Jonas Jennings

BobbyC81

It's been interesting listening to local SF Bay Area sports radio with discussions on why the Forty-Niners still stink.

One thing that surprises me is al the talk about how disappointing Jonas Jennings has been.

It makes me wonder about the adequacy of some pro scouting and how much homework the Niners staff did on Jennings. They believed he was going to anchor their O-line at Left tackle for years to come. They seem surpised at his injuries and unwillingness to play with them.

Head coach Mike Nolan was recently quoted as saying that Jennings needs to be 100% to be effective.

Sure us Bills fans follow the team more closely than other people across the country but how could the Niners' management not know Jennings was injury-prone throughout his time with the Bills???

I seem to remember preferring when Jonas wouldn't play with his injuries.  When he tried it was REALLY ugly.  The guy is good for about 5 games a season if he's lucky.

820755[/snapback]

I would say 8. When he was in, hell, he looked pretty damn good. That's when we thought our line was setting up perfectly. We had Jonas Jennings and Mike Williams as book ends.

Jonas is a good player, when he's healthy. I was dissapointed when he left, but at what the niners are paying him Im glad we didnt throw that kind of cash at him. At least he was good enough to steal a  big pay day for himself.

820792[/snapback]

That's a little better.

how could the Niners' management not know Jennings was injury-prone throughout his time with the Bills???

820700[/snapback]

There really is no such thing as injury-proned. There are players that get hurt each and every week and play with the pain. Injury-proned is just a polite way of saying the guy isn't that tough and just won't play through the pain of his injuries.

It makes me wonder about the adequacy of some pro scouting and how much homework the Niners staff did on Jennings.

Sure us Bills fans follow the team more closely than other people across the country but how could the Niners' management not know Jennings was injury-prone throughout his time with the Bills???

820700[/snapback]

You bring up a good point. It often seem like teams make moves (like FA signings and trades) that fans think are crazy. Remember Benny Anderson? Ravens fans thought TD and company were nuts for giving him good money.

I think each team should hire 31 diehard (football-smart) fans -- one for each of the other teams.

Mamybe I'm giving fans way too much credit, but most of knew JJ was going to be a bust in SF long before his first injury there.

You bring up a good point. It often seem like teams make moves (like FA signings and trades) that fans think are crazy. Remember Benny Anderson? Ravens fans thought TD and company were nuts for giving him good money.

821046[/snapback]

I don't blame TD for taking a chance on him because you never know, he may just need a change of scenery and seeing as how it was only the Ravens fans that thought it was crazy, you never know. I do however believe the Fins are nuts for taking him after getting to see him twice a year and now having Ravens and Bills fans giving the same comments on his play.

In the Dolphins defense, (I can't believe I'm doing this!) weren't they losing ORG's left and right and center? I think 27 players ended up on I.R.! O.K., slight exaggeration, but I remember them being just a little bit DESPERATE, and Bennie Anderson sure fits THAT description!!!

There really is no such thing as injury-proned.  There are players that get hurt each and every week and play with the pain.  Injury-proned is just a polite way of saying the guy isn't that tough and just won't play through the pain of his injuries.

821017[/snapback]

Of course there is no medical definition or term injury prone, but I think it is a useful football term for describing a certain type of ability to lose playing time in a particular way which includes the ability to play through pain,

I do not view calling someone injury prone as polite at all since often I judge a player to be injury prone because he is a weenie who cannot play through the wide variety of boo-boos which are part and parcel of playing through the NFL.

I label a player as injury prone when he loses time to injuries to three or more different parts of his body.

I would not judge a player who blows out a knee and then has recurring injuries to that same knee as being injury prone, his knee simply did not heel adequately for whatever reason.

I would not judge a player who loses time with a bum knee and then after healing then goes down with a concussion or some other injury to a different part of his body.

Injuries simply happen in this game and unfortunately some of them are bad. A second injury which causes lost PT may simply be a coincidence and just bad luck.

However, i think injury prone is a good way to describe a player such as Jennings or Rob Johnson as they not only lost significant time, but lost it to a whole set of different injuries. In his final year as a Bill JJ started 14 of 16 games, but add to these two misses, he also failed to finish (I think missing the final quarter + each time) 2 other games meaning he missed significant time in 1/4 of the games that season.

He went down with a bad leg, a concussion, an upper body injury and I do not know what else. I think it is a good football distinction to use a different phrase like injury prone to distinguish him from players like McGahee who suffered a far worse injury in college, but showed how diligent he was when he was able to do a public workout within weeks as part of his effort to get picked in the 1st round. The Bills docs were not fooled by this workout and gauged he would need at least a full year off before he could stand the hitting of football, but they also correctly judged that despite the widespread trauma of the injury, all the tears were clean and could be repaired with hard work and a careful regimen.

I think the phrase injury prone embodies that distinction,

I seem to remember preferring when Jonas wouldn't play with his injuries.  When he tried it was REALLY ugly.  The guy is good for about 5 games a season if he's lucky.

820755[/snapback]

I would say 8. When he was in, hell, he looked pretty damn good. That's when we thought our line was setting up perfectly. We had Jonas Jennings and Mike Williams as book ends.

820787[/snapback]

5 games? 8 games? uhm, guys ... the most ammount of games he ever missed for us was 5. He had seasons of missing 4 games, 1 game, 5 games, and 2 games. So the figure (averaged) should really be that he is good for about 13 games (with the Bills anyway)

5 games? 8 games? uhm, guys ... the most ammount of games he ever missed for us was 5. He had seasons of missing 4 games, 1 game, 5 games, and 2 games. So the figure (averaged) should really be that he is good for about 13 games (with the Bills anyway)

821794[/snapback]

How many games did he come out of because he was injured?