3 more players bite the dust

GB's WR Koren Robinson, 1 year suspension for booze and fleeing the police.  DET dt Shaun Rogers - 4 games for a bannned OTC substance.  ATL starting G Matt Lehr - 4 games for anabolic steriods and ephedrine.

808749[/snapback]

Damn, I was hoping Gandy would show up on that list. :P

GB's WR Koren Robinson, 1 year suspension for booze and fleeing the police.  DET dt Shaun Rogers - 4 games for a bannned OTC substance.  ATL starting G Matt Lehr - 4 games for anabolic steriods and ephedrine.

808749[/snapback]

How do you get just 4 games for steroids?

That's blatant cheating. If I'm the commissioner, you're done for the season. Second offense = done for life.

How do you get just 4 games for steroids?

That's blatant cheating.  If I'm the commissioner, you're done for the season.  Second offense = done for life.

808832[/snapback]

Because just as s.i.c. said, half the NFL would be suspended.

Genetics, whatever.....I don't think it is possible for a human to be built like Cornelius Bennett was when he was on our team. Obviously, this is only one example.

So be it.  I'd root for replacement players just as hard.

808852[/snapback]

So would I, but there is a lot involved here. The NFL is growing like no sport has ever grown, at least not in my lifetime.

I think that many African-American and Hispanic kids are starting to watch, as well as a VERY important demographic.......women.

Years ago, I would go to sports bars and there would be all men. The last time I went to one, there were women galore wearing assorted (many out of town) jerseys. It was like a pick-up place. :doh:

The "football widow" thing is all but over. I read a survey (sorry, no link) that many men would actually prefer watching the game with their wives as well as their friends. It actually isn't a bad thing. :)

Is there a pre-season game in Bejing next year? If so, imagine the potential audience/fan base!!! I hope againt all hope that the Bills stay in WNY, and that the reigon can cash in on this boom.

In any event, I don't think that the league nor the union wants a big controversey any time soon.

Jmo.

So would I, but there is a lot involved here. The NFL is growing like no sport has ever grown, at least not in my lifetime.

I think that many African-American and Hispanic kids are starting to watch, as well as a VERY important demographic.......women.

Years ago, I would go to sports bars and there would be all men. The last time I went to one, there were women galore wearing assorted (many out of town) jerseys. It was like a pick-up place.  :doh:

The "football widow" thing is all but over. I read a survey (sorry, no link) that many men would actually prefer watching the game with their wives as well as their friends. It actually isn't a bad thing.  :)

Is there a pre-season game in Bejing next year? If so, imagine the potential audience/fan base!!! I hope againt all hope that the Bills stay in WNY, and that the reigon can cash in on this boom.

In any event, I don't think that the league nor the union wants a big controversey any time soon.

Jmo.

808873[/snapback]

I understand, but you could make a case for Making Excuses For Not Doing The Right Thing Based On Convenience as the single greatest evil there is.

.......women.

Years ago, I would go to sports bars and there would be all men. The last time I went to one, there were women galore wearing assorted (many out of town) jerseys. It was like a pick-up place.  :)

808873[/snapback]

Definitely true, Bill. I hang with a large group of people, and a couple of weeks ago we were all at a sports bar for the games. We had three tables reserved and there were a few girls with us. As we rotated, I found myself with three of the women (a friend from work, my buddy's sister, and my other buddy's wife). The friend from work (a total hottie) was wearing her McNabb jersey. During the Iggles-Cowboys game, she was intensely into it. At one point she yelled, "Oh my god, oh my god, OH MY GOD!!!" I turned to my buddy's wife and deadpanned, "I often have this effect on women." :doh:

There were all kinds of women there. I like this trend.

Damn, I was hoping Gandy would show up on that list. :doh:

808752[/snapback]

As much as I agree with your dislike for Gandy I truly worry that a scandal like this will hit Orchard Park sooner or later. I have confidence in the Bills players and I truly, deeply hope that no one on that team is using anything that is banned by the NFL.

If a B-flo player made the news for something bad then all hell would break loose in the media.

The Bills can't get any coverage to begin with but you know that if something negative hit Buffalo all the news outlets would question and criticize everything about the organization. It would have a devastating effect, not necessarily because the team is 2-4 but that becasue the team has had a terrible 2 weeks.

Kind of like the dump that shattered the toilet.

I will get Flamed for this I'm sure but I'll be honest I'd rather see a player get longer supensions for DUI then for steroids. I really don't care if a player has juiced or not and as far as ephedrine being banned...Gimie a break!!! Next they'll be banning caffine before games.

809243[/snapback]

My post above shows my fears if a scandal hit Buffalo.

My post here is in complete agreement with yours. Going crazy with testing and banning substances is a double edged sword on just about every level.

Yes you clean up the leagues reputation and cater to the fans that have serious concerns over enhancement substances.

But at the same time if you went nuts and tested everyone without warning how many players would not test positive for something? All this testing is going to damage the leagues reputation because sooner or later it will appear to the average spectator that every player is an immoral, low life drug user.

I propose random testing, have the players regularly observed by health auditors, if they are showing major changes or signs of questionable substance use then test them and get them outta there. Otherwise, leave it alone. This is the same policy that most places of employement use, make a screw up on the job, get tested. Show up late 4 days in a row, get tested. etc etc.

As far as ephedra goes, idiots and meth-heads ruined that for everyone. I used ephedra for years in small doses to supplement workouts and weight loss. Mixed with proper hydration and proper diet it had no negative side effects on me. (I've had several EKG's since and my heart is in excellent shape)

Ephedra got ruined because young players, usually jsut out of college thought that they played better after eating 50 pills and then forgettig to eat or drink water, the body cannot handle that, so they died or got really really sick. Hate to say it but only the smart/strong survive. Meth-heads is self explannatory.

My post above shows my fears if a scandal hit Buffalo.

My post here is in complete agreement with yours.  Going crazy with testing and banning substances is a double edged sword on just about every level.

Yes you clean up the leagues reputation and cater to the fans that have serious concerns over enhancement substances.

But at the same time if you went nuts and tested everyone without warning how many players would not test positive for something?  All this testing is going to damage the leagues reputation because sooner or later it will appear to the average spectator that every player is an immoral, low life drug user.

I propose random testing, have the players regularly observed by health auditors, if they are showing major changes or signs of questionable substance use then test them and get them outta there.  Otherwise, leave it alone.  This is the same policy that most places of employement use, make a screw up on the job, get tested.  Show up late 4 days in a row, get tested.  etc etc.

As far as ephedra goes, idiots and meth-heads ruined that for everyone.  I used ephedra for years in small doses to supplement workouts and weight loss.  Mixed with proper hydration and proper diet it had no negative side effects on me.  (I've had several EKG's since and my heart is in excellent shape)

Ephedra got ruined because young players, usually jsut out of college thought that they played better after eating 50 pills and then forgettig to eat or drink water, the body cannot handle that, so they died or got really really sick.  Hate to say it but only the smart/strong survive.  Meth-heads is self explannatory.

809318[/snapback]

I am suprised to find someone who is in agreement with me.

Ephedra was ruined by the meth head as well as those who used it with no sense of discipline.

As far as the Steroids go (test, winny or whatever combo of aas that is common in the NFL now) If used by someone who knows what they are doing is less harmfull than Booze, Weed or even nicotine.