Check out the drama on Buffalo Rising

I thought the debate was interesting and actually well worthy of The Stadium Wall

854042[/snapback]

You're undoubtedly right.

From the article: "Now, if you listen to Wilson, and maybe we should, Buffalo is in danger of losing its football team. Our ticket prices are the lowest in the league and when we fail to sell-out games, the resulting black-outs cost the franchise millions in lost television revenue. Now it also seems likely that the remaining games may not sell out, thus having a string of 5 consecutive games blacked-out. This would be a major." :D

Incomplete sentences are a forte here.

The key is that the stadium needs to be fully utilized to get an ROI.

8 days of full use a year (while Ralph is alive... that is only maybe, when Ralph passes, the is an unlikely)

So what can you fill the stadium with the other 358 days? If a good other than Bills use came up.. the plan is feasible.

But I'm not so sure there are other good draws.

UB football?

Rock Concerts?

Religious revivals?

Gun Shows!

Bisons.

Sabres ha ha

The key is that the stadium needs to be fully utilized to get an ROI.

8 days of full use a year (while Ralph is alive... that is only maybe, when Ralph passes, the is an unlikely)

So what can you fill the stadium with the other 358 days?  If a good other than Bills use came up.. the plan is feasible.

But I'm not so sure there are other good draws.

UB football?

Rock Concerts?

Religious revivals?

Gun Shows!

Bisons.

Sabres ha ha

854063[/snapback]

Don't forget the Cheerleaders.

Once they get paid they'll organize competitions.

Oh, and community yard sales - that could be a great place to have some of those. :D

There are several things the dude is out of touch with. The first thing is that downtown's have given way to suberbia. Nobody wants to go downtown if they can avoid it.

The second is... if you're going to build a stadium, you certainly want to build it in a place where it's economically feasable. WNY does not fit that criteria... economic impotence, declining population, just general high cost of doing business.

The third thing is, the Bills are a regional franchise. There's a huge fan base in the Rochester area and it's been that way for a while. Fan bases have increased in Syracuse, Binghamton, Utica, and Albany. So, if you're going to build a new stadium, it makes sense to drop it somewhere with easy in/out access, like along the Thruway maybe near Lancaster/Depew area. Can you imagine the downtown clusterf*ck of traffic for a Bills game if there were a downtown stadium. Folks in these parts hate having to dump their car someplace and get bussed or railed in too. And, the whole tailgating thing would be history if the stadium were downtown... open fires burning in the city? They won't let that happen.

The 4th thing is, if the project, let's say, costs $800M. If it's a public project, it will grow to 2.5 billion becuase of all of the polical wrangling and corruption, not to mention the wicks law that states you must use 3 separate contracors for heating, plumbing and electrical work. Just the bid process alone would take a couple of years.

New stadium? Not in Ralph's lifetime, I'd suspect. Unless the NFL wants to pony up. And, if they did, wouldn't it be wonderful if the naming rights were sold to Time-Warner? Time-Warner Stadium?

From the article: "Now, if you listen to Wilson, and maybe we should, Buffalo is in danger of losing its football team. Our ticket prices are the lowest in the league and when we fail to sell-out games, the resulting black-outs cost the franchise millions in lost television revenue. Now it also seems likely that the remaining games may not sell out, thus having a string of 5 consecutive games blacked-out. This would be a major."  :D

Incomplete sentences are a forte here.

854049[/snapback]

If that was true. Why wouldn't the Bills "donate" the tickets?

The Bills get their TV money before the season even starts so that sounds like a bunch of bullsh--. The Bills get paid if the game is on or not.

There are several things the dude is out of touch with.  The first thing is that downtown's have given way to suberbia.  Nobody wants to go downtown if they can avoid it. 

The second is... if you're going to build a stadium, you certainly want to build it in a place where it's economically feasable.  WNY does not fit that criteria... economic impotence, declining population, just general high cost of doing business. 

The third thing is, the Bills are a regional franchise.  There's a huge fan base in the Rochester area and it's been that way for a while.  Fan bases have increased in Syracuse, Binghamton, Utica, and Albany.  So, if you're going to build a new stadium, it makes sense to drop it somewhere with easy in/out access, like along the Thruway maybe near Lancaster/Depew area. Can you imagine the downtown clusterf*ck of traffic for a Bills game if there were a downtown stadium.  Folks in these parts hate having to dump their car someplace and get bussed or railed in too.  And, the whole tailgating thing would be history if the stadium were downtown... open fires burning in the city? They won't let that happen. 

The 4th thing is, if the project, let's say, costs $800M. If it's a public project, it will grow to 2.5 billion becuase of all of the polical wrangling and corruption, not to mention the wicks law that states you must use 3 separate contracors for heating, plumbing and electrical work.  Just the bid process alone would take a couple of years.

New stadium? Not in Ralph's lifetime, I'd suspect.  Unless the NFL wants to pony up.  And, if they did, wouldn't it be wonderful if the naming rights were sold to Time-Warner?  Time-Warner Stadium?

854103[/snapback]

New Stadium? It will never happen. This county can't afford the stadium the Bills have now. The County and City are being run by "Control Boards". We are facing the closing of hospitals and the city workers haven't had a raise in years.

There may be a new stadium in the Bills future. It won't be in WNY. There is zero public dollars to waste on such a project. All the money this area has needs to go to educating and employing it's citizens. Not building another cash machine for a billionaire.

New Stadium? It will never happen. This county can't afford the stadium the Bills have now. The County and City are being run by "Control Boards". We are facing the closing of hospitals and the city workers haven't had a raise in years.

There may be a new stadium in the Bills future. It won't be in WNY. There is zero public dollars to waste on such a project. All the money this area has needs to go to educating and employing it's citizens. Not building another cash machine for a billionaire.

854106[/snapback]

Last time I checked, the new Governor was beholden to the unions, and that spells a large dose of feeding at the publicly financed feed lot.... Throw in a little chucky, and a little hillary, you have one massive pigout, the likes of which have never been imagined.... :D

A well written article. Buffalo needs the Bills. Look no father than Cleveland to see what happens when a new stadium deal gets negleted.

If I was king for a day:

1. I'd built the stadium in Buffalo near the HSBC and baseball stadium.

2. make it hold 65,000

3. natural grass

4. retractable roof

5. have the sabres play an outdoor game in january/february

We can say there is no money, but trust me. If the Bills threaten to leave, the money will come.

If that was true. Why wouldn't the Bills "donate" the tickets?

The Bills get their TV money before the season even starts so that sounds like a bunch of bullsh--. The Bills get paid if the game is on or not.

854104[/snapback]

or better yet, if the Bills organization is going to lose MILLIONS in TV revenue, why not spend THOUSANDS to buy up the remaining tickets, insuring that the game will be broadcast. assuming ofcoruse, that that is legal.

From the article: "Now, if you listen to Wilson, and maybe we should, Buffalo is in danger of losing its football team. Our ticket prices are the lowest in the league and when we fail to sell-out games, the resulting black-outs cost the franchise millions in lost television revenue. Now it also seems likely that the remaining games may not sell out, thus having a string of 5 consecutive games blacked-out.

854049[/snapback]

Plus, the writer of this little piece of brilliance hasn't a clue of the difference between home and away games. They must think that we will be punished for not selling out with a blackout of the NYJ and Ravens games.

That's a great plan.  Who's going to pay for it?  :D

854192[/snapback]

The grandchildren of everyone living in NY now. All I can say is I'm glad I no longer live in NY. It will happen and they will hoodwink the voters with some bond measure that will insure that NYers pay the highest taxes in the country for the next 30 years.