A Few Thoughts About The Game And The Team

Bill from NYC

And do you think that the playcalling might have something to do with the coaching staff's assessment of Losman's abilities, or lack thereof?

JDG

834825[/snapback]

I think it has to do with the passing game as a whole. This includes, but is not limited to, JP.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, that post was necessary.  :devil:

You say Bills fans dont deserve all this losing and then post some bull sh-- like this?

834203[/snapback]

You are right.

Marv is a nice man who wants the Bills to win. His methods drive me nuts, but the cheap shots were uncalled for.

Apologies to Marv and those I offended.

I think that's the smartest thing you can do. Rookie corners can start right away and don't have much of a learning curve and cost about 200% less than a free agent corner. Plus, it's rare to get busts at corner in the 1st round. And nearly all the starting corners in the league are 1st rounders.

By contrast, you can get serviceable and even star linemen late in the draft or in free agency for not a whole lot of money. Plus, from my own observation, a lot of 1st round linemen seem to be busts (more so than other positions)

If I were a GM, I'd never re-sign a FA corner and use the draft (1st round pick) to pick a corner instead.

834809[/snapback]

According to the logic of your post, it was a good idea to draft Antoine Winfield, and another good idea to avoid offering him an extension. I strongly disagree with that logic.

Consider a team which decides to follow your advice with respect to CBs. Every four years, they draft a new CB to replace the guy who left. (This should sound familiar to Bills fans.) They'll need four first round picks to obtain 16 years of good CB play.

Compare that to using first round picks on quarterbacks. I realize there are a lot of QB busts in the first round. But you also have guys like Carson Palmer and Jim Kelly. Say you need to work your way through three QB busts to get to a Jim Kelly. Kelly's career lasted 13 years. So which would you rather have for your four first round draft picks--16 years of Nate Clements-type play, or 13 years of Jim Kelly play?

If it was up to me, I'd take Jim Kelly. I'd also take a bunch of offensive linemen, and keep them in Buffalo their whole careers. You need continuity at QB, at OL, and at the receiving positions. Build those things first, before you get on the cornerback treadmill you've described.

According to the logic of your post, it was a good idea to draft Antoine Winfield, and another good idea to avoid offering him an extension. I strongly disagree with that logic.

Consider a team which decides to follow your advice with respect to CBs. Every four years, they draft a new CB to replace the guy who left. (This should sound familiar to Bills fans.) They'll need four first round picks to obtain 16 years of good CB play.

Compare that to using first round picks on quarterbacks. I realize there are a lot of QB busts in the first round. But you also have guys like Carson Palmer and Jim Kelly. Say you need to work your way through three QB busts to get to a Jim Kelly. Kelly's career lasted 13 years. So which would you rather have for your four first round draft picks--16 years of Nate Clements-type play, or 13 years of Jim Kelly play?

If it was up to me, I'd take Jim Kelly. I'd also take a bunch of offensive linemen, and keep them in Buffalo their whole careers. You need continuity at QB, at OL, and at the receiving positions. Build those things first, before you get on the cornerback treadmill you've described.

835352[/snapback]

I think the Eagles follow my strategy. They draft corners early and often in the draft and I believe it has worked very well for them.

I don't disagree that you need good OL and QB's, etc. I just think you get the best bang for your buck going corner early in the draft and using FA or late-round picks for the other positions.

I think that's the smartest thing you can do. Rookie corners can start right away and don't have much of a learning curve and cost about 200% less than a free agent corner. Plus, it's rare to get busts at corner in the 1st round.

J.D. Williams, anyone? More recently: Ahmad Carroll, Phillip Buchanon, Jamar Fletcher, Willie Middlebrooks.

And nearly all the starting corners in the league are 1st rounders.

Except for the corners on the last two Super Bowl champions. Interesting coincidence.

Steelers: Ike Taylor, Deshea Townsend (both 4th rd)

Pats: Randall Gay (UDFA), Asante Samuel (4th)

By contrast, you can get serviceable and even star linemen late in the draft or in free agency for not a whole lot of money. Plus, from my own observation, a lot of 1st round linemen seem to be busts (more so than other positions)

If I were a GM, I'd never re-sign a FA corner and use the draft (1st round pick) to pick a corner instead.

This analysis from drafthistory.com - one of BfNYC's favorite websites, if you hadn't guessed - would seem to differ with that conclusion.

I agree with everything except that our management is losing us games. We are losing now but we werent supposed to win. THIS IS A REBUILDING SEASON.

834182[/snapback]

You are correct! And even the most delusional fans out there that had us going, say 13-3 this season, had Sunday's contest against the Colts chalked up as a loss. Yet, we almost pulled off the upset...