Get Off The Wall...

Spun

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20061126/1013886.asp

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/aislin/1122.html

Fans want O.J. off Wall of Fame

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Petition to remove Simpson's name from stadium sparks debate

By STEPHEN T. WATSON

News Staff Reporter

11/26/2006

Bill Wippert/Buffalo News

O.J. Simpson's latest turn in the public eye has prompted some fans to call for the removal of his name from the Wall of Fame at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

O.J. Simpson was the first Buffalo Bills player to be honored with his name inscribed on the Wall of Fame at Ralph Wilson Stadium. That was in 1980.

Simpson's name has stayed on the wall for 26 years - through his 1994 murder arrest, his acquittal in a highly publicized criminal trial and the civil court conviction that followed.

But reports of his widely reviled book deal and TV interview are again generating calls from fans to remove the star running back's name from the stadium wall.

"When Buffalo makes the national spotlight, it's for something bad. Let's do something good for a change," said Jeff Brzyski, who started an online petition that urges the Bills to remove Simpson's name.

Brzyski's petition has collected more than 1,700 signatures demanding that Simpson's name come down because its presence disgraces the city and the team.

Hundreds more fans are passionately debating the topic on the official Bills Web site and other Internet forums, while local sports commentators also have taken up the issue.

"He's a disgrace and a killer, and I believe he got away with murder," said Lisa Brusehaber, a receptionist from Orchard Park who signed the petition with her husband, Tom.

But Bills owner Ralph Wilson Jr. has said he has no intention of taking Simpson's name off the wall.

"We put [simpson] up there for football," Wilson told Buffalo News columnist Jerry Sullivan last week. "I feel the same way about him as you and most people do. But it's up there. Why start more controversy?"

No one is disputing that Simpson's performance on the field merits a place on the wall. A fast and powerful runner, Simpson was one of the best Bills ever and one of the top running backs in league history.

He was selected for the wall in 1980 by the local sports journalists who make up the Wall of Fame selection committee.

But Simpson largely became a pariah after he was arrested in June 1994 and accused of killing his former wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald Goldman.

"He was one of the most-liked characters in Bills history, right up to that day," said Dan Gestwick, a vice president of the Monday Quarterback Club.

In the days after Simpson's arrest, some Bills fans called for the team to take down his name from the wall, but Wilson rejected their demands.

Simpson also is enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Hall officials say there is no provision for booting an inductee.

Rather than lying low, Simpson has remained in the public eye.

He's even attended three Bills games in the last few years.

"When people saw me they were like, "Hey Juice,' " Simpson told The News in October 2004. "It was very nice, a very good feeling. Everywhere I go, the reception is great."

And now Brzyski is moving ahead with his petition, located at www.petitiononline.com/thejuice/petition.html. As of Saturday afternoon, it carried 1,762 signatures.

Brzyski said he set up the petition in disgust following news about the book deal for "If I Did It," with publisher HarperCollins.

"He's bringing it up all over again," said Brzyski, 26, a construction project manager from the City of Tonawanda.

The petition has some fake names. It's doubtful that Miami Dolphins head coach Nick Saban, incarcerated former Carolina Panther Rae Carruth or Simpson himself signed it.

But many signers gave their own names while speaking in unvarnished terms.

Signer Roger Stornelli told The News he hasn't watched a Bills game since Simpson's arrest.

"I won't go to a Bills game until they take the sign down. It's sickening," said the corrections officer from Lockport. "You've got to take a stand in life, and my stand is this."

A passionate debate over keeping Simpson's name on the Bills Wall of Fame has bubbled up on local TV broadcasts, on talk radio and on Internet forums. This topic drew 190 comments on the message board on the official Bills Web site alone.

WGR 550 Sports Radio's Chris "Bulldog" Parker said that for years he tried to cling to the notion that the wall recognizes football achievements and has nothing to do with off-the-field actions.

"It's almost uncomfortable. I got his autograph when I was 7 years old. He was my first sports hero. You don't want to think about it. You want to compartmentalize it," Parker said.

Now, he said he thinks this community should make a statement that character matters more than athletic ability.

But some fans believe Simpson's name should stay.

"Yes, because that's for football accomplishments. It's not for what kind of man he is," said Kenneth Thrun, a Buffalo resident and Bills fan. Thrun sent Simpson a letter of support after his arrest that later was reprinted in a book.

Simpson's supporters include former teammate Booker Edgerson, an Erie Community College official who keeps in touch with Simpson.

"I think it should stay on there. There's no ifs, ands or buts about it. The accomplishments he had on the field [are] something you can't take away," said Edgerson, who noted Simpson was found not guilty.

Wilson has given no indication he'll change his mind on Simpson any time soon.

"At my age, I have more important things to worry about," Wilson, 87, told Sullivan.

Bills spokesman Scott Berchtold declined to comment further, except to note that any formal effort to take a name off the wall would require entering "uncharted territory."

e-mail: swatson@buffnews.com

This is rediculous...Some people need to separate his playing career with his personal life....

As a person, he can rot in hell for all I care.

As a player, he is one of the most gifted RB's ever to put on a uniform, and he deserves every bit of his name on that wall of fame. There should be no removing it, and there should be no other Bill to wear the number 32. Ever.

This is rediculous...Some people need to separate his playing career with his personal life....

As a player, he is one of the most gifted RB's ever to put on a uniform, and he deserves every bit of his name on that wall of fame.  There should be no removing it, and there should be no other Bill to wear the number 32.  Ever.

850466[/snapback]

You weren't born until 1982. Your opinion on this subject doesn't count. :D

As a player, he is one of the most gifted RB's ever to put on a uniform, and he deserves every bit of his name on that wall of fame.  There should be no removing it, and there should be no other Bill to wear the number 32.  Ever.

850466[/snapback]

Here's where I disagree. OJ's football statistics speak for themselves, and are there for all to see. They can't be taken away. "Glamorizing" the man by giving him immortality on a wall is another matter. The person as a whole should be considered.

Seriously -- if Jeffrey Dahlmer played great QB for ten years, but then went and hacked up a bunch of people and buried them in his yard and kept them in his freezer, are we even having this discussion?

OJ didn't commit tax fraud or drive drunk; he is a murderer with some football records. He was fun to watch, but I don't need to be reminded of the man when I look around RWS.

I have signed several internet petitions to have that incompetant bastard Mayor McCheese impeached from his position in McDonaldland, and yet he remains in office.

850650[/snapback]

The mayor may still be mayor but he hasn't been seen in years. I heard he is on the hip-hop circuit posing as M-Cheese.