Now that the Dems rule the Senate & Congress....

OnTheRocks

Now that those money hungry Oil Co. crony Republicans are out of office, I for one can't wait to see the price of gas fall back to $1.20 a gallon!

Afterall,....it was the Democrats that have all the answers for the high fuel costs.

Now that those money hungry Oil Co. crony Republicans are out of office, I for one can't wait to see the price of gas fall back to $1.20 a gallon!

Afterall,....it was the Democrats that have all the answers for the high fuel costs.

832199[/snapback]

I've heard several of the say, now that they're in office, that it'll take time... <_<

I've heard several of the say, now that they're in office, that it'll take time...  <_<

832201[/snapback]

What they mean is, of course, that they don't get power until January, so it'll take until then.

After all, as soon as they take office, oil prices will adjust and come straight down. ;P

These next two years should be interesting. There may be some issues that could achieve bipartisan support. I also suspect that W will start thinking more about his legacy. That could lead him to get together with democrats on immigration and some other issues.

Ultimately, his legacy is going to be what happens with Iraq. Once the Baker report comes out, there are going to be some interesting discussions taking place both in and out of the White House.

Regarding the Dems, it always is easier to be in the stands criticizing what is happening. The Dems now have control over one branch of government. With power comes responsibility. It will be interesting to see how they use their power.

I suspect that, in the end, the next two years are going to be mostly about both parties trying to keep/get the White House.

I suspect that, in the end, the next two years are going to be mostly about both parties trying to keep/get the White House.

832453[/snapback]

Yep. The next 2 years are going to be the Dems claiming they are trying to pass their reforms but the president is holding them back. In early 2008 the Congressional investigations will start to get more numerous and nasty

Republicans will run on how ineffective the Congress has been and how they are needed to check the liberal agenda

Yep.  The next 2 years are going to be the Dems claiming they are trying to pass their reforms but the president is holding them back.  In early 2008 the Congressional investigations will start to get more numerous and nasty

Republicans will run on how ineffective the Congress has been and how they are needed to check the liberal agenda

832500[/snapback]

I'd be inclined to disagree with you here. It doesn't make sense for the Democrats to attempt investigations from a political perspective.

It alienates everyone but the most hardcore Democrats, and I believe that given the Democrats attempting to move toward the center in order to win elections (like they did this past year), they won't attempt congressional investigations.

Of course, this is from a strategic political point of view. If the Democrats don't care about keeping power (something I don't believe), then its possible they'll do congressional investigations.

I'd be inclined to disagree with you here.  It doesn't make sense for the Democrats to attempt investigations from a political perspective.

It alienates everyone but the most hardcore Democrats, and I believe that given the Democrats attempting to move toward the center in order to win elections (like they did this past year), they won't attempt congressional investigations.

Of course, this is from a strategic political point of view.  If the Democrats don't care about keeping power (something I don't believe), then its possible they'll do congressional investigations.

832575[/snapback]

In the near future you are right it doesn't make sense. But this is Congress we're talking about. The touchy feely bipartisanship of Nov 2006 will eventually devolve into partisan bickering and investigations

In the near future you are right it doesn't make sense.  But this is Congress we're talking about.  The touchy feely bipartisanship of Nov 2006 will eventually devolve into partisan bickering and investigations

832576[/snapback]

The problem is that the next election is 2008, and its not as though the Democrats have a huge hold over the country right now.

When Bush leaves office (2008) is when the Democrats would have a chance to solidify their hold on Congress enough to get away with it.

Therefore, for political reasons, they aint gonna do it.

In your post, you imply that Congress is outside of control of the party and that they can do their own thing. Thats not a correct view - they better listen to what Howie "Yeahhhhh" Dean wants if they want to be supported by the party.

In the short term the price will go up as the oil companies try to squeeze as much as they can out of consumers before the Democrats investigate their secret energy meetings with the administration and provide more support for alternative energy.

832476[/snapback]

Like carbon monoxide fuel for cars. It can be done. You put something like a weber grill in the back seat or trunk and with some tubing and duct tape you're gasoline free!