Down goes another GOP talking point

One of the big issues that those against "illegals" have is that they believe they are a drain on the system, and that they're sucking up tax dollars for free health care. From RedState.com: Ca Prop 86; Subsidizing Illegal Aliens!.

It’s a known fact that California’s healthcare system is in shambles and deteriorating at an unbelievable rate. Emergency rooms continue to close and health insurance continues to rise. The number one cause of this problem, one that everyone here knows (but doesn’t talk about at parties), is the enormous number of illegal immigrants who by definition use our social services but rarely contribute to them.

Well, a new Rand study shows that it's just not the case.

Illegal aliens use little healthcare

A Rand Corp. study finds that the amount of federal, state and local tax money spent providing healthcare for illegal immigrants in the United States is small.

The total public spending on healthcare for undocumented aliens between the ages of 18 and 64 comes to $1.1 billion, or about $11 in taxes per U.S. household. Total government spending on healthcare for all adults in the same age group comes to $88 billion.

Eleven dollars!?! Round' em all up!

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the big issues that those against "illegals" have is that they believe they are a drain on the system, and that they're sucking up tax dollars for free health care.  From RedState.com: Ca Prop 86; Subsidizing Illegal Aliens!.

Well, a new Rand study shows that it's just not the case.

Illegal aliens use little healthcare

Eleven dollars!?!  Round' em all up!

836803[/snapback]

And how the hell do you document the health care costs of undocumented people? ;)

And how the hell do you document the health care costs of undocumented people?  ;)

836809[/snapback]

Here's the Rand Corp link.

Researchers developed their estimates by analyzing information collected by the Los Angeles Family Neighborhood Study (LAFANS), which interviewed nearly 2,400 English- and Spanish-speaking adults throughout Los Angeles County during 2000 and 2001. Los Angeles has the largest immigrant community in the United States.

[snip]

Most of the costs for undocumented immigrants' health care were covered by private insurance or out-of-pocket payments, but an estimate $204 million was for publicly supported services. The study found that native-born residents were more likely to use publicly funded services than foreign-born residents.

undocumented aliens between the ages of 18 and 64 comes to $1.1 billion

Yeah, what's a $1.1 bill between friends? ;)

And what's the cost for under 18 and over 64? Interesting ages they picked. I'm willing to bet that statistically it's the under 18 and over 64 that require the most medical attention.

Yeah, what's a $1.1 bill between friends?  :blink:

And what's the cost for under 18 and over 64?  Interesting ages they picked.  I'm willing to bet that statistically it's the under 18 and over 64 that require the most medical attention.

836852[/snapback]

Well, if the concern truly is about illegal immigrants taking 'yer jib, then the under 18 & over 64 aren't likely candidates for that.

Unless the true concern is about the effect the brownies are having on the American culture (whatever that is)

Well, if the concern truly is about illegal immigrants taking 'yer jib, then the under 18 & over 64 aren't likely candidates for that.

Unless the true concern is about the effect the brownies are having on the American culture (whatever that is)

836862[/snapback]

But according to what I quoted it wasn't about them taking ir jibs, it's about the amount of money spent on healthcare for them and those ages require more health care $$ than those in the study. It's not about them takin' yer jib.

But according to what I quoted it wasn't about them taking ir jibs, it's about the amount of money spent on healthcare for them and those ages require more health care $$ than those in the study.  It's not about them takin' yer jib.

836940[/snapback]

And I wouldn't disagree that under 18 and over 65 represent a higher proportion of healthcare costs. But I could have sworn the main argument about illegals is that they keep takin ir jibs. Or are you saying all those workers come here with bags full of kids and parents and drown out the healthcare system, as well?

And I wouldn't disagree that under 18 and over 65 represent a higher proportion of healthcare costs.  But I could have sworn the main argument about illegals is that they keep takin ir jibs.  Or are you saying all those workers come here with bags full of kids and parents and drown out the healthcare system, as well?

837046[/snapback]

You don't live in southern CA do you? Of course that's what I'm saying. You know how many come here pregnant knowing that any child born here becomes a citizen and pretty much guarantees free passage for the whole family? And don't get me started with the overcrowded schools with kids who don't even speak english.

Thank God it's ONLY $1,100,000,000 for people between those ages. How about those kids who are now US citizens who get food stamps, etc??

If you count all the illegals the # probably doubles. Now that's roughly $2,000,000,000. If you count all the tax payers in the country that actually pay taxes it's probably close to 80 million people making each tax payer pay $250 a year on people BREAKING THE LAW.

I would feel better if it went to disabled vets, not to people who are soaking our money. Next time you think $2,000,000,000 is nothing here's a suggestion: pay for it yourself!!!

Because people like myself know it's a sham and a fraud you pay for it you bleeding heart buffoon.

If you count all the illegals the # probably doubles. Now that's roughly $2,000,000,000. If you count all the tax payers in the country that actually pay taxes it's probably close to 80 million people making each tax payer pay $250 a year on people BREAKING THE LAW.

837487[/snapback]

We better stop the whole jail program then, it costs each tax payer a lot of money on people BREAKING THE LAW.