Another bad column

RJsackedagain

I happen to agree with the column 100%. We need some solid OLine and DLine in the next draft, forget the "skill" positions. Maybe a good WR.

Flutie did ok behind those bad Olines because he ran around back there to create plays. He only did ok, he wasn't anything special.

Fix the OLine first then grab a qb the following year. If we grab Quinn or any other QB early in the draft, that QB is guaranteed to suck, too.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quinn is over rated! The only good thing about drafting Quinn is that he will be given more patient by the media and fans because he played at a big time university. If after 17 starts and he puts up the exact numbers but played in the same situation as JP, completing 60% of his passes but getting sack every other down, there would be more talk about building a better O-line around him and giving him more targets; etc and about giving him time to develop in the next 2,3 seasons; you know how most teams do when they draft a QB in the 1st round; give them time to develop.

But just our luck it won't happen that way; Quinn would hold out, come in late and allow JP to stick around. And then finally the light bulb goes off for JP, as itdoes for most QB's in their 3rd year. He plays lights out and were stuck with paying a 1st rd QB big time money to sit on the bench!

If this has been posted already I apologize, but I have to wonder how this moron is allowed to keep his job at the News. ... If the name Brady Quinn is on the draft board and the Bills pass him by I might seriously disown the team after 30 years of blood, sweat and tears

By BOB DICESARE

Fast food for thought . . .

There's a chance Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn will be available when the Buffalo Bills are on the clock in this year's NFL draft. Same goes for Ohio State's Troy Smith, and Louisville's Brian Brohm.

Here's five words of advice for the Bills: Don't even think about it.

I don't see J.P. Losman becoming the quarterback former General Manager Tom Donahoe envisioned when he paid a premium to execute the reach in the 2004 draft. Losman's lack of pocket presence is disturbing. His field vision remains inadequate. The extent to which the coaches steered away from the pass in Sunday's loss at Indianapolis amounted to a vote of no confidence, an acknowledgment that his decision-making is lacking when under duress.

Nonetheless, the Bills have to develop an offensive line before they consider going the quarterback route again early in the draft. Shore up the team's biggest weakness and maybe Losman graduates to another level of competency. Fortify the pass protection and perhaps he starts to click. But even if Losman remains stagnant, bolstering the line would position the Bills to plug a functional quarterback in his place. It's a functional Steve McNair who's going to get Baltimore into the playoffs this season.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061...?tbd1026222.asp

837140[/snapback]

I think you have to make them both priority this offseason if the Bills want to be a playoff team in a couple years. Bring in a free agent QB and make O-line your two first draft picks or draft Troy or Brady and sign quality offensive linemen and when I say quality I dont mean Bennie, Gandy, or Reyes type players

Would you have passed on Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer for a lineman then??

837203[/snapback]

Ths answer is no if Quinn will definitely become a player like Manning or Palmer. However, because there's no guarantee that Quinn will be as good as Manning or Palmer in pro football, this question is meaningless.

Case closed. :blink:

Kelly was drafted in 1983, but didn't join the team until 1986. In part it was money, another part was because the team sucked. If we do not develop an offsenive line it will not matter who is the QB. Jack Kemp couldn't have complete a pass with 3 seconds. Considering the inconsitant protection I can give JP a break on some things. You would need to be brain damaged not to be a tad jumpy back there. Yes, he is not showing the growth we all expected, but put another young QB back there and you'll have the same problems. I would love to see Troy Smith a Buffalo Bill, but without an O line, I would expect him to look like JP.

Kelly was drafted in 1983, but didn't join the team until 1986.  In part it was money, another part was because the team sucked.  If we do not develop an offsenive line it will not matter who is the QB.  Jack Kemp couldn't have complete a pass with 3 seconds.  Considering the inconsitant protection I can give JP a break on some things.  You would need to be brain damaged not to be a tad jumpy back there.  Yes, he is not showing the growth we all expected, but put another young QB back there and you'll have the same problems.  I would love to see Troy Smith a Buffalo Bill, but without an O line, I would expect him to look like JP.

837289[/snapback]

Troy Smith = Akili Smith, Josh Heupel, Jason White, Gino Toreta (spelling?)

Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Troy Aikman, .....

837314[/snapback]

Exactly, college QB's, in fact any college players are a crap shoot, sometimes you win and sometimes you roll snake eyes. No player is a sure thing till they prove it in the NFL. By the way, most considered Plamer a bust till he evolved into a decent QB last year, his 3rd year.

If we can somehow parley our high first round pick(personally I cant see us winning any more than 6 games at most. Not sure where that will put us in the rotation) into a couple of solid OLinemen, drafted or aquired, im for that. Let someone else have the high profile qb.

837159[/snapback]

Exactly what we should have done last year.

If we use our first round pick on a QB, I'll vomit. If there is no stud offensive lineman, no stud defensive lineman, no stud wideout, and no stud linebacker available, then go QB  :lol:

837145[/snapback]

You dont understand, Quinn is a blue chip legitamate franchise qb, if he is there when the bills pick levy goddam better have the stones to pull the trigger. The late George Young once said "if you EVER have a chance to draft a franchise qb & dont you will spend the next 10 years regretting it".

Quinn is over rated! The only good thing about drafting Quinn is that he will be given more patient by the media and fans because he played at a big time university. If after 17 starts and he puts up the exact numbers but played in the same situation as JP, completing 60% of his passes but getting sack every other down, there would be more talk about building a better O-line around him and giving him more targets; etc and about giving him time to develop in the next 2,3 seasons; you know how most teams do when they draft a QB in the 1st round; give them time to develop.

But just our luck it won't happen that way; Quinn would hold out, come in late and allow JP to stick around. And then finally the light bulb goes off for JP, as itdoes for most QB's in their 3rd year. He plays lights out and were stuck with paying a 1st rd QB big time money to sit on the bench!

837227[/snapback]

It seemed to workout alright for San Diego.

:lol:

Hahahaha!  I see this every year.  Every college QB with gaudy stats is the next franchise QB.  Meanwhile, some guy you never heard of gets drafted in the 6th round (Tom Brady) and becomes a three-time Super Bowl MVP. 

I think if you look at the drafts you'll see the there are more unheralded college QB's who succeed at the NFL level than guys who come out of the hype machine, like Quinn and Leinert.

I'm not saying the Bills shouldn't draft a QB.  Just don't assume when you draft the kid everyone is hyping that you picked a winner...especially if he's gona play behind our O-line!!!  B-)  :lol:

PTR

837157[/snapback]

Lets put your theory to the test. These are the teams that if the season ended now would make the playoffs:

AFC

New England (Brady - 6th round)

Denver (Plummer - I think 3rd round)

San Diego (Rivers - high 1st)

Indy (Manning - 1st overall)

Baltimore (Mcnair - high 1st)

Jacksonville (Leftwitch - high 1st) I know gerrard is starting now but still

NFC

New Orleans (Brees - 1st in 2nd round)

Chicago (Grossman - low 1st)

NYG(Manning - 1st overall)

Seatle ( Hasselback - I think 5th or 6th)

Atlanta (Vick - 1st overall)

Phily (Mcnabb - high 1st)

out of the 12 teams that are going to make the playoffs 9 have qbs selected in the fisrt round. Even more shocking, 7 out of 12 were top 10 picks.

I think it is pretty obvious, if you get the franchise qb, alot of the other stuff usually falls in place. Got to draft quinn if he is on the board.

Actually both. .... Again, I hate to defend Flutie here, but he did a good job behind a rotten o-line. As for the rest of the guys since Kelly, they're all subpar QBs playing behind subpar linemen. You put Manning behind the Bills line, I think they'd at least be .500 this season.

837163[/snapback]

With Manning this team would be 7-2. He gets NO run support with Addai and their HORRIBLE O-line when it comes to running the ball. Both of their backs can't run behind their line that has been dismantled because of FA. McGahee would look horrible with that line.

Our defense is every bit as good/bad as their's. The difference is Manning would stop the 9 people in the box, burn blitzes, and keep their defense honest.

Watch Brady behind his shoddy line. He just thinks fast and throws the ball. Then when he stands behind the line having enough time to eat a sandwich it's because the D respects him enough to give him the time.

Blitz JP over and over again and he will freeze. Apply extra pressure and he's cooked. QBs do make that much of a difference.

I don't expect JP to be Manning or Brady, I'll be happy with Pennington type performances.

With Manning this team would be 7-2. He gets NO run support with Addai and their HORRIBLE O-line when it comes to running the ball. Both of their backs can't run behind their line that has been dismantled because of FA. McGahee would look horrible with that line.

Except that Addai is currently averaging 4.8 yards/attempt.

Carry on...

The late George Young once said "if you EVER have a chance to draft a franchise qb & dont you will spend the next 10 years regretting it".

837739[/snapback]

...says the man who won a Super Bowl with third-rounder Jeff Hostetler at QB, then let him walk and subsequently wasted their 1993 first-round pick by drafting Dave Brown in the 1992 supplemental draft...

I think it is pretty obvious, if you get the franchise qb, alot of the other stuff usually falls in place.  Got to draft quinn if he is on the board.

837748[/snapback]

Why is Quinn a franchise QB though? I don't think he is, and at least one ND fan on here (Bart) has commented that he wouldn't take Quinn high in the first round. I'd like to hear from other ND fans as well. I just don't think he's accurate enough and as Badol pointed out above, he's very shaky under pressure.

My favorite QB prospect this year (for the draft value) is actually John Beck from BYU. You can probably pick him in the third round because he's only 6'2" but he has an absolute gun, is deadly accurate, and makes quick decisions. Best arm strength in the draft, I think. Gotta see how he plays at Utah (their huge rivalry game) and in their bowl game. If he tears it up in those two games, I think he's the guy I would want the Bills to draft (if they were going to draft a QB at all). He's a much better value than Quinn, who is not a guaranteed stud to be worth taking top 10.