Recent OL moves- indictment of coach. staff

genomich

Yup. Its nice ot see a front office/coaching staff that seems ot be proactive about the teams problems. It also gives me faith that the OL will receive its due attention in this upcoming offseason.

815663[/snapback]

If Pennington and Merz can play, the Bills will have already addressed the bulk of the OL problem and Marv will look like a genius.

If Pennington and Merz can play, the Bills will have already addressed the bulk of the OL problem and Marv will look like a genius.

815710[/snapback]

Agreed. even if one of them is solid, its a big boost. tack on another decent OL or 2 this offseason, and we can turn it around.

but if they work out, they how can people B word about the '06 draft?

Agreed... no doubt though IMO that it also confirms that Marv, Modrak, and co. totally sh-- the bed this past off-season by not making the OL the #1 priority. Unlike TD, maybe Marv will wake up & learn something from this.

815655[/snapback]

They focused on the defence first and tried to improve the o-line through FA. THey did bring in Fowler and Reyes (yeah, I know they suck, should have been Hutch and Bentley, Ralph is cheap, marv is senile, DJ just sucks) and they brought in some young guys later in the draft. I don't think anyone expected them to have everything fixed in the first offseason and first draft. I'm sure teh entire organisation knows that this offseason they will need to continue to upgrade the lines which have been a work in progress for years.

You can call it whatever you want....it's necessary. I'd much rather they start messing around with it and giving new people the chance to step up as opposed to just pretending nothing is wrong.

815621[/snapback]

Agreed....as some one said looooong ago.....the biggest roadblock to a problem is accepting that we have a problem....

Now that we have done that, let us move forward to fix it.

Ummmm...I don't know if you've noticed, but we're 2-5. I'd say we're pretty !@#$ing desperate.

815576[/snapback]

I don't think we are desperate because of the record, because I think this season is more about how we play than the record. But I do think we are desperate because of how we played. It might sound strange, but I would prefer a solid progressing 2-5 to a crappy lucky 3-4 right now. The problem is we have a crappy 2-5 which is even worse.

The reality is we probably should have lost to the Bears and New England even if we had played reasonably well. But we should have played much better in each of those games, played pretty terrible football, and on top of it lost to a Detroit team that we should have beaten.

That's why I don't mind the inexperienced but potential upside young players playing above the mediocre veterans. I'm still sticking with my JP should get 16 starts and worry about it after the season. Nall just isn't a good enough alternative to even consider a in season move. This isn't Bledsoe (past) for Romo (future), but is one talented young uncertainty (Losman) for another less talented less young less certain (Nall), which I think is a no thanks for me.

Jauron's job is to teach this young team the offense and defense they are going to run, and have them get better and grow over the course of the season, whatever the record is. Things looked good in that regard for the first four games (despite two frustrating losses in winnable games), but have looked much worse over the last three games.

I hope to God we have the chance to bring in some badass lineman this offseason. Even if we just find ONE dominant guy on each line, that would be wonderful. Schobel is good, but he's not dominant by any means. We need one game changing Dlineman to go with our current group and one guy on the Oline who can just play lights out. I'd be thrilled with that.

815667[/snapback]

If you're looking for a big OL in the draft....Jake Long from Michigan. He's an Outland and Lombardi candidate and has great mobility for a 6-7, 316 lb. left tackle. The only problem is that he's a junior, so who knows if he'll be available this year. He's probably the main reason that Chad Henne has had time to throw and that Mike Hart is running like he is. Just remember that name.

If you're looking for a big OL in the draft....Jake Long from Michigan. He's an Outland and Lombardi candidate and has great mobility for a 6-7, 316 lb. left tackle. The only problem is that he's a junior, so who knows if he'll be available this year. He's probably the main reason that Chad Henne has had time to throw and that Mike Hart is running like he is. Just remember that name.

815830[/snapback]

Sounds like the sort of guy I'd love to see on the team. Big badass from a NORTHERN school. Not that I'm opposed to drafting players from down south, but the whole Roscoe Parrish "I'm scared of snow and not leaving my apartment!" fiasco is still fresh in my mind. We need lineman who aren't afraid to play in the conditions....the way football was meant to be played, IMO.

Why do people keep saying Merz is going to get all this playing time? From what I've read, the Bills' starting OL lineup will be:

Peters

Gandy

Fowler

Villarrial

Pennington

I know Merz is getting a little time due to injuries, but I haven't read anything which would suggest that the plan is for him to be on the field when all five starters are healthy.

Sounds like the sort of guy I'd love to see on the team. Big badass from a NORTHERN school. Not that I'm opposed to drafting players from down south, but the whole Roscoe Parrish "I'm scared of snow and not leaving my apartment!" fiasco is still fresh in my mind. We need lineman who aren't afraid to play in the conditions....the way football was meant to be played, IMO.

815843[/snapback]

I agree with this...get someone used to playing in the conditions and not someone who's been coddled by playing in Florida, southern California, and Arizona for 4 years. It's getting a bit old hearing some of these guys say how they don't like winter.

And it seems like a lot of the good linemen come from the U of Michigan....John Runyan is one that comes to mind and I believe a few have played for the Broncos over the years - notice how they *usually* have a great running game?

I agree with this...get someone used to playing in the conditions and not someone who's been coddled by playing in Florida, southern California, and Arizona for 4 years. It's getting a bit old hearing some of these guys say how they don't like winter.

And it seems like a lot of the good linemen come from the U of Michigan....John Runyan is one that comes to mind and I believe a few have played for the Broncos over the years - notice how they *usually* have a great running game?

815974[/snapback]

Absolutely, I think playing in a cold weather climate speaks to the sort of mentality the player has. Sure, that's a pretty big generalization, but the fact of the matter is that there ARE players - GOOD players - who thrive in colder weather. I just think that we need to take that into consideration when we bring in players, cause it's been a LONG time since our house was the advantage that it ought to be.

Jim Kelly went to Miami, but for all I know that was because he wanted hot women and great partying weather, lol. Obviously he's a northerner at heart, and the results were evident. Hell, you could even say the same thing about Flutie. While I know there are other factors involved, I think the fact that they were born and raised in colder climates may have at least a little to do with their success. Then of course you have Brett Favre.....he pretty much screws my whole point, but then again he's one of the greatest of all time :blink:

I think everybody and their half-sister knows that our offensive line is the problem, has been the problem, and always will be the problem until it's fixed. I've heard enough comments from Ralph, Marv, and Dick to know that they realize we don't have the talent to compete in the trenches.

815587[/snapback]

But if they knew that and I believe they did know this before the season why did Marv go safety, DT corner, corner?

But if they knew that and I believe they did know this before the season why did Marv go safety, DT corner, corner?

816012[/snapback]

I think Marv is on record saying that they focused on building the defense first.

Glad to see Peters get some reps at LT.  Its much easier to fill the RT spot then the LT.  Go Jason Peters!

815668[/snapback]

Honestly, moving Peters to LT is the best O-line move this team has made in years. I have a very good feeling about him at that position, it takes care of the hardest O-line spot and will allow this season and next off-season to be used to address the other spots.

Good luck J.Peters

Sorry, but if Mcnally is such a genius, why are we tearing things up half-way thru the season??!?! this is a move of desperation.

The fact that this is the move, as opposed to Qb switch, means losman isn't the primary problem in the eyes of the coaching staff.

why wasn't the OL addressed in the offseason?!  Reyes looks only marginally better than anderson.  Fowler is a quicker, meeker Teague.

815572[/snapback]

Were tearing the line because what we have is not working and it is time to play the younger guys like Pennington and Merz.

Losman has had problems and many of them are caused by shell shock.

Why wasn't the OL addressed in the offseason?! Great question. It should have been.

Reyes really is only marginally better than Anderson. Reyes is nothing more than a backup. We had a shot at Neal and didn't close the deal.

Fowler really is an upgrade over Teague. Very athletic. Put a couple of studs next to him and he will shine.

Why wasn't the OL addressed in the offseason?!  Great question.  It should have been.

816080[/snapback]

I can't help but feel for the Mcfarlands and Geisingers of the world. The team didn't hit rock bottom in time to make use of their TWO years on the practice roster (and stints in NFL Europe).

Same picks by the same people. For those of you who like the idea of rebuilding that should make intuitive sense.

This has the smell of desperation. Thankfully, I am on board with desperation...