Doormats yet again, let's face it already

Cornerville

This team is garbage, YET again...what a suprise...and will it get better? probably not...as the cap escalates faster, the Bills will fall farther and farther behind the NFL.

Jauron to me just does not look like a winner. Neither does JP, who does not have the intangibles to be a consistent winning QB IMO.

The offense and defense are built for warm weather climates...funny...last time I checked, Buffalo was a cold weather city.

I do not care about NFL Draft projections....about Mort's reaches etc...I do not care about articles in June about how this guy looks good...Jauron has the team going in the right direction etc...I am not reading ANY more articles, posts, anything about this crap Buffalo Bills franchise until they prove it on Sundays...PERIOD.

This team is garbage, YET again...what a suprise...and will it get better?  probably not...as the cap escalates faster, the Bills will fall farther and farther behind the NFL.

Jauron to me just does not look like a winner.  Neither does JP, who does not have the intangibles to be a consistent winning QB IMO.

The offense and defense are built for warm weather climates...funny...last time I checked, Buffalo was a cold weather city.

I do not care about NFL Draft projections....about Mort's reaches etc...I do not care about articles in June about how this guy looks good...Jauron has the team going in the right direction etc...I am not reading ANY more articles, posts, anything about this crap Buffalo Bills franchise until they prove it on Sundays...PERIOD.

819053[/snapback]

I guess. :P

This team is garbage, YET again...what a suprise...and will it get better?  probably not...as the cap escalates faster, the Bills will fall farther and farther behind the NFL.

Jauron to me just does not look like a winner.  Neither does JP, who does not have the intangibles to be a consistent winning QB IMO.

819053[/snapback]

I'm not sure I agree as primarily due to the Fins rather than doormats, I think that the Bills are actually that plastic thing at the bottom of the door which keeps the cold air out and the warm air in which rides above the door mat.

I disagree also with your pessimistic view since it is actually the restricted size of the cap which levels the platying field and as it gets larger the monetary distance will spread and if we become more like baseball, though teams which spend a lot do have an advantage, this crutch also makes GMs lazy and more focused on their cash advantage than making good judgments. In baseball you have examples like the Yankees whose cash advantage always makes them competitive, but has not resulted in a WS win in a while and teams like Oakland have produced similar results consistently with lowball budgets.

Closer to home in football, it is pretty clear that the seemingly infinite money of the Skims has not translated into always good (if not ever good) play so I do not think that your increasing cap argument is justified by the actual events.

I also have been disappointed by Jauron who I do not think has put his players into a scheme which allows them to perform better. I think a better scheme for the players will not make this team a playoff team and good schemes do not turn bad players into good ones. Yet, i think we might have another vicotory or two if this team were not so hidebound committed to things like the Cover 2 which are safeties are not experienced enough to play well. The scheme problems mostly have me disappointed in Jauron who i think would be a better HC if he were more flexible in his approach. However, i would not condemn him to a certainty of future failure as the lessons of losing may help him change.

JP also has not impressed yet, but contractually we are in no position to give up on him this year and likely next so why worry about this until off-season. To pull the plug now would be simply foolish.

The warm weather theory seems fairly unsupported to me and amounts to little more than fact free opinion without some detailed argument.

Jauron to me just does not look like a winner. Neither does JP, who does not have the intangibles to be a consistent winning QB IMO.

819053[/snapback]

So which is it? :P

A new GM, a new head coach, new coaches everywhere, a new system on both sides, a 2nd year QB, and a depleted talent base - who didn't expect a rebuilding year?? However, with the new OL shift we may find ourselves in pretty good shape for the future. What do we really need (assuming we have a QB) - RT, LG, RG, maybe a #2 receiver, a DT (and then we'll have depth as well), a CB (if Youboty pans out this will be good depth again), and a ML. Sounds like a lot but we do have the draft and if Chris V., Fletcher, Clements, and Troy Vincent's remaining contractual obligations all are let go next year we'll have another $15M on top of our right now $10 under the cap salary structure. That's a good amount of cash to fill relatively cheap positions (RT, LG, RG, #2, ML - a stud DT will be $$$). The remaining players are pretty young across the board.

I'm just praying the OL shuffle pays off. Imagine if Gandy is really a pretty good G. More importantly, imagine if Pennington can play NFL RT. It that panned out, we'd have a young OL and Preston or Reyes as depth.

Things are not hopeless. But, unfortunately, we are rebuilding this year. Hppe for progress as much as victories.

819053[/snapback]

Bye.

We may be doormats in 2007, 2008, 2009, etc

But JP has progressed!!!! Look at 2015!

819065[/snapback]

Is this the only thing you concern yourself with on this team? Do you seriously think that if the Bills replaced JP they'd immediately be a contender?

Definitely not doormats (although we've played like doormats the last three games). I think we are a very average team but better than last year and will have a much better season after the bye than we did in the first seven games. That being said..6 to 8 wins is all I'm realistically hoping for.

I also have been disappointed by Jauron who I do not think has put his players into a scheme which allows them to perform better.  I think a better scheme for the players will not make this team a playoff team and good schemes do not turn bad players into good ones.  Yet, i think we might have another vicotory or two if this team were not so hidebound committed to things like the Cover 2 which are safeties are not experienced enough to play well.  The scheme problems mostly have me disappointed in Jauron who i think would be a better HC if he were more flexible in his approach.  However, i would not condemn him to a certainty of future failure as the lessons of losing may help him change.

819064[/snapback]

I'd argue that there is a sliding scale of approach for a Head Coach. On one end is the "tailor your scheme and constantly adjust to whatever players the GM hands you" vs. "implement a winning scheme, and work towards teaching the players you have that scheme, and building around players who fit that scheme."

You seems to argue that Jauron is too far to the latter end of that scale. I'm not sure that I agree - particularly on defense. The Cover 2 is only the most successful defensive scheme in the NFL right now. I have lot more confidence in implementing this scheme than I did in Gregg Williams ripping out the Wade Phillips scheme to install the "46 defense" that seemed like a relic from a byegone era, and which struck my own personal philosophy as being fundamentally unsound. At times this year, we have started as many as four rookies on defense, with a fifth in heavy rotation, and a sixth, now that we are approaching midseason, waiting in the wings for the rotation (Yobouty.) This is exactly the sort of situation where it makes perfect sense to take your lumps with learning the new scheme, rather than constantly trying to tinker and adjust based on what you have at a given moment. Indeed, by next year, there will almost certainly be further changes on the defense with Clements likely to walk, Fletcher and Spikes on the bubble, and the strong possibility that we might add another defensive end. Right now, it seems clear to me that McGee and Simpson are not working well together in the defensive scheme - but McGee has always been a raw, but unpolished athlete, and Simpson is a 4th round rookie. If there were ever a case to take your lumps with the implementation of a new scheme, it seems to me that this would be that sort of situation.

JDG

819053[/snapback]

i didnt want dick jauron here in the 1st place and what really sucks is the nfl was teasing the jets for getting that rookie coach from the patriotsand also starting two rookies on their offensive line well...the jigs up the jets are 4-3 and we are 2-5.but hey at least we are better than miami lol lol see ya gotta find the good in everything.go bills in"2010

I'd argue that there is a sliding scale of approach for a Head Coach.  On one end is the "tailor your scheme and constantly adjust to whatever players the GM hands you" vs. "implement a winning scheme, and work towards teaching the players you have that scheme, and building around players who fit that scheme."   

You seems to argue that Jauron is too far to the latter end of that scale.  I'm not sure that I agree - particularly on defense.  The Cover 2 is only the most successful defensive scheme in the NFL right now.  I have lot more confidence in implementing this scheme than I did in Gregg Williams ripping out the Wade Phillips scheme to install the "46 defense" that seemed like a relic from a byegone era, and which struck my own personal philosophy as being fundamentally unsound.  At times this year, we have started as many as four rookies on defense, with a fifth in heavy rotation, and a sixth, now that we are approaching midseason, waiting in the wings for the rotation (Yobouty.)    This is exactly the sort of situation where it makes perfect sense to take your lumps with learning the new scheme, rather than constantly trying to tinker and adjust based on what you have at a given moment.  Indeed, by next year, there will almost certainly be further changes on the defense with Clements likely to walk, Fletcher and Spikes on the bubble, and the strong possibility that we might add another defensive end.  Right now, it seems clear to me that McGee and Simpson are not working well together in the defensive scheme - but McGee has always been a raw, but unpolished athlete, and Simpson is a 4th round rookie.  If there were ever a case to take your lumps with the implementation of a new scheme, it seems to me that this would be that sort of situation.

JDG

819154[/snapback]

I wonder why Youboty isn't getting worked in more than he is ?

I wonder why Youboty isn't getting worked in more than he is ?

819172[/snapback]

1) He missed a ton of camp, and the knock on him when he was drafted was that he was very athletic, but also very raw, and not yet ready for the NFL.

2) Jabari Greer and Kiwaukee Thomas are still better at this point. Moreover, with five corners on the roster, one of the corners is typically going to be on the inactive list on gamedays. Right now, Yobouty is the logical choice for that, which also doesn't let us insert hi into the game here and there for experience.

JDG