A Few Thoughts About The Game And The Team

Bill from NYC

1) Running the football on 3rd and long was cute the first 90 times. After that, it left me scratching my head as to how our little head coach was able to graduate from an Ivy League school.

2) Pennington is going to be a problem because he a a deficiency. He plays next to CV who is perhaps a worse deficiency. NFL teams are able to exploit deficiencies. Hurry up Grandpa Marv....draft a 1st round corner!

3) This is not a wisecrack....just a question: Was Whitner regarded coming out of college as a "physical player" or a "big hitter?" Good Lord.

4) Nate Clements takes a ton of heat on this board, but he is one of THE most athletic players in the NFL.

5) I didn't want it to happen, but Jauron is starting to sicken me.

6) I don't like to give out my telephone number on the internet, but please PM me the next time Whitner make a timely hit against someone who is a male, and not living with him. This WAS a wisecrack.

7) It is painful to watch TKO. Hurry up Grandpa Marv....draft another 1st round safety!

8) I want to tackle the "JP has a cannon" issue. He does, but NOT in the traditional sense. He has a friggin explosive arm when throwing short to mid range passes. That said, he really could use a tall possession receiver. JP CAN thread the needle. He is a modern day Joe Theisman. Take from this what you wish.

9) McGee is a monster. Kudos to Crowell too!

10) I hope at some point, someone will rescue the great people of WNY and the greatest fans of any team in any sport from the poor management that is causing us to lose football games.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The right side is completely pathetic Bill. They were the reason for the 50,000,000 draw plays today. Clements has gotten better lately and yes Daquixers, resign him Marv, even if it only means not drafting a 1st round corner. Hell, I'd be happy with a guard at pick #10 over a corner replacing Nasty Nate. Our line holds back what plays we can call( that's why so many play calling complaints) and JP's progression, although in other games there has been plenty of blame for him as well. Lastly, agree on Whitner, but believe we'll see what he is good at when (if) we field an offense that can get us some leads once in a while.

The right side is completely pathetic Bill. They were the reason for the 50,000,000 draw plays today. Clements has gotten better lately and yes Daquixers, resign him Marv, even if it only means not drafting a 1st round corner. Hell, I'd be happy with a guard at pick #10 over a corner replacing Nasty Nate. Our line holds back what plays we can call( that's why so many play calling complaints) and JP's progression, although in other games there has been plenty of blame for him as well. Lastly, agree on Whitner, but believe we'll see what he is good at when (if) we field an offense that can get us some leads once in a while.

833947[/snapback]

As long as Grandpa Al Lewis is the GM of the Buffalo Bills, I do not expect anything other than 1st round DBs, incoherence, senility, and idiocy.

As long as Grandpa Al Lewis is the GM of the Buffalo Bills, I do not expect anything other than 1st round DBs, incoherence, senility, and idiocy.

834097[/snapback]

Because one draft sets the tone for his entire freaking career.

Bill, I understand that you wanted him to take more offensive lineman in lats year's draft, but dude, you're getting extremely overzealous on the draft and are saying stupid crap.

Because one draft sets the tone for his entire freaking career.

Bill, I understand that you wanted him to take more offensive lineman in lats year's draft, but dude, you're getting extremely overzealous on the draft and are saying stupid crap.

834119[/snapback]

I never insisted that you agree with me, right?

Watch and see. <_<

7) It is painful to watch TKO. Hurry up Grandpa Marv....draft another 1st round safety!

Absolutely. Unfortunately, his career looks like it's on the demise from the achilles injury. It's sad because he was once a great playmaker.

1) Running the football on 3rd and long was cute the first 90 times. After that, it left me scratching my head as to how our little head coach was able to graduate from an Ivy League school.

Agreed. running a draw on 3rd anf long when deep in your own zone is fine. But occasionally, you may actually hafta attempt a pass to convert a 3rd down to win a ball game.

2) Pennington is going to be a problem because he a a deficiency. He plays next to CV who is perhaps a worse deficiency. NFL teams are able to exploit deficiencies.

Well, do we have anything else.Pennington is a 7th rounder, so its kind of expected, but CV is a problem. The guy was a solid OL, but is frankly too old and his skills have declined too much.

3) This is not a wisecrack....just a question: Was Whitner regarded coming out of college as a "physical player" or a "big hitter?" Good Lord.

i could be wrong, but i thought whitner was taken more for his athleticism than his hard hitting ability. I believe he can play safety or corner

4) Nate Clements takes a ton of heat on this board, but he is one of THE most athletic players in the NFL.

Agreed. I have been against overpaying him, but i am starting to think we need to pay him the bucks because 1) he's been playing good recently, and 2)we cant afford to create any more holes on our team to fill.

8) I want to tackle the "JP has a cannon" issue. He does, but NOT in the traditional sense. He has a friggin explosive arm when throwing short to mid range passes.  That said, he really could use a tall possession receiver. JP CAN thread the needle. He is a modern day Joe Theisman. Take from this what you wish.

Agreed here too. We definitely need a big physical #2 wideout. This will provide a big target, and allow Evans to roam free. However, a WR of this type can usually be had fairly easy via FA.

10) I hope at some point, someone will rescue the great people of WNY and the greatest fans of any team in any sport from the poor management that is causing us to lose football games.

Agreed. As buffalo fans, are we in sports purgatory? it sure seems that way.

834097[/snapback]

Yah, that post was necessary. <_<

You say Bills fans dont deserve all this losing and then post some bull sh-- like this?

A few positives from this game:

1. The defense held the Colts' offense to ten net points

2. Anthony Thomas rushed for over 100 yards, with a very respectable 3.9 yards per carry. This, despite the fact the Colts probably knew they had to worry a lot more about the running game than the passing game.

3. Terrence McGee was responsible for ten points (fumble return for TD, and big return to set up the FG).

4. The Bills won the turnover battle 2-0.

5. The Bills only lost to the Colts by one point. That's a lot better than most of us expected.

Now the negatives:

1. The offense produced only six points.

2. Losman was held to under 100 yards passing. Attribute that to Losman, to pass protection, to receivers, or to the coaches' lack of faith in any of the first three. But if you play Peyton Manning, you need more than 83 passing yards.

3. The Bills lost.

834097[/snapback]

There is a big young receiver out of Transylvania State...Herm Munster...

But if you play Peyton Manning, you need more than 83 passing yards.

834223[/snapback]

The Colts have won two games by 1 point this year. In those games, the QBs have tossed for 63 yards (Vince Young) and 83 yards (Losman). That's 146 yards in two games, the only two games the Colts have come close to losing. So I think this statement is pretty shaky at best.

A few positives from this game:

1. The defense held the Colts' offense to ten net points

2. Anthony Thomas rushed for over 100 yards, with a very respectable 3.9 yards per carry. This, despite the fact the Colts probably knew they had to worry a lot more about the running game than the passing game.

3. Terrence McGee was responsible for ten points (fumble return for TD, and big return to set up the FG).

4. The Bills won the turnover battle 2-0.

5. The Bills only lost to the Colts by one point. That's a lot better than most of us expected.

Now the negatives:

1. The offense produced only six points.

2. Losman was held to under 100 yards passing. Attribute that to Losman, to pass protection, to receivers, or to the coaches' lack of faith in any of the first three. But if you play Peyton Manning, you need more than 83 passing yards.

3. The Bills lost.

834223[/snapback]

2 questions...

1. Why is A-train's 3.9 YPC respectable, but Willis's 3.9 YPC sh-------?

2. (this isnt a comment on his skills, nor my opinion) If our coaching staff has so little faith in Losman, why the hell are they still starting him?

Bill, I've posted this thought before but it's worth posting again: I think something is fundamentally wrong with the scouting staff that is evaluating our OL talent. Look at what we've done in the past 11 drafts since the year we took Ruben Brown in the 1st round:

1996, 6th rd: Dusty Zeigler

1997, 4th rd: Jamie Nails

1997, 6th rd: Marcus Spriggs

1998, 3rd rd: Robert Hicks

1998, 7th rd: Victor Allotey

2001, 3rd rd: Jonas Jennings

2001, 5th rd: Marques Sullivan

2002, 1st rd: Mike Williams

2002, 7th rd: Mike Pucillo

2003, 5th rd: Ben Sobieski

2004, 7th rd: Dylan McFarland

2005, 4th rd: Duke Preston

2005, 6th rd: Justin Geisinger

2006, 5th rd: Brad Butler

2006, 7th rd: Terrence Pennington

2006, 7th rd: Aaron Merz

Not good! Although, yes, certainly there are other contributing factors that have made the Buffalo Bills OL consistently among the worst in the league in the past decade:

1. We don't draft OL early and often enough

2. Too much coaching turnover on the offensive side of the ball

3. Crappy QB play since Kelly retired

I would have also added that our GM's have been terrible in finding free agent OL talent, but I think a large part of that is because most quality linemen don't ever reach free agency...and when they do, their price tag becomes way too much to invest in any 1 player.

Also, take note that - perhaps not coincidentally - since 1995 (when Ruben was drafted) the Buffalo Bills offense has been consistently among the bottom 3rd of the league (with the exception of the first 8 games in 2002). 1995 was also the last year the Bills won a division and a playoff game.

My conclusion: Levy prides himself in saying that as soon as you start listening to the fans, you end up joining them. But us Bills fans have been crying about this OL problem for the past decade, and maybe this offseason Levy should make this 1 exception to his motto.