Directv & Sunday Ticket - I don't get this

Reed83HOF

I went to the game yesterday and as I always do, I set my DirecTV Tivo up to record the game...this was I can see the crappy calls made by the Refs :doh:

Anyways I got home after the game and found that it was blacked out, seeing that utica is what 180-200 Miles from Buffalo; I kinda sorta figured that the 75 mile radius rule got tossed out of the window...

I just got off the phone with DTV and they stated that it was blacked out becuase my local CBS affiliate was showing the game (WTVH in Syracuse) and they are prhobited from showing a game if your local affiliate is showing the game. This surprised me for a couple of reasons, I recall WTVH being affected by the black out rule, again a crock of sh*t beacuse 'Cuse is what 120-160 miles from Buffalo, which is one reason I switched to DTV 4 yrs ago. Also that I have received all Bills games on Sunday ticket and the games were indeed broadcast on WTVH / WFXV (Fox); I asked the lady if she could double check that, without mentioning that they come in on my local affiliate - I would not like the surprise of having all Bills games blacked out on Sunday Ticket; then it would be a waste of $200. She double checked and read me the regulation that states this is true....and that is why it was blacked out in Utica...What Crap!!!

I just got off the phone with DTV and they stated that it was blacked out becuase my local CBS affiliate was showing the game (WTVH in Syracuse) and they are prhobited from showing a game if your local affiliate is showing the game. 

...What Crap!!!

849741[/snapback]

I agree, crap it is. But, this is one of the problems with the Sunday ticket - you get most of the games, but not all. When I first moved here, I got the ticket, but of course, no local channels. When the local CBS station is showing a game, it's blacked out on DirecTV. Which sucks because for the local channel I used to have to switch to an antenna feed (like it was 1970 or something).

Well, with the current state of the Bills, I doubt they'll ever be on local TV down here. So, no biggie for me this season.

I always wondered why they couldn't just show you all the games on the ticket without all these restrictions and such. I suppose that corporate America at its finest.

I went to the game yesterday and as I always do, I set my DirecTV Tivo up to record the game...this was I can see the crappy calls made by the Refs  :doh:

Anyways I got home after the game and found that it was blacked out, seeing that utica is what 180-200 Miles from Buffalo; I kinda sorta figured that the 75 mile radius rule got tossed out of the window...

I just got off the phone with DTV and they stated that it was blacked out becuase my local CBS affiliate was showing the game (WTVH in Syracuse) and they are prhobited from showing a game if your local affiliate is showing the game. This surprised me for a couple of reasons, I recall WTVH being affected by the black out rule, again a crock of sh*t beacuse 'Cuse is what 120-160 miles from Buffalo, which is one reason I switched to DTV 4 yrs ago. Also that I have received all Bills games on Sunday ticket and the games were indeed broadcast on WTVH / WFXV (Fox); I asked the lady if she could double check that, without mentioning that they come in on my local affiliate - I would not like the surprise of having all Bills games blacked out on Sunday Ticket; then it would be a waste of $200. She double checked and read me the regulation that states this is true....and that is why it was blacked out in Utica...What Crap!!!

849741[/snapback]

DTV can not show the NFL game if local affiliate is showing it however it seems when the game is HD and you have superfan than you get the HD broadcast on the NFL ST side. This is the dumbest rule but forced by local affiliates who figured we would miss their commercials if we watched the ST broadcast. This is the same insanity with local affiliates that prohibits east/west coast feeds of major networks.

DTV can not show the NFL game if local affiliate is showing it however it seems when the game is HD and you have superfan than you get the HD broadcast on the NFL ST side.  This is the dumbest rule but forced by local affiliates who figured we would miss their commercials if we watched the ST broadcast.  This is the same insanity with local affiliates that prohibits east/west coast feeds of major networks.

849751[/snapback]

So for an xtra $100 on top of the $200 I already plunk down? I might as well get season tix and swtich to my antenna for the remaining 8 games... :doh:

Are the local affiliates that angry that I miss 10,000,000,000 Billy Fuccillo commercials? :D

Not to mention...my CBS station signed a waiver so I can get CBS East/West...Like the Bills will ever be on the NY & LA channels... :D

Dude, you just recorded the wrong channel it sounds like.  You recorded the NFL Ticket channel and should have been recording your local CBS channel.

850038[/snapback]

seeing there haven't been many blackouts lately I'm slightly outta practice...WTVH (Syracuse CBS) used to black them out, which was a reason for my switch to DTV in 2002 and I haven't had 1 game blacked out on DTV yet...so it was natural for me to set it up for Sunday Ticket...for some reason apparently WTVH now shows the games...my parents and uncles said they were surprised to see it on tv here seeing that it wasn't sold out...

I'll know for sure this sunday, I don't plan on going to this game...and it is gonna be tough for them to sell out....by 1pm Thursday

I'll know for sure this sunday, I don't plan on going to this game...and it is gonna be tough for them to sell out....by 1pm Thursday

850046[/snapback]

Just check your channel guide. It'll show the game on your CBS affiliate if it's playing on that channel. It's the same thing that happens here with the Redskins games.

Not to mention...my CBS station signed a waiver so I can get CBS East/West...Like the Bills will ever be on the NY & LA channels... :D

849762[/snapback]

Actually you'll get them twice a year when they play the jets.

I'm in the same situation as you (live in Utica but go to the games) but if you ever can't make a game the blackout ends in Herkimer.

See this post for more info on blackout rules.

DTV can not show the NFL game if local affiliate is showing it however it seems when the game is HD and you have superfan than you get the HD broadcast on the NFL ST side.  This is the dumbest rule but forced by local affiliates who figured we would miss their commercials if we watched the ST broadcast.  This is the same insanity with local affiliates that prohibits east/west coast feeds of major networks.

849751[/snapback]

If the local channel shows a game it is blacked out period. I am considered to be in the Tampa market even though I live closer to Ft Myers. If a game is shown on a Tampa station it is blacked out on my ticket even though I can not pick the station from Tampa up over the air. :D