I can't resist this

AJ1

and is rated 12th Hint: he plays for the Bills.

Other ratings of note:

Rex Grossman---13

Eli Manning-------17

Ben Roethlisberger--24

And last and least

Drew Bledsoe-----30th out of 30 reported by nfl.com

and is rated 12th  Hint: he plays for the Bills.

Other ratings of note:

Rex Grossman---13

Eli Manning-------17

Ben Roethlisberger--24

And last and least

Drew Bledsoe-----30th  out of 30 reported by nfl.com

843993[/snapback]

Wow, it didn't even take Bledsoe half the season for his rating to drop.

call me crazy or just too optimistic, but I think this is the beginning of good things for the team in general. It looks like all gears of the machine are starting to click a little bit. I think with a little fine tuning we could be ready to compete next year.

Just remember what the doc mentioned a while back... SB QBs over the past ten years (except for Trent Dilfer) had a rating of 85 or above. So... whatever team you root for, if your QB achieves that 85 mark, your team has a shot... and, a great defense always help too.

JP has taken a lot of flack... and much of it deserved. But, he seems to be catching on little by little... and having been through this, his mates will have bit more respect for him. This win seems to have energized the team... now all we can hope is that they don't have a hangover from this win.

and is rated 12th  Hint: he plays for the Bills.

Other ratings of note:

Rex Grossman---13

Eli Manning-------17

Ben Roethlisberger--24

And last and least

Drew Bledsoe-----30th  out of 30 reported by nfl.com

843993[/snapback]

Couldnt care less about rating- I watch him, and he plays well- thats the only rating I need

call me crazy or just too optimistic, but I think this is the beginning of good things for the team in general.  It looks like all gears of the machine are starting to click a little bit.  I think with a little fine tuning we could be ready to compete next year.

844015[/snapback]

honestly, i completely agree. Sometimes, a game like that can turn an entire team around. The defense got a big stop, the offense punched the ball in during crunch time. A game like that can reverse a lot of fortunes.

honestly, i completely agree. Sometimes, a game like that can turn an entire team around. The defense got a big stop, 

Although, just imagine what *our* reaction would have been if on 3rd and 2 in a "keep the clock running situation" and our RB's averaging a whopping 7 yards per carry for the game and our coaches had called for a pass!

the offense punched the ball in during crunch time. A game like that can reverse a lot of fortunes.

844096[/snapback]

I want to say that too, but I'm feeling a little burnt by the surge of confidence that I had in Rob Johnson after the way he played in the Tennessee playoff game....

JDG

Although, just imagine what *our* reaction would have been if on 3rd and 2 in a "keep the clock running situation" and our RB's averaging a whopping 7 yards per carry for the game and our coaches had called for a pass! 

I want to say that too, but I'm feeling a little burnt by the surge of confidence that I had in Rob Johnson after the way he played in the Tennessee playoff game....

JDG

844115[/snapback]

Now I get it. You have little to no confidence in a QB who plays lousy the whole game and for only 105 yards but throws a late TD in a win, but you get a surge of confidence in a QB who plays lousy an entire game and for only 91 yards but throws enough for a late FG in a loss. That makes sense.

Now I get it. You have little to no confidence in a QB who plays lousy the whole game and for only 105 yards but throws a late TD in a win, but you get a surge of confidence in a QB who plays lousy an entire game and for only 91 yards but throws enough for a late FG in a loss. That makes sense.

844125[/snapback]

Did you mean 131 yards?

In any event, this is yet another example of why you can't boil down a QB to a single stat and say "QB X is better than QB Y." I think there is a huge difference in confidence between hitting a wide open guy at home against a bad team after your opponent commits football malpractice on 2nd and 20 on one hand, and leading your team down the field in a two-minute drill, in the playoffs, against a very good defense, in a very hostile road environment, while having the athletic tape hanging off your foot after you lost your shoe, for what would have been the game-winning field goal, if not for a bad call by the refs.

You can feel free to call me crazy for believing that.

JDG

Rex Grossman going to playoffs

Eli Manning, probably going

Big Ben, slim chance but could turn it around

Drew's team, going to the playoffs

JP, although improving, not going to the playoffs.

QB rating isn't taking the team to the playoffs.

Rex Grossman going to playoffs

Eli Manning, probably going

Big Ben, slim chance but could turn it around

Drew's team, going to the playoffs

JP, although improving, not going to the playoffs.

QB rating isn't taking the team to the playoffs.

844169[/snapback]

Drew's team is going to the playoffs with the second rated passer in the league, Tony Romo, at 100.0.

Grossman gets away with a lot of bad decisions because of his talented defense, but it shows in his rating.

Big Ben's team would have a much greater chance (than slim...) if Roethlisberger were performing better.

Eli is Eli, we'll see how the rest of the season play's out.

Did you mean 131 yards?

In any event, this is yet another example of why you can't boil down a QB to a single stat and say "QB X is better than QB Y."    I think there is a huge difference in confidence between hitting a wide open guy at home against a bad team after your opponent commits football malpractice on 2nd and 20 on one hand, and leading your team down the field in a two-minute drill, in the playoffs, against a very good defense, in a very hostile road environment, while having the athletic tape hanging off your foot after you lost your shoe, for what would have been the game-winning field goal, if not for a bad call by the refs.

You can feel free to call me crazy for believing that. 

JDG

844161[/snapback]

The point is only that RJ was crappy the whole day, terrible, and made one drive that went about 40 yards for a FG late. Losman was crappy the whole day, terrible, and made one drive that went for a TD late. The FG inspired confidence, the TD didn't.

Have you ever actually tried throwing a football with only one shoe? I have. It's remarkably easy.

RJ had 96 yards net passing, 2 fumbles lost and a safety. Losman had 64 net yards passing, and no turnovers.

Drew's team is going to the playoffs with the second rated passer in the league, Tony Romo, at 100.0.

Grossman gets away with a lot of bad decisions because of his talented defense, but it shows in his rating.

Big Ben's team would have a much greater chance (than slim...) if Roethlisberger were performing better.

Eli is Eli, we'll see how the rest of the season play's out.

844185[/snapback]

What's your point? Jake Plummer is 29th in rating and his team is 7-3 and headed to the playoffs.

What's your point?  Jake Plummer is 29th in rating and his team is 7-3 and headed to the playoffs.

844191[/snapback]

My point is that passer rating is not a useless stat, as you are trying to indicate with your references to QBs with worse ratings than Losman who are likely to go to the playoffs.

You have listed two teams with spectacular defenses and quarterbacks who have been marginal (Plummer has been consistently worse than Losman, Grossman has been either spectacular or horrible). You also listed a team that was going nowhere until they got rid of the 30th rated QB and replaced him with a guy who is now the 2nd rated QB. Finally, you listed the defending SB Champions who are now 4 - 6 largely because their quarterback has only two decent quarters this season.

What's your point?  Jake Plummer is 29th in rating and his team is 7-3 and headed to the playoffs.

844191[/snapback]

I think another important point is that Losman is doing what is being asked of him (whether he only gets 12 attempts or 38) and he isn't messing up. He should have a future as QB for this team because even though we're 4-6 Losman is holding his own.

The point is only that RJ was crappy the whole day, terrible, and made one drive that went about 40 yards for a FG late. Losman was crappy the whole day, terrible, and made one drive that went for a TD late. The FG inspired confidence, the TD didn't.

844190[/snapback]

This is a classic example of "God is Love, Love is Blind, Ray Charles is Blind, therefore Ray Charles is GOD" logic.

I don't know why in the two years that we have been evaluating JP Losman that some NFL fans have been unable to grasp the possibility that there is more than one level of "bad." This is the same thing I have been going through over and over again with people who have tried to compare JP Losman's early performances to the early performances of other QB's - somehow people only see one level of "bad." Look, even if one wanted to remain solely focused on the single stat that you presented - Rob Johnson still passed for TWENTY-EIGHT PERCENT more yards against the Titans than JP Losman did against the Packers. And yet, you come out and describe them as "crappy the whole day, terrible" - unable to see a dime's worth of difference even between your own single-minded statistic.

Additionally, I think it is utterly fallacious to fail to distinguish between the circumstances. There is a vastly different standard for a performance at home, against one of the worst pass defenses in the League, in a near-meaningless game against a bad team coming off two straight wins, and yourself coming off a string of sub-par performances and really needing to show something on one hand; vs. the standard for performance against one of the League's best defenses; in one of the toughest, loudest, road environments in the League; in the freakin' PLAYOFFS!!!!!!

Lastly, in having confidence in a player, I think it is important to get one's nose out of the box score, and actually look at how the player played the game. JP Losman did zilch against the Packers, got into field position solely because of his special teams, and was bailed out by a Packers defense that committed football malpractice in blowing defensive coverage on the deep ball in a 2nd and 20 situation. Rob Johnson led (what should have been, save for a bad call by the refs) a game-winning drive in the playoffs against a very good defense in one of the toughest, loudest, road environments in the League. Playing without a shoe may not have really mattered all that much, but it certainly is the sort of thing that help "create a legend", and certainly is the sort of thing that helps boost ones' confidence, even beyond ones' stat line. Even beyond that, though, plain and simple, game-winning two-minute drives build confidence......

So, at the end of the day, you looked at the stat sheet, said that the two stat lines were about the same (which they weren't even that); then completely failed to evaluate the actual quality of play underlying those stat lines; and then posted a remarkably arrogant comment about all of it. Oh yeah, but I'm the crazy one....

JDG

This is a classic example of "God is Love, Love is Blind, Ray Charles is Blind, therefore Ray Charles is GOD" logic.

I don't know why in the two years that we have been evaluating JP Losman that some NFL fans have been unable to grasp the possibility that there is more than one level of "bad."  This is the same thing I have been going through over and over again with people who have tried to compare JP Losman's early performances to the early performances of other QB's - somehow people only see one level of "bad."  Look, even if one wanted to remain solely focused on the single stat that you presented - Rob Johnson still passed for TWENTY-EIGHT PERCENT more yards against the Titans than JP Losman did against the Packers.  And yet, you come out and describe them as "crappy the whole day, terrible" - unable to see a dime's worth of difference even between your own single-minded statistic.

Additionally, I think it is utterly fallacious to fail to distinguish between the circumstances.  There is a vastly different standard for a performance at home, against one of the worst pass defenses in the League, in a near-meaningless game against a bad team coming off two straight wins, and yourself coming off a string of sub-par performances and really needing to show something on one hand; vs. the standard for performance against one of the League's best defenses; in one of the toughest, loudest, road environments in the League; in the freakin' PLAYOFFS!!!!!! 

Lastly, in having confidence in a player, I think it is important to get one's nose out of the box score, and actually look at how the player played the game.  JP Losman did zilch against the Packers, got into field position solely because of his special teams, and was bailed out by a Packers defense that committed football malpractice in blowing defensive coverage on the deep ball in a 2nd and 20 situation.    Rob Johnson led (what should have been, save for a bad call by the refs) a game-winning drive in the playoffs against a very good defense in one of the toughest, loudest, road environments in the League.    Playing without a shoe may not have really mattered all that much, but it certainly is the sort of thing that help "create a legend", and certainly is the sort of thing that helps boost ones' confidence, even beyond ones' stat line.  Even beyond that, though, plain and simple, game-winning two-minute drives build confidence......

So, at the end of the day, you looked at the stat sheet, said that the two stat lines were about the same (which they weren't even that); then completely failed to evaluate the actual quality of play underlying those stat lines; and then posted a remarkably arrogant comment about all of it.    Oh yeah, but I'm the crazy one....

JDG

844218[/snapback]

No, I watched and remembered the game. RJ was fukking horrible the entire game until that last drive. Horrible. Abysmal. Infuriating. And I liked RJ at that point. He fumbled. He gave up a safety. He did virtually nothing. He was pitiful for 58 minutes of that game. Then made one great heroic drive with 26 yards passing and got a FG. I didnt start comparing the two, I think it's a stupid comparison. You did. All I said is they both equally sucked. Okay, RJ's competition was much harder. But we lost the game.

And go ahead and throw around your stupid stats but I hope you know that 131 gross 96 net with no TDs but a safety and two fumbles is 10 times WORSE than 84 gross 64 net with one TD and no safeties or turnovers.

844191[/snapback]

And on the verge of being benched. Yeah, it’s Plummer that has them sitting pretty at 7-3. :P

I swear to god most of the people on this board don't watch any football. They read some web pages with records and stats and then form opinions on players.