It is called "rebuilding"

todd

In fact I was going to say that the rookies have been making lesser mistakes than the Veterans...It is the veterans who have made the major blunders in the ball game.  In fact Spikes should hold all the Vets responsible for any of the losses.

Even in the Detroit game, Simpson made a great play to make the INT at the goalline to save a definite 3 points and a possible TD.....

We need to fix the lines....Tim Anderson is not getting it done on the D.

807945[/snapback]

But as I have mentioned before. I am not sure how well the rookie safeties are playing. Part of the proble evaluating rookies in the secondary is figuring out who has coverage responsibility. I have read several places, that there was some concern that Whitner and Simpson are reacting slow to pick up the coverage. This is forcing Clements and Mcgee to hold coverage longer or "appear" to be out of position expecting overtop coverage from a safety.

I'm guessing that probably part of why Mcgee and Clements look poor this year. Having the vets who know how to react as the play develops is cleaner and allows the corners to just know the coverage is there. I suspect the same is true for over the middle stuff where LB support is needed as well. Too much thinking, not reacting to the play.

I agree with much of this post.

Much of it, but not all of it. Rebuilding is (or at least it SHOULD be) a short-term process in today's NFL. What we have here is something utterly different. What we have here is systematic failure to do just about anything right at all levels of the organization.

Be it talent scouting, drafting, coaching, preparation, tackling, hell even vending. This team has had some serious issues since the loss in Tennessee, and it's been a long time since anything or anyone on the team has given the fans something to be overjoyed about.

We are the anti-patriots.

I agree. We all got a little bit ahead of outselves. We went into this season knowing a lot of things had to change and a lot of young players had to develop and that there still were holes in the roster. But coming out of the gate, the Bills came close to beating the Pats on their field and then went and beat the Dolphins in Miami. Since so many "experts" were saying the fins were a playoff, even a Super Bowl team, we naturally thought the Bills were much farther along than they really are.

Then the Jets game; yes we lost, but we put up big offensive numbers. Tne the Bills beat the Vikings, another team people said would be a playoff competitor.

But the fact is, and always was, that both Bills' lines were suspect, J.P. if he is going to make it (and that's not sure, but I still think he will) still has a way to go, and we are starting two rookies in the defensive backfield.

I fully expect us to get beat by the Pats on Sunday. Right now, and after that, I think its easy to get an unduly negative view of this team. The idea that they would be 2-4 after their first six games would not have surprised us at all in August. The fact that they are likely to be 2-4 after six should therefor not cause us to tear our hair out (though, like anyone, I hate watching it).

I'm just looking for improvement in the second half of the season, and figuring out what needs to be done in the off season. We'll see.

Who? I only see 3 now that Spikes is back. 4 I assume is Ellison. But who is 5? Don't say Mcargo because jauron even said he got minimal playing time the first 4 weeks, and now is out.

807932[/snapback]

[/quoWhitner, Simpson, McCargo, Williams and Ellison, now our oline is starting to get nicked up a bit so they have been in some in relief situations. McCargo started out having just as much time as the other tackles, either way its to many

I'm all for the rebuilding plan and understand we aren't a Superbowl contender but, we haven't made the playoffs since the late 90's, try to understand everyones lack of patience

808520[/snapback]

Lack of patience isn't the word here its the franchise that can get anything done right.

I've been through the rebuilding of back to back 2-14 seasons (and then I think a 4-12 season) but at least through those seasons we saw signs of hope, (Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, etc). I'm not seeing much here. Are we supposed to get all exicted by Larry Triplett, any of our offensive linemen, Digorgio, Ellison?

I don't see much reason so see any improvement next year either. We got rid of marginal players drafted by Donahoe and replaced them with equally mariginal players. Add to that the fact that we've been rebuilding since Kelly retired the fan's patience is understandably at its limit. Until the Bill's give us some glimmer of hope (more than JP's slight improvement) stating that this is just a rebuilding year doesn't cut it, you have to have something to build on and this looks like the same 'ole lousy Bill's of the Donahoe era, we still need a brand new offensive and defensive line (assuming that JP works out).

I didn't expect the team to have a winning record this year and as long as they were competitive I wouldn't care.

807724[/snapback]

It seems to me that we have been in every game with the exception of the Bears game.......Even though the "Team" had its share of problems. But non the less they were in the games till the end.

They say that it takes two to three years to rebuild a team, please correct me if I am wrong, have we had a coach since Marv that has been a board for longer than TWO years? When they change the play books, player types, schemes, coaches and everything else envolved as they have we will be lucky to make the post season Its hard with FA to get players to want to come to your team except for the payload or others rejects until some stability happens, and easy to loose young tallent to FA because they dont want to stay. .....Once a little stability settles in, the rest will fall into place!

I believe those of us that have been fans since we were knee high to a grass hopper has seen worse teams fielded as well as better! At the beginning of every season, I hope this is the one, I watch the games, yell at the screen(been told I am funner to watch than the game), then when it is over I go on about my day. I know its just a game, win or lose, I still have to go to work. Yes I am tired of hearing da bills cant win one, but some day, some day, I will be able to say yes they have! Maybe not this year but some time! I just have the faith!

It seems to me that we have been in every game with the exception of the Bears game.......Even though the "Team" had its share of problems.  But non the less they were in the games till the end.

They say that it takes two to three years to rebuild a team, please correct me if I am wrong, have we had a coach since Marv that has been a board for longer than TWO years?  When they change the play books, player types, schemes, coaches and everything else envolved as they have we will be lucky to make the post season Its hard with FA to get players to want to come to your team except for the payload or others rejects until some stability happens, and easy to loose young tallent to FA because they dont want to stay. .....Once a little stability settles in, the rest will fall into place!

I believe those of us that have been fans since we were knee high to a grass hopper has seen worse teams fielded as well as better! At the beginning of every season, I hope this is the one, I watch the games, yell at the screen(been told I am funner to watch than the game), then when it is over I go on about my day.  I know its just a game, win or lose, I still have to go to work.  Yes I am tired of hearing da bills cant win one, but some day, some day, I will be able to say yes they have!  Maybe not this year but some time!  I just have the faith!

810109[/snapback]

I completely agree with what your saying. Your right on the money with that amen brother.

.....Once a little stability settles in, the rest will fall into place!

810109[/snapback]

I think that right there is the one thing, more than any other, that Marv et al. needs to do. I think they've already started with some of the moves they've made. Players moves, new schemes, constant retoolind, these things breed losing records more than anything else.

Marv needs to change the atmosphere around this team and that means stability and a sound plan. The rest will follow.

The alternative approach (i.e. the Redskins) is to sign big time players and coaches; and that may produce some wins and lots of hype. But, in the end, hoe many teams build long term success that way.

It seems to me that we have been in every game with the exception of the Bears game.......Even though the "Team" had its share of problems.  But non the less they were in the games till the end.

They say that it takes two to three years to rebuild a team, please correct me if I am wrong, have we had a coach since Marv that has been a board for longer than TWO years?  When they change the play books, player types, schemes, coaches and everything else envolved as they have we will be lucky to make the post season Its hard with FA to get players to want to come to your team except for the payload or others rejects until some stability happens, and easy to loose young tallent to FA because they dont want to stay. .....Once a little stability settles in, the rest will fall into place!

I believe those of us that have been fans since we were knee high to a grass hopper has seen worse teams fielded as well as better! At the beginning of every season, I hope this is the one, I watch the games, yell at the screen(been told I am funner to watch than the game), then when it is over I go on about my day.  I know its just a game, win or lose, I still have to go to work.  Yes I am tired of hearing da bills cant win one, but some day, some day, I will be able to say yes they have!  Maybe not this year but some time!  I just have the faith!

810109[/snapback]

Agreee but I don't take much solace by being "in every game" most losing teams are in most of their games with a few blowouts in between. It's not so much a matter of bad team playing well it's the good team playing down to the bad team. We had plenty of close losses during the 2-14 years and we've had plenty of close losses during the Gregg Williams and Mularkey years as well. The Bills are just a bad team, coming close to the Patriots doesn't prove anything.

For some people it was never about rebuilding. 

It's about certain individuals making sure people on a messageboard know that they were right, in capital letters, that so-and-so sucked and they knew it all along, or that they know so-and-so will never be good because they played football in HS. 

It's not about watching a football team take a few steps forward each week and rooting for them win or lose.  It's not about knocking back a few beers with your buddies after digging graves or delivering the mail all week long.  It's about making sure everyone around them knows that they were right, and everyone else was wrong, or worse yet, chooses to be a fan just because they have the audacity to root for their home squad, win or lose.

For those people, the beer will never be cold enough.  For those people, the wings will never be hot enough.  For those people, no win will ever be satisfying. 

Well I say !@#$ them.

806770[/snapback]

So true. I remember two years ago, when the Bills had th slight chance of sneaking into the playoffs. People started complaining about they played/beat. Quality wins. Who f'in cares quality or not, they would have been in the playoffs. You got to be in it to have a chance at winning it.

It's comparable to the Sabres, every year "they suck", "they aren't going to make the playoffs".... whine, whine, whine. Then, some REBUILDING, a few years of losing and then whammo look at them now. And of course, all of the whiners are back on the high horse stating they never doubted or never left.

Same will and is happening with the Bills.