JP vs The Excuse Factory

mike1011

So if you add 10,000 posts to my name it makes sense? Either what I said makes sense or it doesn't. The quantitative degree of posts doesn't make anyone right or wrong.

I can discuss football with or without a lot of posts on this board. I was with the standard buffalobills.com board until it became a board full of juveniles. From what I see, people can actually discuss football on this board (well, most of the time).

826427[/snapback]

Welcome aboard man

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should I be gushiing over 169 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT?

Call it not sold yet, not anti-Losman. You are on the wrong critique if you can find where I said I'm anti-Losman. I'm on the "I'm not sold by one good game" type.

Call me crazy, but Ryan Leaf had shown as much. I'm being cautiously optimistic, but not drooling.

849183[/snapback]

I cant buy the Leaf comparison, but DO NOT feel bad about still being skepical about JP. He has shown improvement and the ability to make the tough play. That last throw of his is proof of that. But hes not 'there' yet.

But hes getting close....

Well, if nothing else, the last two wins should buy JP a temporary reprieve for the constant barrage of slams he's endured on these boards... at least until the next game. Doubt if it will though, you can't please everyone.

If you were a GM would you really watch that game and say, "Wow!!! We have a great starter for our future!!!" I wouldn't, I would still be cautiously optimistic for the future. I hope for his success, but if Flutie-like performances are enough to be a good QB in this league is enough than you have lowered the bar way too low.

848641[/snapback]

If I was the GM I would be thrilled. The kid is learning to win and building confidence while throwing well.

Fill your glass son. It's only half empty.

If you were a GM would you really watch that game and say, "Wow!!! We have a great starter for our future!!!" I wouldn't, I would still be cautiously optimistic for the future. I hope for his success, but if Flutie-like performances are enough to be a good QB in this league is enough than you have lowered the bar way too low.

848641[/snapback]

If I were a GM, I probably would be a bit more patient with the talent that I see every day in practice and on film.

Kind of a nice turnaround of a thread that started like this:

It's time for him to learn and try our other options or expend the rest of the team, alienate the offensive players who want stats for contractual reasons, and see our full options.

Nall might not be the answer, but we have to see. If he doesn't we go back to status quo. I believe this should happen after Indy next week. To me it's low-risk with potential high rewards.

Should I be gushiing over 169 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT?

849183[/snapback]

No, but I think you should be looking at more than just basic stats. Sometimes the numbers don't matter. Ask Roethlisberger.

The fact is, JP has made the necessary plays to pull out last-second wins in two straight weeks. Yes, there have been things that JP did (or didn't do) to put the team in the "last-second" position to begin with, but what I'm seeing is a QB is learning from mistakes, gaining confidence, and making a beliver out of his teammates.

All things that weren't there even a month ago.

If JP can play like he has the last two weeks for the rest of the season, I couldn't care less if he throws for less than 200 yards. He's officially progressing.

Hey 6 posts but I'll still back you!!

You hit on some obvious points.  The big problem as i said during the game day thread is he is not getting better.  He is staying stagnant at his ability to read NFL defenses (plus holding onto the ball too long) while the NFL defensive masterminds have gotten better at making him look like a 1st start rookie.  That's why he looked pretty good early in the year and now looks worse than Gradkowski.

By the way,  i realize Big Ben lost yesterday but his O-line was getting killed and he was scrambling around making plays all over the place for like 400+ yds.  I don't need to see JP throw for 400 yds but i want to see him using his legs and brain to make stuff happen when things break down.  He did nothing yesterday to make me feel any better about his ability.  I'm still rooting for him.

826516[/snapback]

Are you kidding me? JP's not getting nay better? Wow, watch a game before you comment.

The Bills as a TEAM aren't "there yet."  That last Jax drive was proof of that.  But what we've seen out of JP shows that if you surround him with decent talent, and I'm not ready to call what he has around him outside of Jason, Lee and Willis "decent talent," he'll be a guy that can win you games.

849398[/snapback]

The first part of the season I blamed Steve Fairchild. He has opened up the playbook more and got rid of the 7 step drop and rolls out more now and voila ! JP is playing better. Imagine that.

But he still went Mularky on that 3rd and 2 playcall and called a pass which was blocked. Drive killer. He needs to stop stopping himself. on 3rd and short, run left and get the two yards.

we could have drew brees as our qb and some people would still B word .

849421[/snapback]

When do you see anyone complaining here? I'm saying we should cautious enthusiasm before there is any anointing.

Sure his stats weren't great but he finished well, but by no means would I consider that a good performance. My hope as a fan is that he's at least a 190-200 yards a game with a 2:1 TD to Int ratio with a minimum of 24 TDs a year.

That's not Brees-like #s, it's asking for a good stable aspect of the game which is the most important on the offense. Call me crazy for not going nuts over watching a rather pedestrian performance, although much better so he is progressing. I'm happy for the progress, but certainly not sold.

Well, if nothing else, the last two wins should buy JP a temporary reprieve for the constant barrage of slams he's endured on these boards... at least until the next game. Doubt if it will though, you can't please everyone.

849273[/snapback]

No kidding. There's some guy comparing him to Ryan Leaf in this thread. :doh: