Prediction time

House D: 220, R: 215...if northeast Rs go down early (Johnson, Simmons, Bass, Philly-area, upstate NYers, etc), R losses could be in the 30s

Senate R: 52 (Burns (miracle), Allen and Talent hang on, Santorum, DeWine, Chaffee lose) D: 48 (Ford loses in TN, Menendez wins NJ)

House D: 220, R: 215...if northeast Rs go down early (Johnson, Simmons, Bass, Philly-area, upstate NYers, etc), R losses could be in the 30s

Senate R: 52 (Burns (miracle), Allen and Talent hang on, Santorum, DeWine, Chaffee lose) D: 48 (Ford loses in TN, Menendez wins NJ)

822820[/snapback]

It's a lock: Republicans will retain control of both houses.

It's a lock: Republicans will retain control of both houses.

822860[/snapback]

Agreed. Money + incumbency + gerrymandered districts + superior ground game = status quo. The Dems should be commended for making as many races as they have competitive, ie GOP strongholds like Wyoming, Idaho and Texas. But the GOP is a cornered dog with tons of money at it's disposal, and quite frankly a ton of stuff that they would rather not come to light. Losing isn't an option for them.

Agreed.  Money + incumbency + gerrymandered districts + superior ground game = status quo.  The Dems should be commended for making as many races as they have competitive, ie GOP strongholds like Wyoming, Idaho and Texas.  But the GOP is a cornered dog with tons of money at it's disposal, and quite frankly a ton of stuff that they would rather not come to light.  Losing isn't an option for them.

822874[/snapback]

Oh and Soros the atheisy and the Hollywood elite don't give millions and millions and millions to the Demorats? The Republicans will win because America hates fags and we don't want to be killed by terrorist or cut and run from our war against terrorism in Iraq. These polls from the liberal media mean nothing

Oh and Soros the atheisy and the Hollywood elite don't give millions and millions and millions to the Demorats? The Republicans will win because America hates fags and we don't want to be killed by terrorist or cut and run from our war against terrorism in Iraq. These polls from the liberal media mean nothing

822936[/snapback]

I'm not disagreeing that a lot of money went the Dems way. But it is a documented fact that the GOP raised more. That's not a partisan attack, or a biased observation. It's been written about by all media outlets, both conservative and liberal. Money buys you ad time. Money helps you man phone banks. Money helps your GOTV and ground game. The GOP has more of it. Your boy Karl Rove stated that almost word-for-word when he was interviewed about his optimism on retaining control.

The rest of your post is gibberish, and I've already stated in multiple posts that the national polls mean nothing.

I'm not disagreeing that a lot of money went the Dems way.  But it is a documented fact that the GOP raised more.  That's not a partisan attack, or a biased observation.  It's been written about by all media outlets, both conservative and liberal.  Money buys you ad time.  Money helps you man phone banks.  Money helps your GOTV and ground game.  The GOP has more of it.  Your boy Karl Rove stated that almost word-for-word when he was interviewed about his optimism on retaining control.

The rest of your post is gibberish, and I've already stated in multiple posts that the national polls mean nothing.

822947[/snapback]

But...but...but...George Soros! :angry::P:P

I'm not disagreeing that a lot of money went the Dems way.  But it is a documented fact that the GOP raised more.  That's not a partisan attack, or a biased observation.  It's been written about by all media outlets, both conservative and liberal.  Money buys you ad time.  Money helps you man phone banks.  Money helps your GOTV and ground game.  The GOP has more of it.  Your boy Karl Rove stated that almost word-for-word when he was interviewed about his optimism on retaining control.

822947[/snapback]

I was looking at a breakdown of this a couple of weeks ago in the Times - in the battleground states, the Dems have out gained or kept pace with the Republicans for the first time in a long time as far as fund raising goes.

The overall totals, though, are still heavily favoring the Republicans like you said.

I think the Senate is headed for a 50-50 tie right now. This leaves the Republicans in power with Cheney casting the dividing vote.

Breakdown of close races:

1.) New Jersey - Lots of recent polls have Menendez with a 5% or so lead. While its in the MoE, if you have multiple polls saying the same thing, its a good bet that it is indeed the case. Democrats take this one.

2.) Viginia - This thing is almost exactly tied, with half the polls showing a slight lead for Webb and the other have for Allen. With Allen being the incumbent and a Republican, I'll believe it when I see it. Republicans take it.

3.) Tennessee - Another close race, but Corker is still barely holding on. He's up most likely by 2-3% points right now, as multiple polls are confirming. Republicans take this one as well.

4.) Missouri - McCaskill's got a few polls confirming that she's up by a few percentage points over Talent. McCaskill picked up the all important Kansas City Star endorsement and she today picked up an endorsement from a large hunters club, a rarity for a Democrat. Democrats take this one.

5.) Montana - Ever since August, Tester's been out in the lead in this race by several percentage points in multiple polls. Unless something drastic happens, he takes Montana.

Therefore, we have Republicans - 50, Democrats (incl IND) - 50. Cheney casts the tie breaking vote.

House - 220 Dems, 215 GOP is how I think its looking right now.

Don't forget all the dead Republicans voting in Chicago. And all the road blocks for those disenfranchised folks, too.

I SMELL SWEEP!!! :angry:

822896[/snapback]

and don't forget the Republicans 'discouraging' voters in minority neighborhoods.

I think TPS and the boys are just going with the reverse jinx. :P

My prediction: GOP by +1 in both houses

Senate

51 Republicans. Allen and Talent keep their seats

47 Democrats. Pickup PA, OH, MT, RI

2 Independants: VT, CT

In reality both Independants are Democrats. So the Dem's pick up 4 seats but fall 2 short of winning the Senate

House

Too many close seats to say which party will win control. All politics are local and I'm only familiar with 4 Congressional districts (VA02, VA03, VA04, PA3)

My guess is whichever party wins it won't have much of a majority, something like 220-215

Don't forget all the dead Republicans voting in Chicago. And all the road blocks for those disenfranchised folks, too.

I SMELL SWEEP!!! :D

822896[/snapback]

I resent the implication that the Daley's are going to be busy stuffing the ballots for the house and the senate. If anything, they will be stuffing the ballots for the Governors race here in Illinois!

Senate

51 Republicans.  Allen and Talent keep their seats

47 Democrats.  Pickup PA, OH, MT, RI

2 Independants: VT, CT

In reality both Independants are Democrats.  So the Dem's pick up 4 seats but fall 2 short of winning the Senate

House

Too many close seats to say which party will win control.  All politics are local and I'm only familiar with 4 Congressional districts (VA02, VA03, VA04, PA3)

My guess is whichever party wins it won't have much of a majority, something like 220-215

823396[/snapback]

You know, it's not like it matters. For a while now, I've been vacillating between fearing what would happen if the Republicans kept Congress ("more of the same"), and if the Democrats won Congress (you think the Clinton impeachment was a circus, wait 'til a Democratic House and Senate tee off on Bush). But then I realized that, no matter who controls Congress, the administration is going to continue to do what it's done for the past six years: ignore Congress and do whatever the hell it wants. So who cares who wins?

They're all money-grubbing leeches, anyway. The American public takes it up the ass no matter who wins.

You know, it's not like it matters.  For a while now, I've been vacillating between fearing what would happen if the Republicans kept Congress ("more of the same"), and if the Democrats won Congress (you think the Clinton impeachment was a circus, wait 'til a Democratic House and Senate tee off on Bush).  But then I realized that, no matter who controls Congress, the administration is going to continue to do what it's done for the past six years: ignore Congress and do whatever the hell it wants.  So who cares who wins?

They're all money-grubbing leeches, anyway.  The American public takes it up the ass no matter who wins.

823448[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more

Senate 52R/46D/2I

House 223D/212R

Let me be the first to introduce SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE, and 3rd IN LINE TO THE PRESIDENCY....NANCY PELOSI!!!!!!!!

Let the endless investigations begin.

823542[/snapback]

Don't be so melodramatic. :D

The investigations won't be endless. They'll only last until January 2009 :w00t:

Not sure about final numbers, but I think Webb wins in Virginia, Corker wins in Tennessee and Talent/McCaskill is unpredictable.

823559[/snapback]

I agree Corker will likely win Tennessee but I also think Allen and Talent hold their seats. Incumbancy is a powerful tool for a politician and in Allen's case he's a Republican running in a red state