Which qb will have the best NFL future?

muddy waters

Tony Romo is the current boy wonder in the NFL, and Philip Rivers is getting some pretty good press too. But with only one solid performance under his belt, J.P. Losman still gets nothing but criticism whenever you hear his name mentioned by the national news media. I dunno, but I still think JP has the most potential of the three. He is learning things the hard way with a porous and inexperienced offensive line. I know he has a lot to prove, but I like to think that JP is the sleeper quarterback of these three who could have the best future.

Tough to say, but I'd probably go with Rivers... not JP's fault though. The other 2 are in much better situations, while JP hasn't exactly been set up for success with the Bills.

847010[/snapback]

Not to bash JP in any way (because I am a supporter), but Dallas has been having protection problems all year too. In fact, their O-line has been mentioned amongst the worst in the league. I think he, like JP, had a great game from his O-Line. If given time, a good QB will make good decisions. JP last week and Tony this week are proof of that.

P.S. Does anyone not notice the eery resemblance in style and demeanor between Romo and Brett Favre. The sh---eating grin on his face is so Favray like.

Not to bash JP in any way (because I am a supporter), but Dallas has been having protection problems all year too.  In fact, their O-line has been mentioned amongst the worst in the league.  I think he, like JP, had a great game from his O-Line.  If given time, a good QB will make good decisions.  JP last week and Tony this week are proof of that.

P.S.  Does anyone not notice the eery resemblance in style and demeanor between Romo and Brett Favre.  The sh---eating grin on his face is so Favray like.

847014[/snapback]

I don't see any Brett Favre, Romo most resembles Jeff Garcia, IMO. Garcia was a really good player for a while, but he got a late start in the NFL and then had injuries and lost some good receiving targets. It will be tough to defense Romo because he basically has three All-Pro quality targets in Glenn, TO and Witten and he is very good at just getting the ball out of his hands and those guys are good at making plays. I expect we will see teams try to take away the middle of the field from him and make him throw those deep outs for a living. He puts a lot of air under his throws, not a great arm by any means.

I'm gonna have to go with Rivers, I think he is going to be a very good QB for a long time and visit Hawaii a lot.

847020[/snapback]

I had thought that Rivers would be the bust of that draft class. After watching him this year it appears I'll have to chalk that opinion up in the "wrong" column.

Rivers has looked very good for a first year starter. Of course, things are made much easier by having the best player in the NFL lined up in the backfield and the best TE in football and a solid OL. LT and Gates create huge match up problems for Ds. Rivers has done a solid job of making sure those match up problems result in lots of TDs though. From what I've seen I'd say that Rivers will be the best QB of the three you mention (as well as the best from that draft class with Eli and Big Ben.)

As for Romo, we'll see. Thus far he looks very good but he can't keep this pace up forever and I want to see how he handles adversity. If he can handle the bad stretches well it looks like he has the tools to succeed though I’m not ready to label him a super-star.

Tony Romo is the current boy wonder in the NFL, and Philip Rivers is getting some pretty good press too. But with only one solid performance under his belt, J.P. Losman still gets nothing but criticism  whenever you hear his name mentioned by the national news media. I dunno, but I still think JP has the most potential of the three. He is learning things the hard way with a porous and inexperienced offensive line. I know he has a lot to prove, but I like to think that JP is the sleeper quarterback of these three who could have the best future.

847005[/snapback]

Losman easily has the most athletic ability, but Rivers and Romo have a better feel for the game at this point. That goes a long way, especially if you have that early on.

I think Rivers could be great, but will he hold up and will he be able to produce if he doesn't have the best RB and receiving target (Gates) at his disposal? To me, Rivers reminds me a lot of Bernie Kosar. Very smart, not a great athlete, awkward but effective motion, starts his career in a winning situation.......will he be able to do it over the long haul or will his lack of athletic prowess show up in 5-6 years like it did for Kosar where he seemed to turn to junk overnight?

Losman, IMO has a chance to be in the Donovan McNabb or Steve McNair class as a QB, which is to say, very good but not great. Not the most natural passers from the pocket, but guys who can salvage a few extra plays per game with their athleticism and arm strength that some more natural passers might not be able to. You can win with either style, but a look at SB history says it has been better to have the pocket passer in the Brady/Warner/Brad Johnson mold to this point.

Sure Losman has the most athletic ability, but he shows the least mental prowess. When I think of a good QB I think of Marc Bulger. Not great, not bad, but does the job most of the time great head on his shoulders. That's how I see Romo but with more athletic ability (as someone mentioned Garcia, but I think he's got better touch).

Rivers I like, but I'm not sold on yet. I think he'll probably be the best. Sure LT is great, but he has no receivers and a great TE to throw to. Maybe LT bails him out with dump-off I don't know because I don't see their games. Anyone care to comment on the dump-off?

Romo looks the best. Great touch, movement, and accuracy. He had 3 or 4 drops from what I saw and was close to 22-27 making his accuracy almost perfect. I watched him for 2 pre-seasons (because I don't like Bledsoe) and I thought he was the real deal. Well he's good, probably as good as anyone not named Peyton Manning. He may have good receivers, but an aging Glenn, and no running game makes me give him more credit than the other 2.

Rivers I like, but I'm not sold on yet. I think he'll probably be the best. Sure LT is great, but he has no receivers and a great TE to throw to. Maybe LT bails him out with dump-off I don't know because I don't see their games. Anyone care to comment on the dump-off?

847092[/snapback]

It's not a matter of just bailing him out with the dump off, it's a matter of match ups. How do you defend SD with both LT and Gates on the field? Are you going to play a dime? Nickel? Base?

If you go with your base D (3 LBs) that leaves a LB to cover both LT and Gates in the passing game. If you play a nickel you still have a LB on one of them. You can't play a dime because they'll just run the ball down your throat (that pretty much applies to the nickel too).

The D HAS to concentrate on stopping LT in the running game which means that SD isn’t going to see that many blitzes and also means that those LBs are going to be on the field to stop LT and Gates in the passing game. If the D plays predominantly a zone (which they’re almost forced to do since they can’t win the man to man match ups) that makes it so much easier on a QB as he’s less likely to face serious pressure from the pass rush and makes his reads easier. You really couldn’t give Rivers a more ideal situation in which to be learning the QB position.

Sure Losman has the most athletic ability, but he shows the least mental prowess. When I think of a good QB I think of Marc Bulger. Not great, not bad, but does the job most of the time great head on his shoulders. That's how I see Romo but with more athletic ability (as someone mentioned Garcia, but I think he's got better touch).

Romo looks the best. Great touch, movement, and accuracy. He had 3 or 4 drops from what I saw and was close to 22-27 making his accuracy almost perfect. I watched him for 2 pre-seasons (because I don't like Bledsoe) and I thought he was the real deal. Well he's good, probably as good as anyone not named Peyton Manning. He may have good receivers, but an aging Glenn, and no running game makes me give him more credit than the other 2.

847092[/snapback]

I don't see the Bulger comparison, Bulger is a slow footed, mechanical pocket passer. Footwork for Bulger is sliding a foot in either direction in the pocket. He'd get killed behind Dallas' offensive line, just as he has been getting killed in St. Louis in recent years. Romo's game is all about being able to move around and if he had to stand in the pocket in chuck it all day that would be much clearer.