Teague to start at left tackle next year

freester

I hope not.

Teague wasn't that great a tackle in Denver, which is why they made no effort to re-sign him and he came to Buffalo.  What we need is an infusion of talent, not a juggling of our lack of talent.

61592[/snapback]

no cap room for talent infusion and no first round pick. Losman will make the line look better.

I hope not.

Teague wasn't that great a tackle in Denver, which is why they made no effort to re-sign him and he came to Buffalo.  What we need is an infusion of talent, not a juggling of our lack of talent.

61592[/snapback]

I'll second that. While he may be serviceable, I'm growing tired of serviceable. It would nice to see some talent. Jennings is talented, albeit far to injury prone for my tastes. I still would hate to see him leave though.

I think this is likely.  No way is jonas back.  If tucker can play decent at center, this is a likely scenario.

61581[/snapback]

This was one of the main reasons they extended Teague's contract even though he had not really distinguished himself at center.

no cap room for talent infusion and no first round pick.  Losman will make the line look better.

61815[/snapback]

That remains to be seen.

We don't need to sign a bunch of high priced free agents. Look at New England. They had the 23rd highest, or should I say lowest, payroll in the league last year. More than big contract players, we need big time players under contract.

That remains to be seen.

We don't need to sign a bunch of high priced free agents.  Look at New England.  They had the 23rd highest, or should I say lowest,  payroll in the league last year.  More than big contract players, we need big time players under contract.

61831[/snapback]

I believe that OL play is 60% player attitude and 40% natural talent, or something like that. Certainly, many exceptions exist, but I like to think that a player with "lesser" skills can often be the superior player if the realization that offensive line play is the sports world's equivalent of a symphony orchestra takes hold.

I believe that OL play is 60% player attitude and 40% natural talent, or something like that. Certainly, many exceptions exist, but I like to think that a player with "lesser" skills can often be the superior player if the realization that offensive line play is the sports world's equivalent of a symphony orchestra takes hold.

61857[/snapback]

Technique on the Oline is a huge part of it, so it football intelligence (being able to recognize what the D is doing), at least in the passing game. In the run game I'll give you that attitude the most important thing.

I think this is likely.  No way is jonas back.  If tucker can play decent at center, this is a likely scenario.

61581[/snapback]

I thought Teague has played rather well through the first three games. The Jags and Raiders are huge up the middle, and he held his own. He seemed to be doing well last week before he was injured.

He gets my vote for most improved OL, I wouldn't move him.

I thought Teague has played rather well through the first three games.  The Jags and Raiders are huge up the middle, and he held his own.  He seemed to be doing well last week before he was injured.

He gets my vote for most improved OL, I wouldn't move him.

61948[/snapback]

So far, he's the best of what we have, which isn't much.

I wonder if Jason Peters works hard enough to enter into the mix at tackle next year. It doesn't have to be LT, and he was supposedly the next best prospect after Gallery. We've all heard he is not very smart, but maybe we get lucky. It's so hard to get quality Olinemen without paying serious cash, you have to hope for a diamond in the rough or two to field a good line these days.

The O-line is actually playing fairly well and Losman will automatically make the line better. Remeber the awful O-line with RJ instantly became an O-line giving up one of the fewest sacks in the league once Flutie was in there. The Oline is not bad. They plowed over the Dline of the Pats. Two sacks given up prior to the flubbed 4th down play. One was a blitzing LB unblocked and the other Bledsoe tripping over an Olineman's shoe. Plus M Williams had Ty Warren for lunch--battle of the 1st round picks and MW won that one so that was good to see.

The O-line is actually playing fairly well and Losman will automatically make the line better.  Remeber the awful O-line with RJ instantly became an O-line giving up one of the fewest sacks in the league once Flutie was in there.  The Oline is not bad.  They plowed over the Dline of the Pats.  Two sacks given up prior to the flubbed 4th down play.  One was a blitzing LB unblocked and the other Bledsoe tripping over an Olineman's shoe.  Plus M Williams had Ty Warren for lunch--battle of the 1st round picks and MW won that one so that was good to see.

62395[/snapback]

Debatable whether Losman's agility makes the line "better", or merely covers up some of their faults. Only 27 sacks given up in 1999 (the year DF played all but the last game), but there were 97 rushing attempts by Bills QBs, and Bills RBs only averaged 3.6 ypc that season. Everyone thought the line was better, but it was only because Flutie was more adept at getting away......

Back to this year. I'd agree, the O-line has been taking some unwarranted flak. They certainly aren't the Hogs or the '67 Packers, but they could use a little help from RBs/TEs not blowing their blitz pickups, too. And we're well aware that Drew doesn't have Doug's wheels. The Bills might be giving up 5 sacks/game, but the line certainly isn't to blame for all of them...

Considering that any chance of developing cohesiveness in camp/preseason was sabotaged by the Williams situation, I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll get better, not worse, as the season goes on.

Optimistic, or maybe just hopeful.

I wonder if Jason Peters works hard enough to enter into the mix at tackle next year. It doesn't have to be LT, and he was supposedly the next best prospect after Gallery. We've all heard he is not very smart, but maybe we get lucky. It's so hard to get quality Olinemen without paying serious cash, you have to hope for a diamond in the rough or two to field a good line these days.

62070[/snapback]

Next best prospect after Gallery? What are you smoking?

He was undrafted, cut & signed to the practice squad as a TE/OT.

Sometimes I think half this board was screaming to take the guy at pick 13 when we took Evans.

Peters chances of ever starting an NFL game are in the under 5% range. Are you his brother, or just the guy who lives next door to him?

I didn't scout him personally Albany, but a couple "draft guides" did write that about him. I don't remember which ones they were, but I did read it in a report or two. One was from Bills Daily I think if you feel like looking it up. Anyways, I only meant you have to get a little lucky there days to field a good line and Peters would definitly fit the "look what I found" profile. You can't pay all 5 linemen 5 million plus per year, you gotta hope for a few surprises here or there. I was never on the "next Eric Green" bandwagon anyways.

I didn't scout him personally Albany, but a couple "draft guides" did write that about him. I don't remember which ones they were, but I did read it in a report or two. One was from Bills Daily I think if you feel like looking it up. Anyways, I only meant you have to get a little lucky there days to field a good line and Peters would definitly fit the "look what I found" profile. You can't pay all 5 linemen 5 million plus per year, you gotta hope for a few surprises here or there. I was never on the "next Eric Green" bandwagon anyways.

62744[/snapback]

Here's what I found in my draft guides:

PFW/Nawrocki had him rated 5.30, which is the equivqlent of a 5th rounder. He was ranked 7th-8th (tie) best TE, 8 OTs had a higher # rating. His overall rank in the draft was 149, Gallery was #1 @ 7.00

Draft Insiders Digest rated him as an 82 which is a 3rd round tag, the 9th rated TE, Gallery was a 94 and there were 4 OT higher than 82. 8 total OL higher than 82.

Mel Kiper had him 8.0, 2-4th rounder, mock draft had him player 122 in 4th round.

He rated him #7 TE, There were 8 OT rated above 8.0. Gallery was @ 9.5.

I think a lot of posters fell in love with the idea of getting a projected 3rd-5th rounder as a free agent. That caused him to be overrated around here. Personally I had him as a bust, concluding: Jason Peters is getting too big to be anything other than a guy who fails at TE and the team tries to switch him to OL. He also has a questionable attitude that you don’t want with a guy whom you’ll be trying to change positions on.