Here you go...

BoondckCL

Here's a new one...

In a night class that i am taking, Career Planning and Development, we were reading an article about George O'Leary as something to never do in the job market. For those of you that don't know, it is lying on your resume.

Now it just so happens that my last name happens to be Leary, so after reading the article, it turn to the entire class and say, "This guy is a disgrace to anybody with the last name of anything resembling 'Leary', damn liar". Simple enough, correct? Professor turns to me (professor's name is Mary Hall, obviously of some kind of British lineage) and says, "What else would you expect? He is Irish". I try to play it off as a joke as i usually do about Irish jokes, and she turns to me with a serious look and simply says, "I wasn't kidding".

Is that horse sh-- or is it just me? You are going to say to someone with an Irish last name, that all Irish people are liars? Are you really that stupid? So she has officially been labeled as an anti-Celctite in my book, and i probably should have gotten up and slapped her in the face a few times.

I guess the only thing to really do.... :)

People who openly put their prejudice on display in public have no clue....

I would have told her to blow me.

853378[/snapback]

As a professor myself, I can say that what she said was completely inappropriate. I would send her a polite e-mail indicating that you found her comments personally offensive. If she doesn't send you an apology or explanation, I would consider a report to her Dean. Professors have complete freedom in their classrooms, and they can sometimes abuse that freedom--for which reason they need people like you to call them on it.

As a professor myself, I can say that what she said was completely inappropriate.  I would send her a polite e-mail indicating that you found her comments personally offensive.  If she doesn't send you an apology or explanation, I would consider a report to her Dean.  Professors have complete freedom in their classrooms, and they can sometimes abuse that freedom--for which reason they need people like you to call them on it.

853383[/snapback]

Can you say more about the complete freedom part? Surely the institution won't tolerate bigotry, prejudice and hateful stereotyping, right? If Fuzzy Zoeller had said what he did about the African American cuisine, are you saying nothing would have happened to him?

Can you say more about the complete freedom part? Surely the institution won't tolerate bigotry, prejudice and hateful stereotyping, right? If Fuzzy Zoeller had said what he did about the African American cuisine, are you saying nothing would have happened to him?

853385[/snapback]

Fuzzy Zoeller? That Muppet bear? :);):beer:

You realize those guys can't really talk right? He's a puppet. Oh my God!

Here's a new one...

In a night class that i am taking, Career Planning and Development, we were reading an article about George O'Leary as something to never do in the job market. For those of you that don't know, it is lying on your resume.

Now it just so happens that my last name happens to be Leary, so after reading the article, it turn to the entire class and say, "This guy is a disgrace to anybody with the last name of anything resembling 'Leary', damn liar". Simple enough, correct? Professor turns to me (professor's name is Mary Hall, obviously of some kind of British lineage) and says, "What else would you expect? He is Irish". I try to play it off as a joke as i usually do about Irish jokes, and she turns to me with a serious look and simply says, "I wasn't kidding".

Is that horse sh-- or is it just me? You are going to say to someone with an Irish last name, that all Irish people are liars? Are you really that stupid? So she has officially been labeled as an anti-Celctite in my book, and i probably should have gotten up and slapped her in the face a few times.

853368[/snapback]

Most colleges have mailrooms right? The professors have mail slots right?

I think you know what to do. Smash that thing.

How do the Phlegm look in hoops this year?

Here's a new one...

853368[/snapback]

Stop lying! This story sounds made up. Typical Irishman!

Here's a new one...

853368[/snapback]

I think you should contact Gloria Allred, and have her sue the school and the teacher.

You'll be on the "Today Show" withing days. Hell, maybe even David Letterman's show!!

Cha-Ching!! Money in the bank!!! ;)

I think you should contact Gloria Allred, and have her sue the school and the teacher.

You'll be on the "Today Show" withing days. Hell, maybe even David Letterman's show!!

Cha-Ching!! Money in the bank!!! :D

853508[/snapback]

Correction...She will be on the Letterman show apologizing for her comments.

But i agree with aj, what says that professors have "total freedom" in the classroom during lecture. I understand that they take more liberties than high school teachers and all those teachers in the public school system, but where do you draw the line?

Correction...She will be on the Letterman show apologizing for her comments.

853691[/snapback]

And then she'll make the Apology Tour by going on the radio shows of all the Irish leaders, like...like..

Hey, who are the Irish leaders in this country? Do you have an Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson like guy? Maybe the Lucky Charms dude or something?

And then she'll make the Apology Tour by going on the radio shows of all the Irish leaders, like...like..

Hey, who are the Irish leaders in this country? Do you have an Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson like guy? Maybe the Lucky Charms dude or something?

853745[/snapback]

We don't have leaders. Any potential leaders we have are drunk in a bar somewhere talking about the home land and starting fights with anyone who wishes to scuffle and bare knuckle box.

We do have the IRA, we could get them involved. But then things wouldn't be all that great.

853385[/snapback]

Believe it or not, the tenure system makes it difficult, if not impossible, for a university to fire a professor for remarks said in a classroom. What sometimes happens is they fire him (or her), he or she sues, and he or she wins a nice big chunk of money. The college or university doesn't care, because at least they get rid of the bad PR caused by the professor in question.

While the tenure system is supposed to preserve a space in our society where the truth can be pursued and taught without concern for what is popular, or for losing one's job, it is often abused by licentious, lazy, and arrogant professors.

Believe it or not, the tenure system makes it difficult, if not impossible, for a university to fire a professor for remarks said in a classroom.  What sometimes happens is they fire him (or her), he or she sues, and he or she wins a nice big chunk of money.  The college or university doesn't care, because at least they get rid of the bad PR caused by the professor in question.

While the tenure system is supposed to preserve a space in our society where the truth can be pursued and taught without concern for what is popular, or for losing one's job, it is often abused by licentious, lazy, and arrogant professors.

853877[/snapback]

wow, that's pretty interesting....I'd like to read more about that, actually. I know I've heard about these issues from time to time, but I never realized that they had a sort of "protection" due to the tenure system.

If she's your professor, she must know your last name.

Sounds to me like she's calling you out - in your face - as a liar.

You hot for teacher, or she hot for you?

Maybe she wants to pull off those horn-rimmed glasses, undo her tied-up bun, hike up her skirt and begin grinding those spiked black heels on the desktop while kicking papers and knocking books to he ground as you turn into a pile of drool in front of her as she slowly unbuttons her blouse.

Hey, it could happen. There's a lot of that going round.

If she's your professor, she must know your last name.

Sounds to me like she's calling you out - in your face - as a liar.

You hot for teacher, or she hot for you?

Maybe she wants to pull off those horn-rimmed glasses, undo her tied-up bun, hike up her skirt and begin grinding those spiked black heels on the desktop while kicking papers and knocking books to he ground as you turn into a pile of drool in front of her as she slowly unbuttons her blouse.

Hey, it could happen. There's a lot of that going round.

854079[/snapback]

He's to old. They're going for the 13-15 year olds now.