Congrats to the NFL Network

Simon

Thumbs up. So true, and this is just from watching the highlights they post on nfl.com

847011[/snapback]

Who was the team that called the 2nd Monday Night game during the first week of the season. It was Ron Jaworski and some other guy. Easily the best play-by-play I heard all year. So of course ESPN makes sure we never hear them call a game again.

Vermeil.

Who was the team that called the 2nd Monday Night game during the first week of the season.  It was Ron Jaworski and some other guy.  Easily the best play-by-play I heard all year.  So of course ESPN makes sure we never hear them call a game again.

847017[/snapback]

I just typed in 'insight' on dictionary.com and I'm pretty sure that doesn't apply to Sterling Sharpe.

846908[/snapback]

You've obviously never heard him do color commentating before. Surprisingly, he's one of the best guys out there at it. He actually breaks down what happens on the field instead of simply stating the obvious. He's not smooth, but he's quite good.

Who was the team that called the 2nd Monday Night game during the first week of the season.  It was Ron Jaworski and some other guy.  Easily the best play-by-play I heard all year.  So of course ESPN makes sure we never hear them call a game again.

847017[/snapback]

Brad Nessler was the play-by-play guy and I think it was Dick Vermeil doing color. Nessler usually does college football and basketball for ESPN/ABC and is one of the better play-by-play men around.

People still haven't realize that TV networks don't put the best guys that they have to do game broadcasts?

I thought everyone knew that.

They do it because they can draw in more people that way, while pissing us off and getting real football fans to talk about now crappy they are. Win-win.

Gay people aren't born that way. There is no evidence to assert this. You have random hypothesii for their belief, but it is contrary to all evidence.

How is it a win-win for anybody(networks, advertisers, viewers, etc) when potential viewers actually turn off broadcasts so they don't have to listen to self-important windbags? Seems more like a lose-lose-lose to me.

I thought Collingsworth put himself in check last night when, during a critical part of the game -- 3rd and long for KC with the lead (I think mid-fourth quarter) where he basically said, "This is where Herm Edwards has got to really make a choice. He could go to a screen or draw, but don't look for him to go downfield and do anything dangerous."

On the very next play Green went about 18 yards on a crossing pattern, throwing the ball to a wide open receiver who got decent yards after the catch, and the booth was dead silent. :angry:

But I've recently seen Paul McGuire in hi-def commentating on a college game while sitting next to a roving cameraman on the sidelines. And I realized...okay, I'll take that trade.

How is it a win-win for anybody(networks, advertisers, viewers, etc) when potential viewers actually turn off broadcasts so they don't have to listen to self-important windbags? Seems more like a lose-lose-lose to me.

847139[/snapback]

I don't know why you quoted a post about gay people, but a lot of the fans who aren't completely interested in football would rather hear goofy announcers and "entertainment" then football. Most of the hardcore fans won't turn it off because they want to see the game. The risk of people actually not tuning in because of idiotic announcers is pretty low I'd think.

I don't know why you quoted a post about gay people, but a lot of the fans who aren't completely interested in football would rather hear goofy announcers and "entertainment" then football.  Most of the hardcore fans won't turn it off because they want to see the game.  The risk of people actually not tuning in because of idiotic announcers is pretty low I'd think.

847212[/snapback]

Doh! :w00t:

Too many windows open at once. :angry:

I just don't know one single person who would watch a football game just to hear the announcers. Yet I know a lot of people who will turn a game off or watch w/o sound just so they don't have to hear the Theismanns and Collinsworths.

It makes me think that the instances of people tuning out because off announcers are far greater than the instances of people tuning in because of announcers.

Cya

Brad Nessler was the play-by-play guy and I think it was Dick Vermeil doing color. Nessler usually does college football and basketball for ESPN/ABC and is one of the better play-by-play men around.

847038[/snapback]

I think that's about the only opinion any 2 fans can agree on - Vermeil & Jaws were great and ought to be regulars :angry:

At least the season is here for the gold standard that all sports broadcast teams should aspire to: McDonough/Bilas/Rafftery on college hoops.

You've obviously never heard him do color commentating before.  Surprisingly, he's one of the best guys out there at it.  He actually breaks down what happens on the field instead of simply stating the obvious.  He's not smooth, but he's quite good.

847033[/snapback]

I heard him do the Bills-Broncos game last year - I don't remember thinking he was terrible or great. All I know is he is neither funny nor insightful in the studio.

Collinsworth has always been very fair to the Bills - he did the '95 playoff game in Pittsburgh and couldn't stop praising us for being in the game with all the injuries. On another footnote Vermeil did the Miami game the week prior.

All I know is he(Sterling Sharpe) is neither funny nor insightful in the studio.

Guess what, Collinsworth isn't funny or insightful in a studio or a booth either. Even worse he seems to have convinced himself that he is. But he said something nice about the Bills so that must mean he's good. :angry:

Personally I think Sterling Sharpe was very insightful throughout the season last year on NFLN's Playbook show; one of the best I've ever seen at actually sticking to football discussion. As for him not being funny, thank gawd for small miracles. I'm waaayyyy tired of these self-adoring, annoyingly unfunny former ballplayers (i.e. Collinsworth, Merril Hoge, Shannon Sharpe, etc) who feel compelled to clown around in front of a microphone because they think they're hilarious when in fact they're just too stupid to know any better. These asshats are the reason I haven't turned on a televison before 12:59pm on Sunday for over 10 years.

If I want untalented comedians with pathetic material, I'll turn on one of the networks during primetime. If I want actual football in my football show, I'll go with Sterling.