Thank god for the Bears pulling that victory out

bluv

is much better than JP and how we should have taken him and similar BS. To all those who want to jump on Leinart’s bandwagon and bash JP, PLEASE! I’ll give Leinart one advantage over JP in that he does seem to have a better feel for the rush and seems to get rid off the ball quick. That is because he doesn’t have the arm to get the ball down the field over 20 yards with any zip so he looks to get rid off the ball quick. At least their coaching staff was smart enough to call a lot of short quick passes to at least give Arizona and their playmaking WR's a fighting chance. When the Bears started to crowd those short passes, Leinart and Arizona didn’t have a chance. No matter what anybody says, JP has shown the ability to setup quick on 3 step drops and make quick throws when such plays are called. I mean he hasn’t had a 60% completion percentage by luck. In our scheme they aren’t called enough. But what JP can do that Leinart will never be able to do is to go up top and stretch the field and scramble and make plays. So if defenses start to crowd the line a few occasional bombs will back defenses back if the proper playcalling is made.

Yet in still JP deserves some blame as he does hold onto the ball too long on occasions when his first read isn’t open. Yesterday I looked at the highlights on the Sunday Ticket shortcuts of our game against the Lions and you can see the difference between the teams. Kitna had about as much or more pressure on him as JP had but he didn’t hold onto the ball as his first read, Roy Williams was consistently open and he didn’t have to hold it very long. Combine that with a 100 yard running game, 20 points aren’t hard to come by. JP actually had decent time in the pocket to at least setup besides 2-3 plays. But instead of giving JP and the O-line all the blame the coaching staff deserves the biggest blame. With the plays called and the confusion the Lion’s coverage caused, JP held the ball too long until late in the 3rd and 4th quarter where they finally realized that the Lions, LIKE MOST TEAMS expected us to go deep 75% of the time and look to take that away for they know JP and Fairchild aren’t patient enough to take what the defense gives them. If quicker passes were called our O-Line wouldn’t consistently look as bad. Instead of constantly pass blocking for 5-7 step drops and waiting for deeper plays to develop 70% they would have far shorter 3rd down conversions and more opportunities to run the ball. No I’m not saying that our line is anything close to being good but is not as bad as some has made it out to be or that JP and Fairchild has made them look. With the right adjustment to playcalling to establish rhythm, make some attempt to pass in the middle of the field to force defenses to defend the whole field this team has the talent on offense to make a turn around to at least put up 20 points a game. We might be out of contention when this happen but then they can go on a late season winning streak to et us all hype for 2007 to only be disappointed ( can’t help it; it has happen to may times to this team before!)

That game showed yesterday what a poor O-line is. Our line isn’t half as bad as the Cardinals as they applied constant pressure to Leinart all night and had NO PUSH at all in the run game. Think about it, how may times this year have there been a jailbreak on JP where he hasn’t even had the time to drop back and setup; maybe 5 to 7 times this whole year? I mean Arizona has had that number every game. And what about Edge; the great RB from “da U” who has complained all season about not getting the ball late in games. Then he has a crucial fumble for a TD that gives the game away. I guess he also learn that you aren’t so great without those big boys up front getting a push. For all those dissing McGahee, no RB, especially a powerback can run without getting movement up front.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the outcome of the game is relevant here. Leinart played well. Well enough to win against one of the toughest defense I've seen in years. Yes, he did fumble the ball that resulted in a touchdown for the Bears, but that wasn't Matt's fault.

The truth is Matt Leinart is a rookie, in only his second career start, who held out a good portion of training camp, and still showed more QB poise than JP has ever shown.

That game showed yesterday what a poor O-line is. Our line isn’t half as bad as the Cardinals as they applied constant pressure to Leinart all night and had NO PUSH at all in the run game. Think about it, how may times this year have there been a jailbreak on JP where he hasn’t even had the time to drop back and setup; maybe 5 to 7 times this whole year?

Good point. After watching that game it occured to me that I truly didn't know what bad OL play was all about. Now is is a different story, having seen the light.

All our OL needs is a tweak here and there. We should concentrate on replacing Nate (if he walks) with a first round corner or 2. We also could use a little depth at safety.

Are you listening OBD? Focus on the things that really matter, and leave this OL intact. Hey, if it aint broke, don't fix it!

I don't think the outcome of the game is relevant here. Leinart played well. Well enough to win against one of the toughest defense I've seen in years. Yes, he did fumble the ball that resulted in a touchdown for the Bears, but that wasn't Matt's fault.

The truth is Matt Leinart is a rookie, in only his second career start, who held out a good portion of training camp, and still showed more QB poise than JP has ever shown.

807609[/snapback]

I agree. We shouldn't hold that fumble after being hit against the QB (*cough* Kerry *cough* Rhodes *cough*).

Good point. After watching that game it occured to me that I truly didn't know what bad OL play was all about. Now is is a different story, having seen the light.

All our OL needs is a tweak here and there. We should concentrate on replacing Nate (if he walks) with a first round corner or 2. We also could use a little depth at safety.

Are you listening OBD? Focus on the things that really matter, and leave this OL intact. Hey, if it aint broke, don't fix it!

807611[/snapback]

I sense the sarcaism but if we find a quality LT next year and move Gandy to guard or the bench then we wouldn't have the Hogs but it would be manageable. I'm much more concerned with our DT's run stopping ability.

807609[/snapback]

So JP has played good enough to win 3 of the 4 losses we have this season; SO WHAT? I'll tell you what if the Bills had forced 6 Bears turnovers on our side of the 50 and the Bills only score 20 points and lose because JP struggled in the second half, couldn't put the ball in the end zone and put up the exact numbers Leinart did all would be crying how overated JP was!

807609[/snapback]

Don't give the number of starts excuse. If it doesn't work for Losman, it doesn't for Leinart. What I saw last night is a performance that was not arguably any better than Losman's on Sunday, with the same net result. The difference is that he has Boldin and Fitzgerald to leap up and grab those high throws...or are you claiming that Evans and Price are just as good? That is, he has them until they get killed catching said passes...

Sorry, bluv, you're going to get it anyway...in fact it likely won't end this week...

807609[/snapback]

I heard you....If Matt Leinart fumbles, it is not his fault, but if JP is blind sided and fumbles, he had the worst game of his career....

May be JP is not in the same class as Leinart...But as you yourself said you don't need a super start QB....Tom Brady was not a super star coming out fo college but he adapted to NFL pretty good....Before you jump, I am not saying JP is or will ever be a Tom Brady.....The comparison is for the sake of not having to draft a super star QB to succeed....

We already had JP who was a unknown at the beginning of the season...We had so much other needs on this football team...There was no point in taking a leinart at that point, if you don't have the OL to block for him.

Also, I think the Bears were really looking past this game and over-hyped themselves.....What a performance by Rex Grossman, the toast of everyone until yesterday....He could do no wrong......He had 4 INTs and a Fumble....

This team will struglle until they fix the OL....If you go back to my posts in the last 4-5 weeks I have been bitching about how Gandy is sucking and also taking the TEs out of the passing game....I think even Shelton might have been an upgrade over this guy. Until we fix our LT position we are going to be struggling all the way.

I sense the sarcaism but if we find a quality LT next year and move Gandy to guard or the bench then we wouldn't have the Hogs but it would be manageable. I'm much more concerned with our DT's run stopping ability.

807641[/snapback]

Gandy is a UFA next year...He is gone if we find a LT next off season.

I say start Brad Butler at RT and move Peters to LT.....How bad is that change going to be....

So JP has played good enough to win 3 of the 4 losses we have this season; SO WHAT? I'll tell you what if the Bills had forced 6 Bears turnovers on our side of the 50 and the Bills only score 20 points and lose because JP struggled in the second half, couldn't put the ball in the end zone and put up the exact numbers Leinart did all would be crying how overated JP was!

807644[/snapback]

It's important not to overlook the fact that Leinart put his team in position to win that game last night. JP has not been able to move the ball downfield during the closing minutes of the close games.

Personally, I don't care much about Leinart because he's not on our team.

Gandy is a UFA next year...He is gone if we find a LT next off season.

I say start Brad Butler at RT and move Peters to LT.....How bad is that change going to be....

807651[/snapback]

I wouldn't move Peters as he is settled at RT; especially at mid season. Why fix what isn't broken? If a move was to be made it would be move Gandy to guard and bring in an upgrade at LT. But based on what I've seen in the Pre-season I don't see an upgrade on the bench. While an upgrade Gandy should be explored this offseason, that game was an aberation and the worse game Gandy has had as a Bill. He's not a stud but give him some slack as JP does hold the ball too long combined with stubborn playcalling utilizing deep drops. He will just have to make do this year.

It's important not to overlook the fact that Leinart put his team in position to win that game last night. JP has not been able to move the ball downfield during the closing minutes of the close games.

Personally, I don't care much about Leinart because he's not on our team.

807658[/snapback]

You act like JP folds or throws the game away. Leinart had every chance to close that game and didn't deliver much like JP and the Bills have done. How many games this season have JP been put in positions with the ball, down by a FG and the clock running out to win the game? The only game close was against the Jets playing in the rain against a 30 mph wind! And in that game his gutty play got us back in the game.

You act like JP folds or throws the game away. Leinart had every chance to close that game and didn't deliver much like JP and the Bills have done. How many games this season have JP been put in positions with the ball, down by a FG and the clock running out to win the game? The only game close was against the Jets playing in the rain against a 30 mph wind! And in that game his gutty play got us back in the game.

807674[/snapback]

That was Leinart's second start against a very good defense. Leinart is already far ahead of JP in every aspect of his game. JP is not going to be a good QB in this league. Everyone keeps making excuses for JP i.e. OL, no seperation for the receivers, playcalling, etc.. Leinart has less time to throw than JP and was very productive. The Bills have not scored more than 20 against anyone this year. That is pathetic. I am tired of the excuses board members make for this guy.

That was Leinart's second start against a very good defense.  Leinart is already far ahead of JP in every aspect of his game.  JP is not going to be a good QB in this league.  Everyone keeps making excuses for JP i.e. OL, no seperation for the receivers, playcalling, etc..  Leinart has less time to throw than JP and was very productive.  The Bills have not scored more than 20 against anyone this year.  That is pathetic.  I am tired of the excuses board members make for this guy.

807697[/snapback]

And I don't make up excuses for JP as he does hold onto the ball too long and does need to get better but come one you act like JP is stinking up the joint or causing us to loose games. And Leinart being far ahead; give me a break! He capitialize on a few TO's the bears had and great RAC by his recivers to get 2 TD's. Other than that he was shutdown was the Bears clamped down! Like I've said before if JP played on the Bronco's, Ravens, or Steelers he would be sitting pretty as he has played better than those teams QB's and is not losing games by turning the ball over.

Some of you guys are out of your minds, or were not able to stop blowing Losman and get off your knees long enough to see the game.

Leinart didnt have Fitzgerald, he had one go to WR. He didnt have a running game, Edge had like 2 ypc.

He started out hot, standing in the pocket and making perfect reads in the face of pressure. Then, the Cards put it in cruise control.

The Bears made plays on defense and special teams, took the lead.

What does Leinart do? Does he curl up and call for his mommy? Does he say what do I do now? Does he run and hide after he now faces adversity?

No, cool and calm, he drives down the field and sets up a 40 yard game winning fg attempt. Did this against a scary good defense. Did this with an OL that before he started was garbage.

He started out hot, standing in the pocket and making perfect reads in the face of pressure.  Then, the Cards put it in cruise control. 

807788[/snapback]

He attempted 40 plus passes. I wouldn't call that cruise control. He averaged under 10 yards PER COMPLETION, not just attempt.

Some of you guys are out of your minds, or were not able to stop blowing Losman and get off your knees long enough to see the game.

807788[/snapback]

I'll give the kid some respect. But to all you so-call Leinart b@ll washers who act like he is so much better than JP and that we should have drafted him YOU need to wake up and stop annointing him Broadway Joe after 2 AVERAGE performances were he start off fast but faded down the stretch as teams caught on to his dink and dunk offense and give him at least the rest of the season before you anoint him superior!

is much better than JP and how we should have taken him and similar BS. To all those who want to jump on Leinart’s bandwagon and bash JP, PLEASE! I’ll give Leinart one advantage over JP in that he does seem to have a better feel for the rush and seems to get rid off the ball quick. That is because he doesn’t have the arm to get the ball down the field over 20 yards with any zip so he looks to get rid off the ball quick. At least their coaching staff was smart enough to call a lot of short quick passes to at least give Arizona and their playmaking WR's a fighting chance. When the Bears started to crowd those short passes, Leinart and Arizona didn’t have a chance. No matter what anybody says, JP has shown the ability to setup quick on 3 step drops and make quick throws when such plays are called. I mean he hasn’t had a 60% completion percentage by luck. In our scheme they aren’t called enough. But what JP can do that Leinart will never be able to do is to go up top and stretch the field and scramble and make plays. So if defenses start to crowd the line a few occasional bombs will back defenses back if the proper playcalling is made.

Yet in still JP deserves some blame as he does hold onto the ball too long on occasions when his first read isn’t open. Yesterday I looked at the highlights on the Sunday Ticket shortcuts of our game against the Lions and you can see the difference between the teams. Kitna had about as much or more pressure on him as JP had but he didn’t hold onto the ball as his first read, Roy Williams was consistently open and he didn’t have to hold it very long. Combine that with a 100 yard running game, 20 points aren’t hard to come by. JP actually had decent time in the pocket to at least setup besides 2-3 plays. But instead of giving JP and the O-line all the blame the coaching staff deserves the biggest blame. With the plays called and the confusion the Lion’s coverage caused, JP held the ball too long until late in the 3rd and 4th quarter where they finally realized that the Lions, LIKE MOST TEAMS expected us to go deep 75% of the time and look to take that away for they know JP and Fairchild aren’t patient enough to take what the defense gives them. If quicker passes were called our O-Line wouldn’t consistently look as bad. Instead of constantly pass blocking for 5-7 step drops and waiting for deeper plays to develop 70% they would have far shorter 3rd down conversions and more opportunities to run the ball. No I’m not saying that our line is anything close to being good but is not as bad as some has made it out to be or that JP and Fairchild has made them look. With the right adjustment to playcalling to establish rhythm, make some attempt to pass in the middle of the field to force defenses to defend the whole field this team has the talent on offense to make a turn around to at least put up 20 points a game. We might be out of contention when this happen but then they can go on a late season winning streak to et us all hype for 2007 to only be disappointed ( can’t help it; it has happen to may times to this team before!)

That game showed yesterday what a poor O-line is. Our line isn’t half as bad as the Cardinals as they applied constant pressure to Leinart all night and had NO PUSH at all in the run game. Think about it, how may times this year have there been a jailbreak on JP where he hasn’t even had the time to drop back and setup; maybe 5 to 7 times this whole year? I mean Arizona has had that number every game. And what about Edge; the great RB from “da U” who has complained all season about not getting the ball late in games. Then he has a crucial fumble for a TD that gives the game away.  I guess he also learn that you aren’t so great without those big boys up front getting a push. For all those dissing McGahee, no RB, especially a powerback can run without getting movement up front.

807582[/snapback]

Good post. I agree escpecially with the Edge and McGahee comparison. I agree that Fairchild's play calling hasn't been perfect this year. We need more short pass routes over the middle and three step drops.

Hilarious...I said the SAME thing to my Bears fan roommate last night while we were watching the game. I was pulling for the Bears simply so that I didn't have to hear the "we should've drafted Leinart" BS...

Granted, he's had a couple of good starts, but there's such a thing called conditional success. Whats working in AZ for Leinart might not work in Buffalo, and frankly, we can beat that horse to death, but damnit, we've got JP and the draft isn't for another 6 months, so we're sticking to our guns.