Sabres-Habs

daquixers_is_back

Yeah both goals were ones he probably would want back but he also bailed them out a bunch of times. Problem tonight was not capitalizing on our scoring chances.

847197[/snapback]

Yeah, some good defense on the Habs part too. Miller did his part... those two that got through kinda sting a bit considering some of the good saves he had all night long.

I thought the Sabres played well tonight. They skated hard and went up against another good team.

Nothing to be that sad over - they just didn't get the puck to go in the net on their breaks, unlike normally.

Montreal is a pretty good team.

I thought the Sabres played well tonight.  They skated hard and went up against another good team.

Nothing to be that sad over - they just didn't get the puck to go in the net on their breaks, unlike normally.

Montreal is a pretty good team.

847206[/snapback]

:angry: Not really sure I can agree with you. Except for bits and pieces of the 2nd period, I thought they looked extremely flat ... and to give the puck away with 7 seconds left and let 2 MTL players skate into your end to score is just not right. No I am not one of those "The world is over" because the Sabres have lost type of person,but truly there was no excuse for that loss.

:angry:  Not really sure I can agree with you. Except for bits and pieces of the 2nd period, I thought they looked extremely flat ... and to give the puck away with 7 seconds left and let 2 MTL players skate into your end to score is just not right. No I am not one of those "The world is over" because the Sabres have lost type of person,but truly there was no excuse for that loss.

847251[/snapback]

Granted, I didn't watch it closely, I had a headache that was pretty bad so I was only half watching it, but the times I did they had some good chances. It could very well be that you are right and I just happened to catcht he right parts.

In OT they had some great chances on MTL as well and it went back and forth. Unfortunately the Sabres didn't get the goal before MTL did.

Granted, I didn't watch it closely, I had a headache that was pretty bad so I was only half watching it, but the times I did they had some good chances.  It could very well be that you are right and I just happened to catcht he right parts.

In OT they had some great chances on MTL as well and it went back and forth.  Unfortunately the Sabres didn't get the goal before MTL did.

847254[/snapback]

Honestly the way I saw it was like this: The Sabres would get 2-3 really good chances to score. Fail to do so. Then do nothing for 7 minutes. The Sabres would get 1-2 really good chances to score. Fail to do so. Then do nothing for 1/2 of a period .... etc. Overtime they had some really nice chances ...

WE WERE SO CLOSE TO A SHOOTOUT!  1.5 seconds is all we needed. :w00t:

847281[/snapback]

If one of the two goalposts we hit in the first period was an inch inside we wouldn't have needed overtime.

They got a point.

They will finish far ahead of anyone else in the division that the missed point means nothing other than the Rangers on Sunday night at MSG will wish they were not next on the schedule to play Buffalo. :angry:

Having 6 rooks in the lineup is bound to bite you sooner or later.  At least they got a point.

847260[/snapback]

True, but it was guys like Novotny and Kotalik who hurt them the most tonight, with some sloppy puck handling. I think the kids are playing pretty solid hockey.

Montreal played a hell of a defensive game, yet Buffalo still had plenty of opportunities to win. Teppo and Campbell (I think) each hit a goal post, Vanek had two or three hustle breakaways, and Drury had a point blank shot, that Huet made a great save on. Some nights are just like that. Its' a long season.

I thought Novotny and Kotalik looked rather unimpressive. Jiri is definitely pressing.

I watched the game closely and saw a team that really hung with Montreal all night. It was one of those games. Miller would like to have those back, I'm sure, but all the same he made some spectacular saves. Also, you can only let so many 3 on 2's happen before they get you. Miller made the move on Kovalev, the more gifted scorer, only to have Souray keep it.

The kids look good. I am not going to doubt Lindy but I'd sure like to see the 6th youngster, whoever it is on any given night, getting a little more time to take the pressure off of the older legs like Teppo.

Paille made a Tallinder-like move last night in helping out his keeper. I like this kid. We didn't win but there were some really good signs in this game. And like any winning product it needs to be tested and ultimately needs to fail a few times to turn out better in the end. I'm glad we're seeing a few flaws that can be fixed now rather than later.

Pretty much agree with the sentiment above - and I thought Campbell had an outstanding game, logged 30+ mins, and I just saw on the box score that he was given 1st star. Definitely agree with that. Unfortunately I don't think he was on the ice for the last goal - don't remember the defensive pairing out there.

Sabres power play was pathetic. Habs have improved. Teams have studied the Sabres and are improving at shutting down the offense. Losing four games to division foes hurts. Miller did let in two stoppable shots but yes, he did make some tough stops earlier in the game. How that breakaway happened in the first place is troubling. The Sabres have won a number of games this year that they probably didn't deserve to win. It works both ways. Take them one at a time boys, just don't burnout!

Sabres power play was pathetic.  Habs have improved.  Teams have studied the Sabres and are improving at shutting down the offense.  Losing four games to division foes hurts.  Miller did let in two stoppable shots but yes, he did make some tough stops earlier in the game.  How that breakaway happened in the first place is troubling.  The Sabres have won a number of games this year that they probably didn't deserve to win.  It works both ways.  Take them one at a time boys, just don't burnout!

849260[/snapback]

Although I think the Sabres are IMHO at the moment the best team in the NHL, Montreal is definitely one that can keep up with the Sabres.

Anyways, I was in Buffalo the night of the game but had a hard time finding any decent highlights on ESPNBA except for the GWG.

Looks like a nice rivalry might be brewing here :D

Although I think the Sabres are IMHO at the moment the best team in the NHL, Montreal is definitely one that can keep up with the Sabres.

Anyways, I was in Buffalo the night of the game but had a hard time finding any decent highlights on ESPNBA except for the GWG.

Looks like a nice rivalry might be brewing here  :D

850251[/snapback]

Also, look out for the Leafs. This Habs rivalry has been in Buffalo for a long time. It is good to have the Leafs and Sabres back in the same division. Pens and Whalers never really had the drama.

850251[/snapback]

That is definitely true. They are two of the teams who have adapted best to the new rules. The speed of their games is incredible, even going back to last season.

I think the Sabres are a better team top-to-bottom, but as Friday proved, if Huet is hot then Montreal can beat anybody. With the skill at forward on each team, and the way both goalies were playing, that game was begging for a shootout. Nice shot by Souray off a patient setup from Kovalev.

I don't fault Miller, that thing was a rocket to the roof, but he was down awfully early. Straka did the same thing to him at MSG. I suppose you can't complain if word is getting around the league that all it takes to beat your team's goalie is a perfect wrister to the top corner. Oh, is that all? :D