Rochester paper asks:

truth on hold

From the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle

Bills QB J.P. Losman: Another week, another head-shaking lack of productivity. He completed eight passes. Manning completed eight on Indy's two touchdown drives. Once again, Losman was pressured all day. The question is, whatever happened to this kid's supposed athleticism? Why doesn't he scramble out of trouble like we were told he could when he was drafted in the first round?

Really this guy was supposed to be the Great White Hope to Michael Vick. His statuesque performance in the pocket these days makes Bledsoe look like Carl Lewis. They never call QB sneaks when they need short yardage and they rarely roll the guy out. He also rarely makes a play with scrambling. Is the guy hurting or is he being over-coached to stay in the pocket and not move no matter.

From the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle

Bills QB J.P. Losman: Another week, another head-shaking lack of productivity. He completed eight passes. Manning completed eight on Indy's two touchdown drives. Once again, Losman was pressured all day. The question is, whatever happened to this kid's supposed athleticism? Why doesn't he scramble out of trouble like we were told he could when he was drafted in the first round?

Really this guy was supposed to be the Great White Hope to Michael Vick.  His statuesque performance in the pocket these days makes Bledsoe look like Carl Lewis.  They never call QB sneaks when they need short yardage and they rarely roll the guy out. He also rarely makes a play with scrambling.  Is the guy hurting or is he being over-coached to stay in the pocket and not move no matter.

835049[/snapback]

anyone know where the real JP went?

Fairchild is keeping him in the pocket which forces him to read defenses.  I agree though...we should at least see a couple of moving pockets and allow JP to only read half of the field rather than the whole thing.

835069[/snapback]

I would question how much it helps him reading a D a whopping 15 times a game.

I would question how much it helps him reading a D a whopping 15 times a game.

835077[/snapback]

Time to take stop treating JP with kid gloves and start taking aadvantage of what JP's strong points are. They allowed him to thorw the ball more earlier in the season. WTF happened the last 2 games??

Time to take stop treating JP with kid gloves and start taking aadvantage of what JP's strong points are.  They allowed him to thorw the ball more earlier in the season.  WTF happened the last 2 games??

835079[/snapback]

Good question. My thoughts are, if you have that little faith in him to get the job done, sit his ass down and put somebody else in there. I have a hard time believing Nall could be any worse.

Really this guy was supposed to be the Great White Hope to Michael Vick.  His statuesque performance in the pocket these days makes Bledsoe look like Carl Lewis.  They never call QB sneaks when they need short yardage and they rarely roll the guy out. He also rarely makes a play with scrambling.  Is the guy hurting or is he being over-coached to stay in the pocket and not move no matter.

835049[/snapback]

There have been two opinions expressed on this board re:JP over the past 2 years - he needs to stay more in the pocket and we need to make use of his scrambling abilities. JP's experience in Tulane was the latter.

Perhaps Fairchild wants a QB who can pass in the pocket and only take off when the protection breaks down. I believe that he (or the QB coach ?) is drilling the 'stay in the pocket' mentality into JP. Perhaps this season wils be spent in teaching and practicing items which will bear fruit once we get some talent on the OL.

There have been two opinions expressed on this board re:JP over the past 2 years - he needs to stay more in the pocket and we need to make use of his scrambling abilities. JP's experience in Tulane was the latter.

Perhaps Fairchild wants a QB who can pass in the pocket and only take off when the protection breaks down. I believe that he (or the QB coach ?)  is drilling the 'stay in the pocket' mentality into JP. Perhaps this season wils be spent in teaching and practicing items which will bear fruit once we get some talent on the OL.

835092[/snapback]

i think maybe jauron is trying to replicate the bucs team that won the super bowl w/ a cover 2 defense and brad the statue johnson at qb. point is johnson stayed stationary in the pocket because a. there was one and b. he couldn't have moved around even if he wanted to. here the line breaks down quickly and jp was supposed to be able to move.

Really this guy was supposed to be the Great White Hope to Michael Vick.  ....

835049[/snapback]

Great White What?

16 cmpl 40 att - 197 yds 1 TD 2 INT

7 rush 74 yds - 1 Fmb 1 Lost (in redzone, with team trailing by 4 and 5 mins to go)

Yup, that's the guy I want my QB to emulate.

Great White What?

16 cmpl 40 att - 197 yds  1 TD  2 INT

7 rush 74 yds - 1 Fmb 1 Lost (in redzone, with team trailing by 4 and 5 mins to go)

Yup, that's the guy I want my QB to emulate.

835112[/snapback]

you know what i meant, his scrambling ability. still with all that i'd trade jp for vick, straight up

Another thing conspicuously absent in Losman's game is the use of the pump-fake.

Manning, Favre, and Brady both use this manuever extensively to send DE jumping into the air and freezing up DBs, giving the receivers a chance to make a break and get open.

And how about a drop back where the D-line is pulled deep into the back field to set up a screen pass? Not in the play book?

Yeah, I agree. I think he's being over-coached and not being allowd to play his game. The O-line is barely giving him a chance, but even on the plays that they are, he's got to take chances once in a while. It also doesn't help that there's not a starting caliber TE on the roster.

I think Losman is so a-scared of turnovers, he's not being aggressive enough. It's like the receiver has to be wide open to even consider throwing in their direction.

Time to take off the training wheels and see if he can do anything productive in his own style. But I still don't think he can be assessed fairly until he has an offensive line that can be counted on to protect him.

Perhaps Fairchild wants a QB who can pass in the pocket and only take off when the protection breaks down....

835092[/snapback]

That would be pretty much every pass play.

My only guess is that the coaches are trying the same pocket-passer style with the re-vamped OL. If that doesn't work, then who knows. At the very least, they're giving JP every chance (read: the full season) to improve....for what that's worth.

I would say Fairchild...

One other thing...whatever happened to the screen pass?

835072[/snapback]

Screen pass? Nahh - we don't run that here son. Wash your mouth out.

As to JP's mobility, it's hard to be mobile when you are flat on your back... I actually thought the OL did a good job in the running game on Sunday, but the pressure JP saw on limited passing downs wasn't clever.

Pennington has a long way to go to be a proper starting RT. Got beat way too easily for the sack on Sunday - forgot to use his big long arms and looked like his feet were glued to the carpet much of the time in pass pro.

Villarial is a liability. RG remains a position to upgrade this offseason. Actually, the best description of CV is a JAG - just a guy. OK run blocker, terrible pass pro, reaching the end of his career.

Fowler is not impressive. But he doesn't do a lot to frustrate you either.

Gandy is better at guard than LT.

Peters is staying at LT for many years to come. Superb.

On the whole our starting OL does a reasonable job in the run, a horrible job in pass, and suffers from not being able to pick up the blitz, stunts and other OL fundamentals. Mouse McNally starts to be culpable, but at least Jason Peters in in al LT now, and we can build an OL from him. Absolute musts this year are a good OC - a Nick Mangrove type - and a RG.