Game tonight on NFLN

JimBob2232

For those of us who cant afford to pay for cable, and thus have DirecTV (sorry, had to throw a plug in off the bat), the NFL network is advertizing tonights game in HD. How do I get this game? Its not Ch. 212 obviously. I dont see it in my 70-80 range channels. I dont see it in my 700-730 NFL ST chanels. Is this game being broadcast in HD on Directv?

I think DirecTVs problem is that they only have the physical ability to send so much information into your house. They are in the process of upgrading their infastructure, and the weak link (i belive) is the receiver in your home, which they are working on upgrading. Hopefuly im not telling too much of a tale here, Fez can correct if i am..but the problem (with DirecTV) anyway isnt a money issue, its an ability issue they are working to resolve.

Interesting story here

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2672291

After reading this argument, I side with the cable networks on this one. The NFL appears to be ridiculous here. They are suing cable companies because they are putting their network on premium tier packages vice basic cable. They are requiring huge fees to broadcast the NFLN.

So, from a cable providers standpoint.

1) Cant put it on Premium Tiered programing

2) Have to put it on Basic Programming and increase fees for ALL users by about 70 cents per month.

3) The NFL has shown favortism to DirecTV, and many people who watch football have already switched to DirecTV. Thus depleating the need and the benefit of carrying the NFLN.

espn has a story about this on their homepage

found this quote interesting

So far, Time Warner's Harrad says he hasn't heard a "significant outcry from customers" about the network's absence from his company's systems. But he expects "we'll hear from more" once the games start on Thursday night.

After reading this argument, I side with the cable networks on this one.  The NFL appears to be ridiculous here.  They are suing cable companies because they are putting their network on premium tier packages vice basic cable.  They are requiring huge fees to broadcast the NFLN. 

So, from a cable providers standpoint.

1) Cant put it on Premium Tiered programing

2) Have to put it on Basic Programming and increase fees for ALL users by about 70 cents per month.

3) The NFL has shown favortism to DirecTV, and many people who watch football have already switched to DirecTV.  Thus depleating the need and the benefit of carrying the NFLN.

846492[/snapback]

I thought things were looking up when the Sunday Ticket deal was up and cable companies were trying to get in on it....then the NFL re-signed the deal with DirectTV. :devil:

I agree with JimBob...I don't see why the cable companies *must* put it on their basic/standard package, especially for what - 6 regular season games out of the 512 that exist during the year?

This clearly smacks of favoritism by the NFL. They're putting their own network in the mix to carry the games against the likes of NBC, CBS, Fox, and ESPN. Isn't there some anti-trust law against that?

The NFL does not run up against anti-trust laws because any group is welcome to come in and start a football league to compete. MLB has some legislation that favors that specific league so the politicians have more leverage over it (hence the steroid investigations).

As for the NFL and NFL network, what you're seeing here is simple capitalism at work. The NFL has a product that they own, and they don't have to sell it for anything less than what they think its worth. If Time Warner doesn't want to carry the NFL Network in the capacity that the NFL wants, then they don't have to buy it, its that simple. Of course, they'll get some heat from NFL fans but that's the trade off.

It's not about being fair. It's about making money and using leverage to get the best possible deal for your company.

I loved the Direct TV advertisement in USA Today on Wednesday. A full page ad with the headline "Thanksgiving is a time for giving thanks. Thank Time Warner and Cablevision for not carrying the NFL Network and here are the games you will not

be seeing: " And then they went on to list all the games on the NFL network this season.

RTB