You Don't Need a Gun

Over the past three years he had been charged with 38 offenses including unlawful weapon possession, domestic assault and drug possession, Aaron said.

This final sentence is the thing that scares the bejeezus out of me too. Whyever are they letting these types walk? I have relatives who work in the courts and they say it's un-bleeping-believable at what happens in the system. Unlawful possession of a firearm has a FIVE-YEAR MANDATORY sentence. That's federal, isn't it? What is this %^&* doing out in three!??!

So, another choirboy who won't be in church on Sunday. Let's all say an Our Father for him.... Maybe that's how he got out, he "found God," yeah? There's one parole-granting excuse that oughtta be nixed pronto.

Yeah Mike, because that's what I was advocating.  <_<

62812[/snapback]

Well what was your point?

I'll take my chances with a baseball bat rather than risk this:

5 year-old accidentally shot, killed by stepfather

By MIKE GLENN

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

A Houston man shot and killed his 5-year-old stepdaughter early Sunday after mistaking her for a burglar in their northeast Houston home, police said.

Agun Ortega Pina, 25, told detectives he reached for his gun about 1 a.m. when he heard suspicious noises inside his house in the 2800 block of Kentucky.

Pina, who has not been charged, fired a single shot when the suspected burglar tried to open the bedroom door where he and his wife had been sleeping.

It was a case of mistaken identity that turned tragic.

The person Pina thought was breaking into his bedroom was actually his stepdaughter, Alejandra Hernandez, who just wanted to be with her parents.

Family friend Max Gutierrez spoke with Pina soon after the little girl was shot.

"He has a broken heart," Gutierrez said. "He told me, 'I can't believe it. I feel bad.'"

Silverio Portillo was staying at the home when Pina fired the round that struck the child in the chest.

"I just woke up and Alejandra was right there on the floor," a still-shaken Portillo said through an interpreter.

Portillo then helped the parents carry their wounded child to the family's van.

"She was alive -- she was breathing," he said.

The child was rushed to LBJ Hospital where she later died. Pina was not charged for the fatal shooting and police said the case instead will be referred to the Harris County Grand Jury.

Hours after the child's death, a group of shocked neighbors gathered across the street from their small, wood-framed home.

They are placing plastic buckets with the girl's picture in area restaurants and businesses to help raise money for the family's expenses.

"It's a nice family. The family was very happy," said Sammy Gomez, who lives next door. "We're all friends here."

Pina often brought his young step-daughter to the park and let her tag along when he had errands to run, Gutierrez said.

Juan Rodriguez, 11, was devastated when his parents told him about his best friend's death.

"She liked to play right here in the street," Rodriguez said. "She was like my little sister. She liked to share everything."

Neighbors backed-up Pina's fears about criminals breaking into homes in the area. He posted several no trespassing signs on the wall of the home and wrapped a web of steel bars around the ground-mounted air conditioner unit. A motion-detection security light mounted over the gravel driveway flashes on, even during the day, when somebody walks by the house.

The girl's parents weren't at home later Sunday and could not be reached for comment. Neighbors said they were staying with other relatives while making funeral arrangements for the girl.

By MIKE GLENN

A Houston man shot and killed his 5-year-old stepdaughter early Sunday after mistaking her for a burglar in their northeast Houston home, police said.

Agun Ortega Pina, 25, told detectives he reached for his gun about 1 a.m. when he heard suspicious noises inside his house in the 2800 block of Kentucky.

Pina, who has not been charged, fired a single shot when the suspected burglar tried to open the bedroom door where he and his wife had been sleeping.

The person Pina thought was breaking into his bedroom was actually his stepdaughter, Alejandra Hernandez, who just wanted to be with her parents.

Family friend Max Gutierrez spoke with Pina soon after the little girl was shot.

"He has a broken heart," Gutierrez said. "He told me, 'I can't believe it. I feel bad.'"

Silverio Portillo was staying at the home when Pina fired the round that struck the child in the chest.

"I just woke up and Alejandra was right there on the floor," a still-shaken Portillo said through an interpreter.

The child was rushed to LBJ Hospital where she later died. Pina was not charged for the fatal shooting and police said the case instead will be referred to the Harris County Grand Jury.

Hours after the child's death, a group of shocked neighbors gathered across the street from their small, wood-framed home.

They are placing plastic buckets with the girl's picture in area restaurants and businesses to help raise money for the family's expenses.

"It's a nice family. The family was very happy," said Sammy Gomez, who lives next door. "We're all friends here."

Pina often brought his young step-daughter to the park and let her tag along when he had errands to run, Gutierrez said.

Juan Rodriguez, 11, was devastated when his parents told him about his best friend's death.

"She liked to play right here in the street," Rodriguez said. "She was like my little sister. She liked to share everything."

Neighbors backed-up Pina's fears about criminals breaking into homes in the area. He posted several no trespassing signs on the wall of the home and wrapped a web of steel bars around the ground-mounted air conditioner unit. A motion-detection security light mounted over the gravel driveway flashes on, even during the day, when somebody walks by the house.

The girl's parents weren't at home later Sunday and could not be reached for comment. Neighbors said they were staying with other relatives while making funeral arrangements for the girl.

62882[/snapback]

Emotion is rarely the right reason to make a decision. Those on the opposite side of the gun debate use its dangerous appeal because it's virtually their only weapon.

The truth of the matter is your child is far more likely to die in your car in an accident involving a drunk driver, drown in your pool, or be fatally injured while riding their bicycle than they are by a gun.

For every story like the one you just posted, there are thousands like the one I did (depending on which set of statistics you believe, there are between 750,000 and 3,000,000 crimes prevented by private citizens using their legally owned guns.).

The point was the justice system is failing us and no matter how many laws the government passes, criminals will find their way to get their hands on guns and will use them to commit crimes against the law abiding. Even when they are caught and charged for 38 different crimes in a 3 year period, they are apparently put back on the streets very quickly.

Good luck with that baseball bat.

Emotion is rarely the right reason to make a decision.  Those on the opposite side of the gun debate use its dangerous appeal because it's virtually their only weapon.

The truth of the matter is your child is far more likely to die in your car in an accident involving a drunk driver, drown in your pool, or be fatally injured while riding their bicycle than they are by a gun.

For every story like the one you just posted, there are thousands like the one I did (depending on which set of statistics you believe, there are between 750,000 and 3,000,000 crimes prevented by private citizens using their legally owned guns.). 

The point was the justice system is failing us and no matter how many laws the government passes, criminals will find their way to get their hands on guns and will use them to commit crimes against the law abiding.  Even when they are caught and charged for 38 different crimes in a 3 year period, they are apparently put back on the streets very quickly.

Good luck with that baseball bat.

62920[/snapback]

although I'm an advocate for gun control, hat a surprise, eh? <_< ) I agree with the basic premise of your post Darin. Like many others who have responded in this thread, I can't understand why somebody with that many offenses in such a short period of time can get out so quickly.....of course the vast majority of theincarcerated in this country are in for drug related offenses. :(

Until we can find a way to move policing from reactionary to preventative, it's never going to change. The simple fact is that the only way to deter crime is through swift and certian punishment. Criminals don't believe their going to be caught therefore, there is no deterrent effect.

It's precisely the reason why capital punishment doesn't work. If we could catch and execute the scum within hours then crime rates would plummet.

Until we can find a way to move policing from reactionary to preventative, it's never going to change.  The simple fact is that the only way to deter crime is through swift and certian punishment.  Criminals don't believe their going to be caught therefore, there is no deterrent effect.

It's precisely the reason why capital punishment doesn't work.  If we could catch and  execute the scum within hours then crime rates would plummet.

62980[/snapback]

Swift capital punishment. Hey Mikey! He likes it! :D

I bet if a president put a question to the US about faster, swifter punishment, PLUS death penalties that were waiting, with no hesitation, at the end of the judicial assembly line...he'd had many more supporters in this country than one might think.

Here's a simple one; anyone sentenced to death must serve out that sentence within six months. Throw in some stricker three strikes laws...

Mike is right. Crime rates would Rosen.

By MIKE GLENN

62882[/snapback]

Someone help me out on this one. The guy fired a shot that struck a five year old in the chest. Where exacly was he aiming? If he was under the impression that it was a grown man on the other side of the door, was he attempting to shoot out his kneecaps??? Something doesn't add up here.

This final sentence is the thing that scares the bejeezus out of me too. Whyever are they letting these types walk? I have relatives who work in the courts and they say it's un-bleeping-believable at what happens in the system. Unlawful possession of a firearm has a FIVE-YEAR MANDATORY sentence. That's federal, isn't it? What is this %^&* doing out in three!??!

So, another choirboy who won't be in church on Sunday. Let's all say an Our Father for him.... Maybe that's how he got out, he "found God," yeah? There's one parole-granting excuse that oughtta be nixed pronto.

62748[/snapback]

Liberal judges, who feel it isn't the criminals fault but really, their parents, church, socity, the system, their teachers, etc... who have failed the individual. They feel these dirtbags should be given a break, 17 times or more. Yet martha Stewart is going to jail for 8 months for lying about 6 thoushand dollars.

Would you apply this principle to geopolitics?

63171[/snapback]

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, could you please elaborate.

As for the "swift capital punishment" statement. It would in fact work as a deterrent but only under one condition it has to be CERTIAN. As long as dirtbags believe they won't be caught, they'll continue to commit these acts.

If you knew for a fact that robbing a liquor store and killing the owner gets you caught and executed in 3 days would you still rob the store. Probably not.

It's all about the swift and certian.