Wow - article on Bills' missed tackles

Really, less talent.  Look at it with open eyes, and not at potential, but what they are doing right here and right now:

QB - Kitna vs. Losman  - probably a push

RB - Jones vs Mcgahee - probably a push

WR -  Wiliams&Williams vs. Evans&Price  -  Detroit

OL - who cares they both suck

DL -  We have better DE's they have a better interior line especially with Rogers

LB - be honest, I think the lions overall have a better LB corp

CB -  Bly&Bryant vs Clements/Mcgee - Buffalo has the advantage

S - Bullocks/Holt vs. Witner/Simpson -  honestly our make too many mistakes in coverage, probably even.  Again, not potential.  Both are young crews. 

So we are even in 4 categories, ahead in 1 and Lions better in 2. 

So on paper they are probably a better team.  Not Jaurons fault at this point.  He has overall subpar talent, and it's his job to take the young kids and grow them.  We'll see.  One thing I don't see is the look of a deer in headlights like Mularkey had.  Will Jauron be good, I haven't a clue, but he's better than meathead, with less talent. 

Let's give him a year to see,

808817[/snapback]

I think the Bills had a clear advantage in every category against the Lions except D line. This includes QB, RB, TEs, O Line, LBs, CBs and Special Teams. I saw a team that lacked the passion to play. I saw this as the reason they lost the game. A game that was not nearly as close as the score would indicate.

He's going to get three years to prove himself, I know that. But that won't stop me from wanting him to quit if they continue to play without passion. I wish that Marv could be the head coach. If Joe Pa can still coach, so to can Levy. Why this is such a crazy idea to some here is more than puzzling to me. I'm tired of watching a badly coached team not caring while they're getting their collective a$$es kicked in by an even worse group of losers.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VA, I recall hearing the odd comment from this or that analyst, that the Lions - thanks to their higher draft positions for quite a while - have accumulated some decent enough talent. How their management has handled it is a different story.

And Kitna certainly has his physical limitations, but he's a smart enough vet, and has had some success with an offense "tuned" to his skills.

A 3 point road loss is not disaster...certainly no reason to change a staff in mid-stream.

808825[/snapback]

Until I started thinking about it, looking at each position and matching against what the Lions had, I wondered how we lost. But if you objectively look at it, they really do have more talent top to bottom. I think we have some potential with Evans, Mcgahee, Ellison, Simpson, Witner, and Williams. But right now, they are primarily potential with a sspark here and there. They still make too many young and rookie mistakes to honestly have to depend on them to consistantly do them to do their job and "win" a game for us.

I think the Bills had a clear advantage in every category against the Lions except D line. This includes QB, RB, TEs, O Line, LBs, CBs and Special Teams. I saw a team that lacked the passion to play. I saw this as the reason they lost the game. A game that was not nearly as close as the score would indicate.

He's going to get three years to prove himself, I know that. But that won't stop me from wanting him to quit if they continue to play without passion. I wish that Marv could be the head coach. If Joe Pa can still coach, so to can Levy. Why this is such a crazy idea to some here is more than puzzling to me. I'm tired of watching a badly coached team not caring while they're getting their collective a$$es kicked in by an even worse group of losers.

808827[/snapback]

I forgot ST's but you're not being objective. You're going off potential, and we have plenty but right here, right now the overall ability just isn't there week in and week out.

Really, less talent.  Look at it with open eyes, and not at potential, but what they are doing right here and right now:

QB - Kitna vs. Losman  - probably a push

808817[/snapback]

Less talent?!

If you think Kitna is as talented as Losman you really are more delusional than this board gives you credit for. If you think he's got worlds more experience than JP and has seen everything and knows what to expect and how to react, more than Losman, that's another story.

Less talent?!

If you think Kitna is as talented as Losman you really are more delusional than this board gives you credit for.  If you think he's got worlds more experience than JP and has seen everything and knows what to expect and how to react, more than Losman, that's another story.

808834[/snapback]

That's part of the talent. Vet savvy. Last time I checked that counts a lot.

And please don't confuse athletic ability and potential for talent.

I forgot ST's but you're not being objective.  You're going off potential, and we have plenty but right here, right now the overall ability just isn't there week in and week out.

808833[/snapback]

I think I was being objective. I think Losman is a better QB than Kitna and he would have proven it if he wasn't getting killed by a Bills O line that clearly took the day off. Just think how Kitna would have done if our defensive line gave the pressure Detriot's D line was giving. The Bills should have had a field day against Detriot's banged up offensive line. The missed tackles for the Bills was sickening and had more to do with players not giving 100%, than players that don't know how to tackle. I also think that McGahee is a much better back than Jones. I guess we'll see exactly how each team/players compares to one another after the season is over. The final win loss total and stats will prove the arguement one way or the other.

I think I was being objective. I think Losman is a better QB than Kitna and he would have proven it if he wasn't getting killed by a Bills O line that clearly took the day off. Just think how Kitna would have done if our defensive line gave the pressure Detriot's D line was giving. The Bills should have had a field day against Detriot's banged up offensive line. The missed tackles for the Bills was sickening and had more to do with players not giving 100%, than players that don't know how to tackle. I also think that McGahee is a much better back than Jones. I guess we'll see exactly how each team/players compares to one another after the season is over. The final win loss total and stats will prove the arguement one way or the other.

808847[/snapback]

But we're superior dammit.

808847[/snapback]

Again waiting to see what happens is "potential". Ability right now happening on the field is talent. :doh:

That's part of the talent.  Vet savvy.  Last time I checked that counts a lot. 

And please don't confuse athletic ability and potential for talent.

808839[/snapback]

To me, that's what talent is. It's the gifts you have, what you're born with. Skill is what is acquired when you hone that talent and work on it every day.

This is a semantic argument. But I'll argue that every day, JP Losman is more talented than John Kitna. He will always be able to do things that John Kitna can never do. What separates Kitna, if anything, is the way he has used his limited talents to build his skill in the game.

Been out of town, sorry if this was already posted, but this is wild - no wonder they want to trade Clements:

http://wnysportsblogs.com/2006/10/14/hitti...ers-week-5.aspx

Hitting between the numbers, week 5

This entry was posted on 10/14/2006 7:51 AM and is filed under Bills,NFL,Columns.

It’s tough to pick out one culprit behind a 40-7 defeat, but the defensive line would be a good place to start.  “Blown off the ball” may be a cliche, but it accurately describes what the Bears O-line did to Buffalo’s D. 

Due to Clements penchant for missing tackles, he is allowing almost as many yards after the catch as he does yards in the air.  His 49% YAC rate is second-worst on the team, ahead of only Kiwaukee Thomas.

806223[/snapback]

Assuming the accuracy of the numbers, this was an outstanding observation.

Now would someone please send these numbers to Marv so that he doesn't piss away $40 million or so on an overrated CB!

All the talk about improving should start with both lines. Until the Bills are good in the trenches, all the rest is trivia.

The Bills need Marv Levy to coach like Washington needed Joe Gibbs, Florida state needs Bobbie Bowden, Penn State needs Joe Pa, and the Raiders need Art Shell. There are times to shine, and then there are times to retire, when it isn't the world moving faster, it is you moving slower. I realized that one day, and retired. I can do well at hobbies that I don't have to finish on a schedule, but I can't keep up with younger people, and this is in a profession, not a pick and shovel job. By the way, Tuesday morning quarterbacks column pointed out that mularkey is doing for the dolphins what he did for the bills.

You're clueless if you don't think these last two performances are a direct reflection of Jaroun's abilities of being a successful head coach. You're even more clueless if you don't think that Marv could do 100% better job than Dick is doing, which isn't starting over again buddy. There's not much else I can say if you can't see how soft Jaroun has made this team. Please tune in for Sunday's slaughter due to this team lacking any balls.

808753[/snapback]

And you're clueless if you think changing coaches will make a rat's asshair worth of a difference at this juncture.

Let me spell this out more slowly: new GM, new coaches, new schemes on both sides of the ball, TWENTY new players on a 53-player roster...and we're six freaking weeks into the first season of all of this. Exactly what the hell do you think? That passion and desire will win games? Tell that to the !@#$ing Cardinals, who had more passion and desire than Chicago and still managed to lose a 20-point lead to a team whose offense scored THREE POINTS the whole game.

If you're jonesing for passion and desire, go to strip club.

Well at least Ellison looks like the real deal.  Hopefully we hold on to him for quite a while. 

Anyone find it odd that our FS rookie looks like he's better at tackling that our SS rookie?  Provided that these are accurate stats....

809122[/snapback]

Tackling stats are not official. They basically give them out as attaboys.

And you're clueless if you think changing coaches will make a rat's asshair worth of a difference at this juncture.

Let me spell this out more slowly: new GM, new coaches, new schemes on both sides of the ball, TWENTY new players on a 53-player roster...and we're six freaking weeks into the first season of all of this. Exactly what the hell do you think? That passion and desire will win games? Tell that the to !@#$ing Cardinals, who had more passion and desire than Chicago and still managed to lose a 20-point lead to a team whose offense scored THREE POINTS the whole game.

If you're jonesing for passion and desire, go to strip club.

809129[/snapback]

I'm with you on this one LA. Even Ralph seemed to know that Levy is too old to coach. Besides, Jauron is probably his clone of sorts. :doh:

It is weird enough that Marv is GM. I am actually scared to see what he will do in the 07 draft. Jauron deserves a chance. I like him better than GW and MM, for what that is worth. :)

We have no idea how credible this is ... a blog?

808586[/snapback]

That's what I'm wondering also.

I reacted the same as everyone else initially did, with disgust and contempt for many of the players and fundamental teachings (or lack thereof) by the Bills staff.

If this article is truly credible and these figures are accurate I would think that we (the devoted fans who keep in tune with our teams news and other NFL news) will see this article either referenced to or picked up by a major news source in the next few days.

While these stats are convincing I wonder why other teams and major NFL analysts don't refer to stats like these more often.

Basically what I'm saying is how come articles like these didn't come out 5 years ago?

I'm not shooting the messenger here, nor am I criticizing the original poster. If the stats in this article are true and verifiable it is quite obvious that this team (particularly our veteran leaders) have some very serious fundamental problems.

If ICE were here he's start slamming you for accepting mediocrity simply because it's better than what we had. :doh:

809154[/snapback]

He was a lot of fun. Once, he threatened to sue me, because I told him that he was nuts. :)

He knew his football, but would change his mind all the time, and become a fanatic no matter which side he chose.

I hope the guy is OK, ya know? :devil: