sex domestic partnerships, will not recognize any of those relationships from another state, and any legal priviledges afforded by such arrangements are not recognized. So, according to VA law, Heather Poe has absolutely no legal connection to this child and has no legal standing with regard to Mary Cheney.

But, you know, it's all about family values and protecting the sanctity of marriage with the anti-gay marriage crowd.

Actually, her newborn child will only have one parent, according to VA law.

Mary Cheney and her partner (of 15 years) Heather Poe live in Virginia, a state which has the most restrictive, anti-gay marriage laws in the nation.  VA prohibits same-sex marriage, same-sex civil unions and same-sex domestic partnerships, will not recognize any of those relationships from another state, and any legal priviledges afforded by such arrangements are not recognized.  So, according to VA law, Heather Poe has absolutely no legal connection to this child and has no legal standing with regard to Mary Cheney.

But, you know, it's all about family values and protecting the sanctity of marriage with the anti-gay marriage crowd.

859638[/snapback]

I've rarely seen such a concise and damning portrait of the state of the law on this issue. Well done.

Mary Cheney and her partner (of 15 years) Heather Poe live in Virginia, a state which has the most restrictive, anti-gay marriage laws in the nation. VA prohibits same-sex marriage, same-sex civil unions and same-sex domestic partnerships, will not recognize any of those relationships from another state, and any legal priviledges afforded by such arrangements are not recognized. So, according to VA law, Heather Poe has absolutely no legal connection to this child and has no legal standing with regard to Mary Cheney.

Has the "bold" ever been challenged? Seems to me that may not hold up due to full faith and credit.

Funny....the ONLY people I hear "wringing their hands" over this and keep mentioning her sexuality are those tolerant, progressive, enlightened liberals.

OTOH, all accounts are that Mary Cheney is an accepted, loved member of the Cheney family. Its the left that keep saying all the "horrible" things Cheney will now have to endure. Ya know...disparaging comments like ".... I love you and I just want you to be happy.", which is what Dick Cheney said when she initally came out to him.

Funny....the ONLY people I hear "wringing their hands" over this and keep mentioning her sexuality are those tolerant, progressive, enlightened liberals.

OTOH, all accounts are that Mary Cheney is an accepted, loved member of the Cheney family. Its the left that keep saying all the "horrible" things Cheney will now have to endure. Ya know...disparaging comments like ".... I love you and I just want you to be happy.", which is what Dick Cheney said when she initally came out to him.

860212[/snapback]

If you were a parent of an adopted child, or your spouse was pregnant via a donor and something happens to your wife (God forbid, of course), you have certain legal rights as a parent with respect to that child. As a gay couple living in VA, Mary Cheney's partner, Heather Poe, has no rights with respect to their child.

This isn't about Mary Cheney being accepted by the other Cheneys. It's about Heather Poe, or any other same-sex partner in VA being recognised, legally, as a parent, and being given the same rights that a spouse/partner in a heterosexual marriage enjoys. The fact that it is Mary Cheney is not the issue.

Has the "bold" ever been challenged?  Seems to me that may not hold up due to full faith and credit.

860013[/snapback]

Not sure if it's been challenged. Here are the statutes and the amendment for reference. I don't see how this (the amendment, third link) won't be challenged at some point.

A 1975 VA statute prohibits same-sex marriage. In 1997 a sentence was added to the statute to prevent recognition of same-sex marriages from another state(Code of Virginia § 20-45.2).

A marriage between persons of the same sex is prohibited. Any marriage entered into by persons of the same sex in another state or jurisdiction shall be void in all respects in Virginia and any contractual rights created by such marriage shall be void and unenforceable.

In 2004 they added a ban of same-sex civil unions and partnerships or "other arrangement(s)"(Code of Virginia § 20-45.3.

A civil union, partnership contract or other arrangement between persons of the same sex purporting to bestow the privileges or obligations of marriage is prohibited. Any such civil union, partnership contract or other arrangement entered into by persons of the same sex in another state or jurisdiction shall be void in all respects in Virginia and any contractual rights created thereby shall be void and unenforceable.

They passed the constitutional amendment this past election. (Article I. Bill of Rights. Section 15-A. Marriage. [pdf])

That only a union between one man and one woman may be a marriage valid in or recognized by this Commonwealth and its political subdivisions.

This Commonwealth and its political subdivisions shall not create or recognize a legal status for relationships of unmarried individuals that intends to approximate the design, qualities, significance, or effects of marriage. Nor shall this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions create or recognize another union, partnership, or other legal status to which is assigned the rights, benefits, obligations, qualities, or effects of marriage.

If you were a parent of an adopted child, or your spouse was pregnant via a donor and something happens to your wife (God forbid, of course), you have certain legal rights as a parent with respect to that child.  As a gay couple living in VA, Mary Cheney's partner, Heather Poe, has no rights with respect to their child.

860222[/snapback]

Just curious; wasn't the statute added to the law by the very people who were put into office by the voters of Virginia? It sounds to me like the majority of the Virginia voters are getting exactly what they asked for. So if a Virginian doesn't like the law, shouldn't they either run for office, move to a more liberal state, make an effort to oust the officials who voted for these laws, or STFU?

Just curious; wasn't the statute added to the law by the very people who were put into office by the voters of Virginia? It sounds to me like the majority of the Virginia voters are getting exactly what they asked for. So if a Virginian doesn't like the law, shouldn't they either run for office, move to a more liberal state, make an effort to oust the officials who voted for these laws, or STFU?

860259[/snapback]

We tried, but sadly, apparently over half of the state is retarded...

860212[/snapback]

Perhaps it might help if you were better informed before you post. Several Conservative groups have come out and called this a very bad thing. I would also conjecture that the Conservatives would be crawling out of the woodwork had this been John Kerry's daughter.

Not that I really give a !@#$ one way or another, but gay marriage was overwhelming shot down this past election.

860300[/snapback]

Not realy. Arizona voters rejected an anti-gay marriage amendment, and in the other 7 states that did pass an amendment, the numbers of voters that voted against the amendments have risen considerably. More pro-gay marriage and openly gay members of the federal, state, and local governments have been elected in this election than in previous ones. Many of the most vocal anti-gay incumbents were defeated. The Dems, who are more favorable overall in their stance towards equal rights have control of both the Senate and the House. It would be impossible to get rid of hate overnight, or in a single election cycle. But, with more countries allowing gay marriage, and a newer generation that seems to be more aware of, and tolerant of gay people, the hate will eventually be struck down.

Not realy. Arizona voters rejected an anti-gay marriage amendment, and in the other 7 states that did pass an amendment, the numbers of voters that voted against the amendments have risen considerably.  More pro-gay marriage and openly gay members of the federal, state, and local governments have been elected in this election than in previous ones.  Many of the most vocal anti-gay incumbents were defeated.  The Dems, who are more favorable overall in their stance towards equal rights have control of both the Senate and the House.  It would be impossible to get rid of hate overnight, or in a single election cycle.  But, with more countries allowing gay marriage, and a newer generation that seems to be more aware of, and tolerant of gay people, the hate will eventually be struck down.

860314[/snapback]

The problem was, all you heard about was "gays this, gays that". No one seemed to mention that the same law to ban the evil sodomites would also affect those of us who are living in sin in a hetero relationship. You think the American Sheeple bothered to realize this?

This isn't about Mary Cheney being accepted by the other Cheneys.  It's about Heather Poe, or any other same-sex partner in VA being recognised, legally, as a parent, and being given the same rights that a spouse/partner in a heterosexual marriage enjoys.  The fact that it is Mary Cheney is not the issue.

860222[/snapback]

I don't know about those people who do accuse the Cheneys of whatever; it's pure crap. They love their daughter, they quite evidently accept her sexuality. But the fact remains that they are in a party that as a whole, does not accept it and they choose to 'graciously abstain' from commenting on the issue of how to codify homosexuality and its trappings in the law.

860259[/snapback]

I believe this was the same argument made in the pre-Emancipation South, pre- women's sufferage, and anything else where a certain segment of the population wants to deny people of their rights and dignity. 'Well, if you move to X, you can have your rights' does not cut it. Civil unions are a great compromise; it's worked in VT and it's done as an issue, no more bally-hoo about it. Bush even said he supported CU's during the campaign. This whole issue continues in the undead only b/c people on both sides see it as one they use to motivate their 'base' to the polls so they can get elected or pass other crap.

I believe this was the same argument made in the pre-Emancipation South, pre- women's sufferage, and anything else where a certain segment of the population wants to deny people of their rights and dignity.

860802[/snapback]

This isn't an argument. It's a fact. The elected officials who put these laws into place were put into office by the people of Virginia so they would do the bidding of the majority of the state's residents. The majority rules. It's just that simple. Personally I think the laws are a crock of schitt, but this is clearly what a majority of Virginia wanted. If it is not, then they need to replace their elected officials with people who have opposing views.